Ultimate SmartLink Lure System

adolson

I'm investigating the best way to not lose lures to snags... I found the Ultimate SmartLink Lure System, and it looks convincing to me, but I wanted to ask the experts.

It's basically a split ring replacement that will allow you to pull lures out of snags, losing only the snagged hook.

http://www.ultimateluresaver.com/ is the site.

release.gif

Apparently Bill Dance uses these... I bet they come in handy when he gets his lure snagged in a spectator's shirt or in his boat seat.

Dana

Keep an old spark plug with you on the boat.If snagged, slip the line into the gap, press against the side of the boat to close the gap, and slide the plug down the line. Jiggle it a few times to unsnag the lure, and reel back in.

Think about any Bill Dance show you've seen...now, have you even seen another boat, cottage, marina, shore fisherman, whatever on the same water? Come to think of it, I can't remember him even standing up in a boat.

As for the link? really? it has to be designed weaker than your line. Hmmmm

Edited by grimsbylander

When something is useless, you can be sure it'll be advertised and sold as a "system". Something as basic as a pillow is now being sold as a sleep system. Have a gander at the "As seen onTV" crap. EZ moves system, painting system, adhesive system, disc repair system, automatic tweezer system....even the banjo minnow was sold as the 110 piece banjo fishing system :)

Thanks. I'll look at the sparkplug idea and the other retriever instead. The logic of these things makes sense, but why risk it, and then have a fish with a hook left in it out there? I feel bad enough the couple times my line snapped with a fish on years ago.

Think about any Bill Dance show you've seen...now, have you even seen another boat, cottage, marina, shore fisherman, whatever on the same water? Come to think of it, I can't remember him even standing up in a boat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POdOBXOXQts

Best thing I bought to cut down on snags has been braided line. I don't mess around with fluoro leaders when I'm fishing for pike and bass...it's a reaction strike, not a finesse presentation....drop shotting excepted.

Spend $15-$20 and get some 30lb test....8lb diameter....it'll rip all kinds of stuff out. Power Pro and Suffix 832 are both great. Heck...you might even bring in a few lures..my best recovery to date was a new williams spoon and a dipsy diver :D

Dana

Keep an old spark plug with you on the boat.If snagged, slip the line into the gap, press against the side of the boat to close the gap, and slide the plug down the line. Jiggle it a few times to unsnag the lure, and reel back in.

thats sound slike a nice trick, what kind of success rate are we talkin?

When something is useless, you can be sure it'll be advertised and sold as a "system". Something as basic as a pillow is now being sold as a sleep system. Have a gander at the "As seen onTV" crap. EZ moves system, painting system, adhesive system, disc repair system, automatic tweezer system....even the banjo minnow was sold as the 110 piece banjo fishing system :)

Awww man just after I ordered a banjo lure system to be shipped to you Roy. :wallbash:

Art

Looks like a good success rate to me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI9aMpZX22w

I will find one and give this a shot the next time I'm snagged (probably tomorrow at Liberty Lake... that's all I catch there. hoping to change that, of course).

Well, you will have to take my word on this. I have successfully retrieved every lure i have used the sparkplug on.As long as the plug is able to reach the lure. If you are useing a longish leader, attached to the main line by a swivel, you may have trouble, but tied with a knot, it will slip over and slide to the lure.A few quick snaps to the left and right makes the plug move in a circular motion, knocking the hook loose.

My Dad learned this from his Dad, and both were guides.Old school works in many situationsclapping.gif

BTW, thats a nice touch with the snap swivel.Old school improved uponthumbsup_anim.gif

Edited by mercman

Thanks. I'll look at the sparkplug idea and the other retriever instead. The logic of these things makes sense,

but why risk it, and then have a fish with a hook left in it out there? I feel bad enough the couple times my line snapped with a fish on years ago.

Good video...explains everything. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POdOBXOXQts