Bryer Lodge - French River

F_ast

Trying to book a little bit of a last minute trip to French River Wolseley bay area. I have stayed at the Wolseley lodge several times, but time to change it up this time.

Has anyone stayed at the Bryer Lodge? Any feedback on it would be great.

Thanks

Yes,

I looked for reviews and they also have a facebook page, but I was looking for some more input. But I just booked it.

I have stayed there in the past. Bryer Lodge is a great place. Very clean, the location is awesome and the cabins are very nice. I have stayed a variety of place on the French now and this is by and large my favorite.

Ab

Stayed at Totem Point one year but Bryer was one I had also considered. I enjoyed it and they're slowly renovating their cabins one by one but the boat rental rates were a bit on the high side I thought, compared to other places on Wolseley at least. Like many lodges, they had families that have been going up for several generations which I always find encouraging and a good sign.

I've stayed at Lochaven, which is upriver from Bryer Lodge. I've been there over a dozen times and cannot say enough about the lodge, owners and staff, and the clientele they attract. However, it is American Plan only, and I believe Bryer is housekeeping. So it depends on what you are looking for. I must say, every time I have driven by Bryer, I am impressed with how nice it looks. You can tell it is well maintained, even from a boat in mid river. If I was doing a housekeeping trip, I would go there.

Report back on Bryer, as well as your trip in general.

uote name='F_ast' date='11 August 2011 - 03:35 PM' timestamp='1313091338' post='611395']

Trying to book a little bit of a last minute trip to French River Wolseley bay area. I have stayed at the Wolseley lodge several times, but time to change it up this time.

Thanks

You never know. I've been there several times mid to late September. Last year was not so good, but I've had good success in the past. If you are looking for a truly big muskie, your on the right water.

I am thinking of heading out there in mid-late September, how is the fishing in the Upper French around that time?

Stayed at Bryer Lodge two years in a row, cabins are GREAT, Almost home like, in fact, one is the previous home of the owners, nice boats for rent, good dock. The years we stayed there , water was down, and the fishing was not that great. Could have been myself but no one in camp had much luck. Just down the bay from Totem Point and Wolseley Lodge, go up the bay and across the French Main and you're by Lochhaven Lodge. Never did find the rapids west of Lochhaven, fishing may have been better below them. Not much luck at the base of Five Finger rapids though.

Bill

Edited by fishingBill

You don't have to go far to find nice fish. I was at Wolseley last September for a week. A guy from Ohio landed 6 muskies, with the largest at 50", between Wolseley Lodge and Rainy island. Hit the weed beds and some of the sandy shorelines also contain some weeds coming out. I had one on, but lost her during the fight. I heard of a musky being caught in that same area, and measured at 49". I wonder if that's the one I had on ? Won't be making it there this year, but hope to be back next year.

Thanks

Stayed there last september, cottages were nice and clean.

Fishing was really tough. The water was WAYYYYY down and we never really did catch anything to speak of. Just a few little small mouth.

A really nice camp, but not a fish camp atmosphere and I didn't find the owners were really too concerned about your comfort. Several propane tanks were empty on 4 bbq's, and if you bring your own boat there you maybe hard pressed to find suitable dockage.

I ended up having some trouble with my trailer lights and I had to leave my boat there. I tried to wake the owners up but they are heavy sleepers I guess, left if there anyways, and before I got home from work the next day had several not so nice messages on my voice mail.

I would try Wolsey Bay Lodge or Lochaven next time.

Just my two cents...

I have stayed there in the past. Bryer Lodge is a great place. Very clean, the location is awesome and the cabins are very nice. I have stayed a variety of place on the French now and this is by and large my favorite.

Ab

Good to hear. I am booked for the First week in September.

i would highly recommend chaudiere lodge on the upper french.i just got back from4 days of fishing .( working on my report) i have to say that steve and his crew up there are fantastic . you wouldnt be dissapointed.

I have fished up there near Chaudiere... Is it accessible by truck, or do you have to boat to it? I found some great areas to fish Muskie up that way.... minus some of the netting that goes on.

Just got back from Bryer Lodge last week. Bill and Louise are great hosts...very accomodating. Cabins have been updated and modernized and very clean! It is a family oriented camp and is quiet as well, no late partiers when we were there. Enjoy and good luck !

Thanks

I am thinking of heading out there in mid-late September, how is the fishing in the Upper French around that time?

Mid-late September isn't bad at all. I find it is that transition time when the weeds still produce and the fishing is just starting to pick up. Pretty cool nights, and you will be there before turnover, which is good. I have been on the French the last 3 seasons when turnover is happening. This isn't usually until the send week in October.. but you see night dipping well below freezing then too.

Stayed at Bryer Lodge two years in a row, cabins are GREAT, Almost home like, in fact, one is the previous home of the owners, nice boats for rent, good dock. The years we stayed there , water was down, and the fishing was not that great. Could have been myself but no one in camp had much luck. Just down the bay from Totem Point and Wolseley Lodge, go up the bay and across the French Main and you're by Lochhaven Lodge. Never did find the rapids west of Lochhaven, fishing may have been better below them. Not much luck at the base of Five Finger rapids though.

Bill

I have stayed at Wolseley 6-7 times in the last 3 years. Place is getting a little dated IMO now... at least the cabins are. Nice new docking system though.

As for Lochhavens, the American plan is not for me and they seem really expensive... plus I like a place I can drive my truck too. As for the rapids there, they are about 200 yards South(?) of Lochhavens dock. You can hear the rumble from there. They are just on the other side of the shallow bay beside them and behind the boulder complex in front of them.

Five finger area has some nice structure, and we nailed a few muskie and a decent pike there, but nothing in the fast moving water. Everything we got was in the calm waters outside the mouth of the faster water.

You don't have to go far to find nice fish. I was at Wolseley last September for a week. A guy from Ohio landed 6 muskies, with the largest at 50", between Wolseley Lodge and Rainy island. Hit the weed beds and some of the sandy shorelines also contain some weeds coming out. I had one on, but lost her during the fight. I heard of a musky being caught in that same area, and measured at 49". I wonder if that's the one I had on ? Won't be making it there this year, but hope to be back next year.

We must have been at Wolseley at the same time... or at least close last year. I was there when that guy was there. But he was leaving the day after I got there. We did alright as well for the conditions, with 5 muskies, quite a few decent pike, and some 5-6lb smallies.

I will give me impressions of the place when I return. I will be there from Sept.6 - 9th.

As I stated, I usually fish this area between last September and early October... I find the muskies a little more predictable (rock shoals, and finger points). But I will let you know how it goes. I hate waiting for trips. I want to go now!!!

Anyone happen to know the water levels? They were brutal last year; down 5-7ft from seasonal average.

Good to hear. I am booked for the First week in September.

I have fished up there near Chaudiere... Is it accessible by truck, or do you have to boat to it? I found some great areas to fish Muskie up that way.... minus some of the netting that goes on.

Thanks

Mid-late September isn't bad at all. I find it is that transition time when the weeds still produce and the fishing is just starting to pick up. Pretty cool nights, and you will be there before turnover, which is good. I have been on the French the last 3 seasons when turnover is happening. This isn't usually until the send week in October.. but you see night dipping well below freezing then too.

I have stayed at Wolseley 6-7 times in the last 3 years. Place is getting a little dated IMO now... at least the cabins are. Nice new docking system though.

As for Lochhavens, the American plan is not for me and they seem really expensive... plus I like a place I can drive my truck too. As for the rapids there, they are about 200 yards South(?) of Lochhavens dock. You can hear the rumble from there. They are just on the other side of the shallow bay beside them and behind the boulder complex in front of them.

Five finger area has some nice structure, and we nailed a few muskie and a decent pike there, but nothing in the fast moving water. Everything we got was in the calm waters outside the mouth of the faster water.

We must have been at Wolseley at the same time... or at least close last year. I was there when that guy was there. But he was leaving the day after I got there. We did alright as well for the conditions, with 5 muskies, quite a few decent pike, and some 5-6lb smallies.

I will give me impressions of the place when I return. I will be there from Sept.6 - 9th.

As I stated, I usually fish this area between last September and early October... I find the muskies a little more predictable (rock shoals, and finger points). But I will let you know how it goes. I hate waiting for trips. I want to go now!!!

Anyone happen to know the water levels? They were brutal last year; down 5-7ft from seasonal average.

F_ast, just spoke with Herold at Wolseley lodge, water levels are still low. Trying to do a last min. trip myself possibly the same week you will be there, but staying at Wolseley again. Good luck, maybe we will cross paths up there. Bill

I believe that Bryer's was once Waverly Lodge. I stayed at Waverly back in the late 1980's (before kids). It was clean and well-kept back then. There was a small bay off the main bay across from the lodge that was pretty good for bass and pike.

We went back to the Wolsley Bay area a few springs ago - didn't have much luck other than hammerhandles and small bass. We stayed at Wolsley Lodge & took in the Friday night buffet (Harald insisted that we try it) - it was a real good feed especially since fish wasn't on the menu for that trip.

WR

F_ast, just spoke with Herold at Wolseley lodge, water levels are still low. Trying to do a last min. trip myself possibly the same week you will be there, but staying at Wolseley again. Good luck, maybe we will cross paths up there. Bill

Hmmm, first I have heard of the water being down. I know earlier in the season the waters were up with the heavy snowfall and rain through May. Hoping the water is not as low as last year.

I'll be in a Black Lund Outfitter 1750ss... or is all comes together in time, a 2011 Lund Predator 2010ss.