An Unfinished Goal - Help?

Rich

I've fished for 23 years for all sorts of different species. One thing I have never come across either by accident or on purpose is a lake trout. Since I've really narrowed down my list of species to catch in a lifetime the last couple of years, I'd really like to round it off and go catch a laker this year.

Problem is, I haven't got a clue what to do or where to go.

I've heard you need riggers or dipsys to get them. I'm not willing to go that route. I'd like to be able to jig, cast or flatline to catch one.

Is it possible, anywhere in southern Ontario to do that? Where to go, what to do? Any help in this quest would be much appreciated!

Inbetween Newtonville and Cobourg. In Oct. With a lure you would eat cereal with. Early early morning. Remember wind from the west fish bite best, or so it appiers.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Harrison

well rich depepnding on where you are located ??? go to the niagra river mout and you will catch them on the bar all day long,its easily accesible in a medium sized boat and no special tackle is required,or come to ontario,and fish some central ontario lakes and have a blast with them or wait till spring ice out here and just flatline for them,theres lots of choices you can make on this one....even upper new york state has lots of them...its closer for you to go there pm.me if ya want some more info...cheers

Rich,

Same way for me as well. Been fishing Wabakimi for several years and have never caught a laker. No one in my party has either for that matter. I understand lakers are in there from one post I've read on WC, and what I see on the fish finder and I believe some are in there . I also have been formulating a plan to catch one but it has to be a Wabakimi laker.

Also, there are no smallies on this lake. I do know of a couple of stergeon snagged and caught. Also on my bucket list.

Good luck on your laker quest.:good:

The lakers start staging in the Lower Niagara in Fall and can be caught along with the salmon in the river proper. On the US side, lakers can be caught at Artpark, Devil's Hole, NYS Power plant fishing platform and Whirlpool. You can also drift or troll the bar at the same type of year. If you have a smaller boat, go out on a calmer day. Trolling stickbaits or drifting with tubes or live bait will work.

Tom

I caught a huge one the first time I fished the Niagara Bar Rich, drifting with a pearl white tube!

Like Joey said, white tube tipped with a worm is the ticket for lakers, jigging B) This late in the season, lakers tend to go deep because of the water temp.... vertical presentation to me is appealing and truly enjoy doing that :)

Only way to find out is to give it a try.... Good luck with your goal :good: