Don't mess with caterpillars (NF)

Joey

Today did not go as planned. Up early to fish Lake Ontario, but the forecast and radar showed thunderstorms, so we didn't go. So I decided to do some gardening instead. Just as I start, I see this really cool caterpillar so grabbed the camera and snapped some photos.

6019358385_a7f7e619a9_b.jpg

I even looked it up online and found it to be a dagger moth caterpillar. Anyhow, off with my gardening and when finished, I sat down to read a book on my patio furniture. Awhile later, I feel something on my back and thought it was a spider or ant, so give it a good whack and it is the caterpillar (don't worry, it lived). I flick it off and immediately feel pain in my back and hand. I look in the mirror and my back is all red. I clean the area and change my top and still feel pain, kinda like cactus needles. I check my new shirt and there are little yellow hairs all over it where it was touching my skin.

I read up on it and find out that these bristles are toxic and can give you a nasty rash. I do what they say and put sticky tape on my skin and rip off, but now, several hours later, it is still red, sore and feels like there are little hairs brushing against my clothes. Apparently, I may get a nasty rash on my face and neck now :blink:

So, the moral of my story, don't mess with caterpillars :o

Edited by Joey