Baitcast 1/8oz jig?

okumasheffield

What is the lightest jig/bait you would use on a baitcaster? 1/8oz?

got my first baitcaster this past weekend and had lotsa fun with it.

bombing anything more than 1/4oz was easy for me and just when I thought I somehow masterted it

within 2 days, I figured that I got birdnests almost 99% of the time when using 1/8oz

Now that I have fallen in love with my baitcaster, I wonder if there

are applications spinnging reels are meant for?

Edited by Okuma-Sheffield

From the sound of your post I think you have figured out that bait-cast reels work best with lures from 3/8th's of an ounce and up.

With the right rod and reel, spinning gear can do a lot of things, but I only use it for senko type worms and lures under 1/4 ounce.

i can cast 1/8 oz jig heads with a twister tail no problem. Mind you the rod is a lighter action and i use a daiwa SOL/pixy or shimano core.

The distance isnt as good as with a 1/4 oz jig but i dont birdsnest. I dont even thumb my spool anymore. But as you use them you learn and get used to it. Unless you have the more expensive reels (or some of the japanese reels) casting a 1/8oz lure will be a difficult task, save it for a spinning setup

What is the model of baitcaster you are using? My Shimano conquest 50 can handle 1/8 no problem also my Scopion Xt1000. Some baitcasters simply cannot handle lighter weights. Also look at the rating in the rod make sure it can handle down to 1/8 oz, ML action with a x-tra fast taper

Edited by jchau53

I use my baitcaster for crank baits, spinner baits, and heavier lures and jigs.

My spinning rod and reel i keep rigged up for soft plastics, tubes etc. It is set up for texas rig fishing.I like the slow retieve of a spinning reel for this type of fishing.

Keep practicing and you will get the hang of it. Just remember if you want to cast 1/8 oz jigs it is alot easier if you use the proper gear. Try a 6.6 medium lite with a extra fast tip for a jigging rod and set your reel up. First your spool. Aim rod tip at 11 and release the spool. Adjust your spool tensioner so the jig drops slowly and stops when it hits the water. Then open your reel to where the brakes are and make sure all are engaged except maybe one.

Start casting short casts, sidearm if your just starting. Remember to keep your thumb lightly on the spool as you cast and to press down on the spool with your thumb when the jig hits the water, to stop the spool from spinning (birdsnest action here if you don't). As you get better you can adjust your spool tensioner back abit in very small increments till your cast distance increases and your reel feels comfortable for you. When you feel your ready, start turning the breaks off one by one and learn how your reel works.

Remember to adjust your spool tensioner when you change lure weight, the same way as mentioned earlier. Lite line is important, I wouldn't go any heavier than 8 lb mono. This should get you started and by this time next year you will be casting them lite jigs 200 ft no problem.

Casting into the wind. Just don't do it for now if you don't have too. Hope this helps.

Keep practicing and you will get the hang of it. Just remember if you want to cast 1/8 oz jigs it is alot easier if you use the proper gear. Try a 6.6 medium lite with a extra fast tip for a jigging rod and set your reel up. First your spool. Aim rod tip at 11 and release the spool. Adjust your spool tensioner so the jig drops slowly and stops when it hits the water. Then open your reel to where the brakes are and make sure all are engaged except maybe one.

Start casting short casts, sidearm if your just starting. Remember to keep your thumb lightly on the spool as you cast and to press down on the spool with your thumb when the jig hits the water, to stop the spool from spinning (birdsnest action here if you don't). As you get better you can adjust your spool tensioner back abit in very small increments till your cast distance increases and your reel feels comfortable for you. When you feel your ready, start turning the breaks off one by one and learn how your reel works.

Remember to adjust your spool tensioner when you change lure weight, the same way as mentioned earlier. Lite line is important, I wouldn't go any heavier than 8 lb mono. This should get you started and by this time next year you will be casting them lite jigs 200 ft no problem.

Casting into the wind. Just don't do it for now if you don't have too. Hope this helps.

What is the casting distance difference between proper tension vs free-spool?

Try to be realistic about your goals.

Rapala uses 70 feet as an average casting distance when they test what depth their lures reach on the retrieve.

If you live in most cities 200 feet is from the far corner of your lot to the far side of the lot 3 or 4 houses away!

Casts of that length are only made on the same lakes as where you find the broken down mini-vans full of Cheer Leaders.

Edited by garry2rs

As others have already pointed out, you are reaching the lower limits of what most commercial low profile baitcasters can cast consistently with distance and accuracy. When casting light lures (<1/4 oz), your rod and reel will limit your abilities. If the rod will not oad properly with the weight being casted, then you will lose distance. If the spool on the baitcaster is heavy, it will not startup as quickly. In oder to cast these light lures, you need both. While your reel may be capable to casting down to 1/8 + plastic, your rod may not be loading preoperly.