Proud Moment

My 19yr old son who was my enthusiastic fishing partner until he hit his mid teens (at which point friends and his life became more important) went fishing with me yesterday and got a decent 15 inch smallie on his first cast. River conditions made fishing tough but he ended up with 4 good smallies on the day. (Sorry no pics) So tonight I take him home to his mothers and he says " So you think there would be some smallmouth over by waterworks park? Do you think I can take some fishing equipment till I see you again so I can give it a try ?" Almost made me weep tears that did.

Edited by Musky or Specks

:thumbsup_anim: Sounds like you've got some great times ahead, make the most of them. And I know how that feels. When my ex and I separated she did everything she could to keep us apart, in fact I hadn't seen him since he was 13. But the day before his 19th birthday, knowing she couldn't control him anymore after that, he called up my parents and said he would like to come over and see them the next day, and could I be there too? We met up and we've been best friends ever since.

Thx for sharing that. My son now 22 never turned into a fisherman. But he was up at the cottage 2 weekends ago and asked if we could get out in the boat and spend some time together on the water. I don't think I ever got the boat and gear organized so fast in my life :thumbsup_anim: Spend 3 hours on the Sunday morning watching the world wake up while solving the world's problems and catching fish. He must have said 10 times that day after we came in how much he enjoyed it and that he hoped we would/ could do it more often. There is no drug in the world that could have made me feel better then I did that day. He just might turn into a fisherman after all :clapping:

Edited by crappieperchhunter

Thx for sharing that. My son now 22 never turned into a fisherman. But he was up at the cottage 2 weekends ago and asked if we could get out in the boat and spend some time together on the water. I don't think I ever got the boat and gear organized to fast in my life :thumbsup_anim: Spend 3 hours on the Sunday morning watching the world wake up while solving the world's problems and catching fish. He must have said 10 times that day after we came in how much he enjoyed it and that he hoped we would could do it more often. There is no drug in the world that could have made me feel better then I did that day. He just might turn into a fisherman after all :clapping:

Yup makes you feel like you did something right!! I hope we've both moved into a new era.

im 26 now... and me and my dad love spending time together going fishing and doing fish frys... i never really strayed from him in my teens... but now my other friends and family are starting to realize the bonding done on the water as well as the bank afterwords is priceless... and way more fun than drinking your face off friday night and feeling crappie the rest of the weekend... some longtime freinds i kinda lost touch with are now catching up to me and my appreciation for the outdoors and we are having more fun than ever...

My Dad was in the Military. A career soldier.When i was a kid, we would fish together and spend time together in the outdoors.At around 16, i drifted away from him and started drinking and all the other crap so many young people get into.Later on in life, when i put the bottle down, and saw how proud he was of me, we became inseperable friends.The only thing that could and would keep us apart was the brain cancer that took him away from me quickly, within 10 days, he was gone. Today i am sure he loved me, and he knew i loved him.thumbsup_anim.gif