trailer wiring question

Cosmos

If you had no power at all out of the vehicle, I'd say check a fuse, but since most of your lights are working, I think its a bad ground, or a bad connection on that circuit. Are you hooking the trailer to your vehicle when your testing the lights? Sometimes my running lights will do the same thing, then come on once I drive 50ft down the road. There is a bad ground in there somwhere that grounds out thru the hitch once I move a little. If I don't have the trailer hooked to the vehicle, the running lights won't work for me.

I ran a separate ground right from the plug to each rear light to cure this problem.

S.

I didn't try it with trailer hooked up to the car.

Will try to check it today.

Irishfield, I was using magnetic lights for testing, same thing - passenger side is ok, drivers isn't working.

These lights should work fine as they run off the vehicles system directly. Mine run fine even if they are setting on the grass.

I believe your problem is within your tow vehicle.

To confirm have another tow vehicle (same type of plug & confirmed working on another trailer) hook onto your trailer & check to see how your trailer lights work.

If your trailers light work fine stop wasting your time on your trailers system & concentrate on your vehicle.

Good Luck: Rick

I will try to hookup my friends trailer to see what happens. Got tested the car and mechanic said - it's ok. Try different magnetic lights and it was ok. Mechanic said - ground issue, will be working on it for next couple days.

Edited by Cosmos

Try different magnetic lights and it was ok. Mechanic said - ground issue, will be working on it for next couple days.

Say what... you have a broken wire or bad bulb in your magnetic lights then. Both of the running lights are powered off the same wire! IF the wires go to the passenger side light first.. and then over to the drivers side the wire is "open" between the lights or you have a bad bulb in the drivers side... or a bad ground on that drivers side light socket.

Edited by irishfield

Have you tried new bulbs? Sometimes even new bulbs don't work for me.

Just sayin....

S.

This will be my next step - replace all bulbs, after i will finish with ground issue.

I checked the bulb already an it's look good to me, i didn't switch it with working one yet. Don't forget that turn signal was flashing.

Turn signal flashing doesn't mean squat... the bulb has two filaments! I'm done here...

Maybe it does? could some one have put single filament bulbs in by mistake? that could explain why turn signals work and the lights don't, only 1 of the 2 contacts being made.

Craziest thing I ever saw was when a guy put a single filament in there and it bridged the 2 contacts in the receptacle, the running lights would be fine but when you put the turn signal on the whole trailer would flash :wallbash:

I'm glad we're not giving birth to an elephant here, this is too much.

To alleviate ground problems, I always run a dedicated wire(white) from the trailer plug all the way to the back to the light fixture studs and any other red or amber clearance marker lamps. Never mind the mickey mouse effort of attaching the wire to the trailer frame at the front. If they are new lights, it's very unlikely the assembler put the wrong bulbs in there.

All wire connections should be soldered and covered with self sealing shrink tubes, forget the open ended crimp connectors, copper corrodes in open air at a pretty fast rate. Never mind wrapping a mile of tape around connections it doesn't do jack shinola either.

Edited by Fisherman

I would like to thank everybody - you guys really helped. Today I finally solved the issue. Got the same set of light and put them on the trailer, they started working right away. I guess one of the lights had bad wiring.

Thanks again

Edited by Cosmos