Boat first aid kit

Last weekend I had a pretty good boatside battle with a 10 lb pike... And he won... I got cut and only had a dirty rag to apply pressure with...

So I made a kit... Bandages... Gauze... Medical tape... And polysporin...

And yesterday... A musky really got the best of me... Worst fishing injurie of my life... My day would have been over if I didn't have that kit...

My boat ... Motor... Lure... And cloths were covered in blood ... But I managed to clean the cut and keep fishing...

It only cost 20 bucks for everything in the kit... I really suggest that if you don't have a first aid kit... You should really get one...

First aid kits are great and a must in any boat but perseverance is the first priority when it comes to landing big fish,even little fish for that matter.

Make sure to keep the fish in the water at boat side until a net is available. Do not boat green fish especially muskie with baits still in their mouths. Always wait until a thrashing muskie is settled down before trying to take the hooks out of their mouths at boat side. Preferably just cut the hooks away with a good pair of side cutters instead or use a good long pair of needle nose or adjustable's to pull the hooks away keeping your hands clear..And never hold up a fish for a picture unless all hooks have been removed. Even smaller hooks can become deeply drivin into your flesh and very hard to remove without a lot of pain.

First aid kits are great and a must in any boat but perseverance is the first priority when it comes to landing big fish,even little fish for that matter.

Make sure to keep the fish in the water at boat side until a net is available. Do not boat green fish especially muskie with baits still in their mouths. Always wait until a thrashing muskie is settled down before trying to take the hooks out of their mouths at boat side. Preferably just cut the hooks away with a good pair of side cutters instead or use a good long pair of needle nose or adjustable's to pull the hooks away keeping your hands clear..And never hold up a fish for a picture unless all hooks have been removed. Even smaller hooks can become deeply drivin into your flesh and very hard to remove without a lot of pain.

i am well aware of safe handling practices... this musky had all three barbs of a treble in its mouth locking it shut... so in my large net still in the water... i was cutting the hooks wich i often do... and the musky , wich is faster than your and i, especialy hunched over the side of the boat with pliers and cutters, rolled over and one of the other hooks tore threw my thumb...

i am very experienced with musky fishing and this is the first time a musky has got the best of me... thats why i wanted to let everyone know... none of us are invincable and we should all be prepared for the worst... i do everything possible to protect the fish... as well as myself and have spared no expense on tools and safety equipment... so if it can happen to me... it can happen to you...

Forget worry about infections First Aid is about preserving life.

Yes helping prevent problems in the future or dealing with minor injuries is good but being prepared to deal with life threatening injures is the most important thing for a First Aid kit.

For most boating situations this will be proper training & quick access to advanced help (ie: ambulance/coast guard[cell phone, radio ect.]).

Most life threatening situations will be heat/cold injuries, heart/ stroke situations & severe bleeding.

BTW: I'm a First Aid & CPR instructor for St. John Ambulance.

i am well aware of safe handling practices... this musky had all three barbs of a treble in its mouth locking it shut... so in my large net still in the water... i was cutting the hooks wich i often do... and the musky , wich is faster than your and i, especialy hunched over the side of the boat with pliers and cutters, rolled over and one of the other hooks tore threw my thumb...

i am very experienced with musky fishing and this is the first time a musky has got the best of me... thats why i wanted to let everyone know... none of us are invincable and we should all be prepared for the worst... i do everything possible to protect the fish... as well as myself and have spared no expense on tools and safety equipment... so if it can happen to me... it can happen to you...

Mike,

My post wasn't directed to anyone in particular. People don't realize how quick these things can happen so when I put stuff like this out there its information for all those who visit OFC(mega hits daily) that may not have as much experience as our more regular every day fisherman here on the site.

Practicing prevention is half of the battle but sometimes like you said in your situation it couldn't be helped and a good safety kit saved your day.

Mike,

My post wasn't directed to anyone in particular. People don't realize how

quick these things can happen so when I put stuff like this out there its information for all those who visit OFC(mega hits daily) that may not have as much experience as our more regular every day fisherman here on the site.

Practicing prevention is half of the battle but sometimes like you said in

your situation it couldn't be helped

and a good safety kit saved your day.

That's ok... I Didn't realize it was a message to the public... Thought it was for me...lol

having seen what a hook in the finger can do (a few hours more and I could have lost mine) my advice is keep alcohol wipes, polysporin crazy glue, gauze and tape in your boat at all times. You can get kits almost anywhere for less than the cost of a days trolling. Truck stops for instance have them. I am never without mine after watching my finger swell to the point it cut off the circulation to the the top half of my finger - and that was from a litttle 1lb bass who decided to jump just as I was grabbing him with my 4" inch storm bodybait in his mouth. front treble up the the "u" all the way - by myself and 5 miles up a back bay in Temagami. owwww.

A boat first aid kit is a must. Tell new boat guests where you keep it just in case you are not conscious. I also keep a few baby Asprin with instructions to be taken or given should I have a stroke. Check with your doctor about its use before including.

Here is a simple way to to stop a more serious cut. Years ago, I was canoeing about 160 miles from anywhere. While building a fire, I accidentally cut myself with the axe on the knee. I finally got it stoped with pressure but it kept reopening when I moved. What I did was lay 2 long strips of 2" wide white medical tape on either side of the gaping cut fairly close to the opening. I then sewed the inside edge of the tape together to pull the wound closed. That way I wasn't sewing skin but the tape. Then I covered it with a typical dressing. The ER doctor was impressed when I finally got there several days later.

I also keep a few baby Asprin with instructions to be taken or given should I have a stroke. Check with your doctor about its use before including.

I have a problem with this statement.

It gives the impression that asprin is a standard first aid treatment for strokes. It is not.

Stokes can be caused by two factors. Blood clots or ruptured blood vessels. No way for the first aider to determine which is the cause.

If asprin is given to a stroke victim due to a ruptured blood vessel this can be fatal or at best the damages of the stroke will be worse.

Edited by Woodsman