Boat carpet question

Jigger

I think a few of you have re-carpeted your boat decks with indoor/outdoor carpet instead of marine carpet. How does it stand up? I wanted to get the marine grade carpet and give my 14fter a real factory look, but its just too expensive for this years boat budget. If I get the indoor/outdoor stuff and can get two seasons out of it, I'd just as soon do that and get the marine grade carpet after that.Also how easy is it to remove after you're done with it? The ind/outd carpet is $49.68 for a 12ft x 6ft section and the marine carpet is $171.28 for the same size piece. The in/out comes in green(nasty) and grey(it'll do). The marine carpet, however comes in many more colors the best of which is the burgundy(ideal for a Lund).

I already had to downgrade the latches, the matching ones were $40.00 each so I cut a corner there and I'm starting to think I should do the same with the carpet. Any feedback would help alot. Thanks.

Jigger,

I did this carpet project on my boat last year and used Home Depot outdoor carpet. There was plenty os choice in colors and design and price was good. The only thing I'd suggest is get one that has flat surface so it doesn't collect much dirt.

Other then that mine is like new a year later.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Was wondering the same thing but in regards to carpet for a bunk trailer...any suggestions there?

I got rid of the carpet on the bunks and got some "Glide Sliks", something like the sliders on snowmobiles, makes unloading/loading a whole lot easier, the stuff is like teflon, screws onto the top of the bunks, available at BPS.

Thanks guys.I was going to get the marine carpet with a buddy of mine today. He decides to go to Gagnons on the way...Long story short, the money in my pocket magically turned into a spool of Power Pro $27.99, a spinnerbait $10.99, a buzzbait $5.99 and a 7ft Shimano Compre spinning rod $119.00. SOOOOOOO...

I decided to go with the indoor/outdoor carpet after all. Came to $49. and change. So instead of getting the marine grade, which was over $170, I ended up spending $25 for this year. Provided it lasts two seasons. It seems durable enough.Thanks again.

I think if you factor in your time and effort there are some jobs worth doing right, once. Not sure about your situation though.

The following carpeting reference is just an analogy.. just coincidence that carpet came to mind:

You can replace a cheap light bulb four times or replace a good one once in two years... no big deal.

You can use a cheap underpad for three years under a nice carpet but eventualy it feels hard understep and you have to remove the carpet to replace it... a big deal.

I hope it wears well for you and it's an easy install... who knows, you might get five years out of it!

-Brian

... and just when I was gonna say... "Any job worth doing, is worth doing right"... but... nevermind.

GCD, wait until the job is done. I also agree with your statement, but just didn't have it in the budget this year to get the job done that I wanted. And in the end, its not bad carpet... The finished product should look pretty good. "You had enough money to buy a new rod!" Thats true, I needed a new spinning rod and line and thats why the fishing gods sent me there on the way to the carpet joint. Take it easy and thanks for the kind words.

I put a wooden floor in a boat about 25 years ago and went with the indoor-outdoor carpeting, and although it looked nice and wore fairly well, it was terrible for snagging hooks that were dropped on the floor of the boat.

It was just like getting a barb thru your jeans and having to either rip it out and tear the carpet fabric, or cut it free with a knife and again damage the fabric.

I've found that hooks don't get stuck in good marine grade carpets.

The outdoor carpeting is probably better today than back then, and the snagging may not be a problem anymore, but it's just something to think about in the meantime.