Clearwater Pier 60 fishing?

Burtess

Heading down to Florida and staying on the beach near Clearwater.... might bring my salmon casting gear and fish a bit off Pier 60.

Anyone fished there before?

Can someone recommend tackle that I would need?

Live bait that can be bought on the pier is out as I am allergic to shrimp etc.

Would large white tube jigs work?

Thanks,

Burt :)

Never fished that particular pier, but gulp shrimp or crabs can work. I'm sure tubes would probably work. There are baits called DOA shrimp which are popular down there. It all depends on what species happen to be around this time of year. Best bet is to find a local fishing shop and get some advice.

I'm sure your salmon tackle will work...

Pick-up some swivels, sinker sliders. diamond shaped sinkers in various weights (1oz, 2oz, 3oz) some saltwater hooks and jigs for your tubes...

Make 3 ft leaders with your line with the sliding sinkers above the swivel...sort of like fishing roe bags for salmon...

Can't remember what we caught off that pier (had to ask the people there) buty it was a fun time...

Remember to wash your rod, reel, line, and tackle in fresh water when finished...

Edited by Beans

Pier fishing can be very tough in the summer months. Your best bet is live bait, however, you will pay an arm and a leg for it at pier 60. You may be better off buying at a local bait shop, even the live bait shop at clearwater marina.

Gulp Shrimp, DOA shrimp, and even spoons may get you a fish or two.

I'm in the clearwater area almost every year, and I've never had much success from any pier. I've had better luck just fishing from the beach. My usual setup is a 10-11' salmon rod, a 3000-4000 series Shimano reel, 20-25 lb braid with at least 25-30 lb fluoro leader. My bait of choice is either live greenbacks or pinfish that I catch myself of off the beach using either a cast net or a sabiki rig.

When I'm casting lures, I use my usual bass or walleye rods and reels, and the same line setup as above. Some of the more popular lures are Mirrolures, DOA Shrimp, zara spooks.

if you want to escape the busy beach in Clearwater, there are several less populated beaches just a mile or two south that have public access.

There's a local site and forum that has a ton of local reports and info, and has helped me become a not bad saltwater fisherman.

http://capmel.com

Please feel free to contact me directly if you want to chat live. I can talk about FLA fishing for hours.

Cheers

Live bait all the way.

Enjoy the tiki bar, its really close to the pier.

I was there last year, fished the skyway area, Tampa bridge, and St. Petersberg pier. Not sure what is in season right now, but grouper near St. Petes pier were fun. Talk with locals, don't touch stingrays tails and take pictures.

If I was in Clearwater, I'd be fishing HoneyMoon Island State Park every single day. Some Doc's Goofy jigs and half a shrimp are all you need. No need for the salmon stick either. A M or ML 6'6 spinning rod, 10-15lb braid and 20lb flouro leader will work fine. I've caught everything from sharks to pomps, to ladyfish, to reds with it. Sure you'll get spooled if you get into a big king mackerel, but you would anyhow with your salmon rig, lol.

Seriously, check out the park so much better then fishing any pier.

yellowwhite14.jpg

Edited by BillM

An inexpensive 1/2 day trip can be taken from Queen Fleet Deep Sea. They have a couple big party boat catamarans and go out a few miles to fish the artificial reefs for snapper and grunts but every time I went out we also did well for grouper. They have everything there at the dock. Also alot of charter boats there to check out inshore/inland-deep sea. I always buy my own bait and pick up some mid sized dead sardines. The party boats usually provide cut up squid as much as you want

$8 will get you out on the pier but I'd rather spend $50 and take a boat ride. You'll be sure to catch a fair bit of grunts out on the boat and they are great eating.

Did well fishing the rocks and tide flows at Johns Pass at St Petes. Sea trout and lots of sheepshead.

Squid chunks work almost anywhere down there

Thanks for all the replys gents.... live bait is out, not going to chance a reaction down there, I touch the stuff and I break out all over (remember that Martin Short movie??), gloves are not enough insurance lol....

I will stick with jigs and plastics and will have to be careful I don't touch any bait residue out on the pier.

Thanks for all the replys gents.... live bait is out, not going to chance a reaction down there, I touch the stuff and I break out all over (remember that Martin Short movie??), gloves are not enough insurance lol....

I will stick with jigs and plastics and will have to be careful I don't touch any bait residue out on the pier.

If live bait is out, use the bass or walleye setup I mentioned, a couple of DOA shrimps, walk down any beach, and chuck them into the swash. You may get yourself a snook or two.

My link