First time targeting carp

bobowski

I had the day off today so I decided to head down to a local creek where I spotted a lot of Carp a few weeks back when I was looking for a spot to fish Bass. I have only caught one Carp in my life before today. I caught it by accident while targeting Pike on Georgian Bay using sucker minnows. To tell you the truth I have never been interested in going after Carp before. I thought that it would be slow and boring. After today I can tell you that is not the case at all. I picked up a can of corn and I was on my way. I started by chumming the water with a few fist full's of corn. The only rod that I have at my house right now is a light-medium action rod loaded with 6 pound line so I knew it was going to be interesting but figured that if my drag was set right I good get the fish in because of where I was fishing. There was no way the fish could go up or down the creek because of the shallow water on either sides of the big pool I was fishing. As soon as I cast out my corn covered hook I was getting lots of quick small bites but I was unable to set the hook so I switched up to a smaller hook. That seemed to be the answer. I hooked into my first fish and the fight was on. It wasn't huge but it put up a good fight pulling drag. When it came time to landing the fish I knew that it was going to be a problem. I didn't have a net and there was no good spot to pull him out. I got him to the bank and thought that he was done but a quick head shake snapped the light in an instant. Off he went. Oh well. I told myself that next time I would make sure the fish was absolutely out of energy when I attempt to land him. I continued to fish and hooked into another fish about 30 minutes later. This fish was bigger and I took my time and was eventually able to land it.

My first non accidental Carp!

Picture007.jpg

As the afternoon went on I caught 3 more Carp. None of them had much size. This one is pretty much a replica of the other two.

Picture008.jpg

I ended up having a great day and enjoyed catching a new species. I will definitely be doing it again. I would like to try using a hair rig.

Edited by bobowski

Great report !!!...Congrats on catching your first carp on purpose...

A hair rig should up your hooking percentage...a straightened out jig makes a decent baiting needle...just make sure your bait (corn, boilie,) hangs just below your hook...too long a "hair" will make for missed fish...

Great report !!!...Congrats on catching your first carp on purpose...

A hair rig should up your hooking percentage...a straightened out jig makes a decent baiting needle...just make sure your bait (corn, boilie,) hangs just below your hook...too long a "hair" will make for missed fish...

Thanks for the advice. What's size hook should I be using?

Thanks for the advice. What's size hook should I be using?

Right now I'm using the no. 4 wide gap carp hooks I received for free with my rod order from New World Carp last year...

I usually use a no. 6...some use even smaller...