Exhaust Manifold Welding

edmichit

Dang, small crack on the manifold, just after the individual pipes come together. Looks to me like it could be welded on the truck. (enough room and in sight) Pretty sure it's a cast part. 2004 Bravada (Vortec 4200 engine)

Any one out there make a recommendation on a good welder/weld shop? Midas already told me if they would try, but if they break a bolt......you know the story...

thanks

manifold2.jpg

manifold.jpg

They make cast welding rods for a reason.Mig weld would be a patch job,but will slip off the cast. Brazing is a bandaid,that will last maybe a few days. Need to grind out a V groove and fill with a cast rod. I could do it,but dont have the means too. I,ll get back to you Tree30eight ASAP.

Manifolds on todays vehicles are little thicker than a piece of paper.

Add a few years of use and there often isn't enough left to weld to.

And even if you did manage to get it welded, chances are it won't last long.

I'd recommend you bite the bullet and replace it.

Check with a company called Dorman and see if they make it. Most auto supply stores can get Dorman product. Good stuff and very reasonable cost.

The labour may be another issue. Get an experienced guy to do it as they know how to get out the tough/siezed hardware.

Good old arc welder and a cast rod as Brian states. Even a normal steel rod with the polarity set backwards will do in a bind. Just be prepared for the consequences if it blows thru.. or slag/splatter goes inside the system and in the case of me welding my dozer exhaust that = enough crap to hold a valve open and have the push rod jump the rockers socket. Got lucky it didn't get hit by the piston.

As Bernie points out... if it's cracked chances are there isn't much left to weld due to internal erosion and external rust. On my 6 month old F150 I already brushed the first layer of baked off casting from the manifolds! :wallbash:

Edited by irishfield