Tackle prices - USA

I ended up in Niagara Falls NY on the weekend and had time to wander around the fishing sections of a few stores(translate; wife was shoppingwallbash.gif ).

Now let me say I am a great believer in supporting your local economy and will continue to, however, it actually ticked me off to see essential items like line(brand name braided and flouro), terminal tackle, plastics at 50-70% less than the exact product here. How can Yum plastics be on sale for $1.96/bag?? PowerPro $12 and change? dunno.gif And, yes I bought 4 bags of the plastics...and actually feel guilty for some damn reason. What's the general concensus on this???

Dave

Well... Here is a story...

I bought a flasher at gander mnt in the USA... I got it retail for what my friend ( a store owner) would have paid wholesale... So after his mark up... He would have profited let's say 100 bucks... Or I buy in the USA and I save 100 bucks... Either way a Canadian has an extra 100 bucks... And I pay both governments their taxes...

So stop me if im incorrect... But what's wrong with that????

Edited by Musky Mike

Wholesale price on a Rapala is $2+ more in Canada then the US. Look at the price label on the back of books, if there was room to put it on lures there would be the same price gap.

I wonder if the big box stores like Walmart have to buy from Canadian Distributors. I have no idea, but one would assume so.

Edited by Harrison

I just picked up TWO Curado 200E7 reels @ gander mountain for $129 !!!!!!!!!! show me some where that can touch that price in canada and Ill go pick up another two tomorrow ! Oh ya, and they had Rapala DT series...3 for $10 !

Never see that here for the Curado. Never. And the DT's, they were probaly the lost leader and they still got their wholesale out of it.

Nothing personal, but I do get annoyed when people compare the US market to the Canadian. There is no way a Canadian tackle vendor can compete against the US pricing.

I've been researching this industry for over 10 years just waiting to pull the trigger and open my own shop.

Edited by Harrison

It's obvious that Canadian retailers cannot compete with US retailers...the question is why. Assume that everything is made in China therefore no manufacturing advantage either way...shipping to Canada and US from China - same. Our currencies are at par...Hmmm. What's different? Market share?? Yes, if we say that the US has 300 million people vs Canada's 40 million, BUT, if nothing or very little is manufactured here then it's simply a North American market of 340 million! I think the companies have us well trained.

The company I work for reduced the labour workforce here in Hamilton by 80% and shifted the manufacturing to eastern Europe. Costs to manufacture were reduced by more than 50%...the amount we decreased our prices? Zero. Charge what the market will bear.

I cannot believe that Walmart USA buys Berkley products cheaper than Walmart Canada. Why would Walmart surrender their buying power in Canada? I'm speculating of course. blahblah1.gif I gave myself a Blah, Blah for rambling! smile.gif

Dave

It's obvious that Canadian retailers cannot compete with US retailers...the question is why. Assume that everything is made in China therefore no manufacturing advantage either way...shipping to Canada and US from China - same. Our currencies are at par...Hmmm. What's different? Market share?? Yes, if we say that the US has 300 million people vs Canada's 40 million, BUT, if nothing or very little is manufactured here then it's simply a North American market of 340 million! I think the companies have us well trained.

The company I work for reduced the labour workforce here in Hamilton by 80% and shifted the manufacturing to eastern Europe. Costs to manufacture were reduced by more than 50%...the amount we decreased our prices? Zero. Charge what the market will bear.

I cannot believe that Walmart USA buys Berkley products cheaper than Walmart Canada. Why would Walmart surrender their buying power in Canada? I'm speculating of course. blahblah1.gif I gave myself a Blah, Blah for rambling! smile.gif

Dave

I couldn't agree more. "Charge waht the market can bear" has been the norm here in Canada for a long time.

I am on a fixed income so my buying power is limited. I buy a lot of my stuff directly from China (Hong Kong usually)now and I pay as little as 90% less than the same product (also made in China) here. Shipping is usually free and no taxes and tariffis. Fishing tackle is not as abundantly available as in Canada but a little searching will result in savings. I just cannot afford to pay the high prices here in Canada. I have always been frugal and I bought bulk when the prices were low. I found a bag of 100 black head jigs with the old price tag still on it. 7.99. that was 10 years ago at Lebarons. My local tackle store sells jigs at a starting price of 2.99 per 3. Sorry I can't afford that. Another store sells jigs at 3.99 per 10. A little more affordable.

Times are tough, and all indications are that they will get tougher. I want the best bang for the buck. I don't think that the fish know what the lure cost when it hits my bait. I cannot justify paying $10+ per bait and loosing a couple of baits per week.

muddler

Just brutal.

In various articles I have read they all seem to echo that Canada's large middle class and the lack of serious competition keep prices high.

Edited by Harrison

Don't forget the currency exchange. Even though our dollar has gotten stronger, most stores aren't going to change prices to reflect that. Actually, many raised prices as a result.

You also mentioned they were on sale. I purchased bags of Yum for $2 (BPS sale last year I think) and PowerPro for $12 (Le Baron a couple of months ago) on sale here too.

Also, it is a different country with a different tax system and a much larger population. Why do people always assume the cost of goods should be the same in the US and Canada? Heck, the tackle prices at some stores, like Canadian Tire, are 20-50% more than a lot of places within the same city!

Also, it is a different country with a different tax system and a much larger population.

The cost to import these products is a large part of the increase. We have to pay for our gubberment programs some how.

PS.. FishLogic, huge chicken fan.

Edited by Harrison

The cost to import these products is a large part of the increase. We have to pay for our gubberment programs some how.

PS.. FishLogic, huge chicken fan.

That's a good point. It is possible that government duties drive up costs to the suppliers who in turn have no choice but to pass it along. Makes sense.

We all get that it's a different country and I don't think anyone should expect the prices to be the same. It just appears the gap may be larger than it should be...maybe not.

BTW, regular price on Yum was $3 and no the PowerPro was not on sale. These two items mean nothing in the scheme of things, they were just two examples I happened to look at that day. I guess the same could be said for gas and beer! wallbash.gif

higher minimum wage

health care available to everyone

higher employer costs

small population (relative)

huge geographical area

Doesn't mean I like paying more, or that we are not getting hosed on some prices, but there are some legitimate reasons for a price difference.

higher minimum wage

higher employer costs

huge geographical area

Doesn't mean I like paying more, or that we are not getting hosed on

some prices, but there are some legitimate reasons for a price difference.

This post doesn't really make sence... Cause if you buy in the USA ... You still pay Canadian tax and sometimes have to pay duty... Wich pays for your healthcare ... Schools... Etc...

And even after tax and duty and gas to go to the USA... You still save $$$$

Like I posted earlier... Wholesalers have a price list for American shops... And a different price list for Canadian shops wich is a certain % higher...

Probably the best comparison would be the price of gasoline...The USA imports most of it's oil from Canada and right now our gas prices in NYS (one of the nations highest) is $3.85 per gallon.....at the Res...it's now $3.48 to $3.51 per gallon...what's the price in Ontario ? :dunno:

higher minimum wage

higher employer costs

huge geographical area

Doesn't mean I like paying more, or that we are not getting hosed on some prices, but there are some legitimate reasons for a price difference.

This post doesn't really make sence... Cause if you buy in the USA ... You still pay Canadian tax and sometimes have to pay duty... Wich pays for your healthcare ... Schools... Etc...

And even after tax and duty and gas to go to the USA... You still save $$$$

Like I posted earlier... Wholesalers have a price list for American shops... And a different price list for Canadian shops wich is a certain % higher...

Then I am no use to you. Carry on.

1.22 a liter x 3.8 = 4.63 per gallon

I think that's the multiplier... 3.8

That sounds right....so gas is about 80 cents per gallon more....another good comparison would be BEER....just got back from the store and it cost me $16.99 (plus 8.75% tax) for a 32 pack of Labatts.....

That sounds right....so gas is about 80 cents per gallon more....another good comparison would be BEER....just got back from the store and it cost me $16.99 (plus 8.75% tax) for a 32 pack of Labatts.....

While you're agitating, price out heart surgery and cancer treatment while you are at it. Shop around can you can get good deals for those.