Kicker motor - hard time idling

icefisherman

Well, while fishing today I’ve noticed my 2000 Yamaha 9.9 4 stroke High thrust kicker has hard time staying on while idling.have a good boat motor mechanic next door but he is too busy to even talk to me tried sending me around to his buddies but that will not work for me as they’ll want me to leave the boat there for who knows how long.and I need to use the boat weekly.so is there anyone who can advise/help on how to solve this problem or a reputable mechanic where I can take it to for in and out service? I am west of the GTA

May even be as simple as a screw that needs turning a bit to adjust the idling speed. Not an expert but motor is not that bad, trolled all day with it just that when I press the idle button on the Trollmaster so I can fight the bigger fish it sometimes dies .no problem restarting it again but it seems it wants to run with a bit more gas/higher RPM.never before I had this problem.

Anyhow hope I can do quick fix here with your expert advice.\

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman’

Edited by icefisherman

When was the last time you opened up that kicker (3/4 or more throttle) and let it push the boat around for a bit. The plugs might be starting to foul due to running at a consistent rpm all the time?

Also before you start tinkering around with idle or mixture screws; maybe throw some fuel conditioner/cleaner (seafoam?) in the fuel tank and give the kick a bit of a run and let it breath.

I know my old 3 horse Johnson 2 stroke needs to be run up to full throttle after a couple of hours of trolling before shutting her off. If I don’t it’ll be the fussiest thing ever to get started or idle down on the next start.

Dan.

Well Dan,

once in a blue moon I do push the full throttle button on the Trollmaster for a second or two to create a lure chase in the fish down there....but have run the boat on the kicker only once 3-4 years ago on Simcoe when I forgot the key for the main motor at home and had to use the kicker from Sibbalds PP to Jacksons point ;-)

Good points....will dump a can of seafoam and change the spark plugs as I already have new once ready to be installed....

the fuel tank is huge though (80 L or so) so it may take a while for the seafome to get to the kicker....

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Probably all it needs like Dan suggests Emil ! A GOOD run.

I remember Leah working at a garage in Gasoline Alley (Oro), when she was 16/17, and worked for an old Italian guy name Manzoni. This elderly lady would bring her Chrysler Newport in for service and a tune up on the 440 cu in... and he'd drop her off at home then run the sucker to the floor boards back to the shop to write the bill up and then go back to get her at the same throttle and pick her back up. He'd let her drive him back to the garage and it ran like a charm for another 6 months of carbon build up!!

BTW I should mention both motors are fed via fuel filter/water separator ....the main one runs fine at idle and otherwise...

May have to use the kicker on lake O.to take me from the launch to fishing grounds next time I get to the lake....it should give it couple kms of hight RPM run to clear itself up....

Hope this does it as the alternatives would probably be costly and time consuming ....

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Taking the carb off and cleaning it is no magic, most of the Japanese engines run either Mikuni or Kehin(sp) carbs. Most likely there are 2 screws on the carb, one sets the idle speed, the other sets the idle fuel flow. The one that sets the idle speed with usually be located on top with a semi circular plate attached and the screw is just a stop point. The other is usually located on the side, open it(counterclockwise) about 1/8th of a turn. You will probably notice an immediate difference. I'm betting it's gummed up from leaving old gas in there, stabilizer or not.

Probably all it needs like Dan suggests Emil ! A GOOD run.

I remember Leah working at a garage in Gasoline Alley (Oro), when she was 16/17, and worked for an old Italian guy name Manzoni. This elderly lady would bring her Chrysler Newport in for service and a tune up on the 440 cu in... and he'd drop her off at home then run the sucker to the floor boards back to the shop to write the bill up and then go back to get her at the same throttle and pick her back up. He'd let her drive him back to the garage and it ran like a charm for another 6 months of carbon build up!!

I knew old man Manzoni, They owned a station at College and Grace in the 70s they used to fix my Firebird. I forget his sons names but many years back we were ice fishing and got talking to some guys that dropped in the hut for a visit and it was his son. they olso had a place near Gravenhurst If I remember correctly.

What great visit that was. Are they still there?

NO idea Albert... hate to say how old Leah is.. but that was 30 years ago!

She better not read this because you gave her age (close) away in two posts. ;)

They were great guys, they loved taking cars they "fixed" to Cayuga on Sundays.

Replace the spark plugs before you get in to more complicated stuff like tinkering with the carbs etc, You already have a fuel filter so I don't think there is any other issues.

I had the same problem with my 9.9 Yammy, the plugs were 3 years old and I only used it for trolling.

Now I replace them every year since they only cost $6.00(set of 2) at C.T

Well,

changed the spark plugs earlier today and tried it on the driveway with the hose connected....it run surprisingly smooth at idle....hope it stays that way next time I try it on the water. Will still dump a can of seafoam in the tank and run it WOT on next trip.

Thanks everybody for the advice.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

When was the last time you opened up that kicker (3/4 or more throttle) and let it push the boat around for a bit. The plugs might be starting to foul due to running at a consistent rpm all the time?

I bet the last time he ran wide open was the last time he forgot his boat keys at home!

Great advice as always, Dan.

Well, changed the spark plugs earlier today and tried it on the driveway with the hose connected....it run surprisingly smooth at idle....

I'm betting the problem is solved but maybe I should double check it for you... ;)

Well you are right....you should...and it is about time, one could say :Gonefishing:

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

You know I am very busy these days but I can pencil you in say tomorrow between 6am and Noon for a thorough inspection.

You know I am very busy these days but I can pencil you in say tomorrow between 6am and Noon for a thorough inspection.

Well, how did you know?

That I am doing inspection at that exact time frame tomorrow morning?

A bit windy but test will run better that way....and the weatherman will probably be wrong again.

Should have used that email of mine yesterday so I can include you in the inspection commission :wallbash:

Cheers,

Icer Fisherman

After every good trolling session I clear the kicker's throat and let her push the boat around at 5 mph for about 200 feet. I think, but am not sure that it us better to let the engine clear her throat under load. I have always cranked the power to her in gear as opposed to just revving her up.