The Red Reel

mercman

Helping my brother move a week ago, we started moving some of Dads rods and reels that were willed to him when dad passed.He told me to pick any one that i wanted. I chose an Abu Amdassadeur 5000 s/n 720765 on a 7ft Compre heavy fast action rod.Apparently it was a gift to him from his co workers when he retired from the army. I know little about the reel itself, and would appreciate any info you can provide. It is in absolute mint condition, and i would like to fish with it.

Thanks

Paul

Go fishing with it .

But I would put it to the test first.

Put out a big lure(muskie bucktail) set the drag lite then start pulling on it as if you were setting a hook(watching to see if the drag is letting go smoothly) if so tighten the drag untill it doesnt let go.

Then hit some weeds and put the drag to work!

If all is good start looking for the big girls and have a blast.

Or take it to a good reel repair guy(your local tackle shop could probably help you out )

Or meet up with me mid September.

Go fishing with it .

But I would put it to the test first.

Put out a big lure(muskie bucktail) set the drag lite then start pulling on it as if you were setting a hook(watching to see if the drag is letting go smoothly) if so tighten the drag untill it doesnt let go.

Then hit some weeds and put the drag to work!

If all is good start looking for the big girls and have a blast.

Or take it to a good reel repair guy(your local tackle shop could probably help you out )

Or meet up with me mid September.

Thanks Don. Whats going on on Mid September?

I would have to see a picture, the early Abu`s had 4 screws holding the side plates on and grooved rims on the body, then the went to a 3 screw side plate but kept the grooved rims, The next step was more or less flat rims, usually referred to as beveled, a slight angle on them.

I believe the 72 in the serial number indicates the year of manufacture.

A c model such as 5000c indicates a ball bearing model, standards models had bronze bushings.

A 1 in the model number such as 5001c, 6001c indicates ball bearing, left hand retrieve, and they were black in color.

In the 50`s, 60`s, 70`s they were about the best reels on the market, referred to as the " Cadillac " of casting reels, early models were call Abu Record. A good looking durable reel, I wouldn`t be afraid to use an old one today.

Some collector value to them, but to a collector condition is everything and the plain 5000`s were the most common.

Thanks guys.It is a 3 screw model, with groved side cocers.I am definately going to use it.I must admit the sleek look of the newer baitcasters is appealing, but that red, round "MACNINE" sitting on top of that Compre is nostaligic for sureclapping.gif

Paul, I bought two in '66. They were the best reels available to me at the time. They came in a leather case with screwdriver, oil and such. I gave one to a Native dude who helped me out of a bind on Kabinakagami in '67. My youngest son Jeff has the other one which he keeps along with other precious (to him) collectibles. Yes, it's a fine reel.

ps. I bought those reels from a dear freind who at the time owned Pat's Camera and Sports at Broadview and Danforth in Toronto. The very same day I bought the largest tackle box I could find from him. It was a 3 tray Umco aluminum box which I still have.

Paul, I bought two in '66. They were the best reels available to me at the time. They came in a leather case with screwdriver, oil and such. I gave one to a Native dude who helped me out of a bind on Kabinakagami in '67. My youngest son Jeff has the other one which he keeps along with other precious (to him) collectibles. Yes, it's a fine reel.

ps. I bought those reels from a dear freind who at the time owned Pat's Camera and Sports at Broadview and Danforth in Toronto. The very same day I bought the largest tackle box I could find from him. It was a 3 tray Umco aluminum box which I still have.

I still have the 3 tray Umco aluminum somewhere Roy. Tough to be quiet in the old tinny with one of those babies rattling on the hull.

Roy, I was like 12 or 13 when I bought my first Abu reel, a 1750, after using Langley`s and such since I was 5 the idea of a free spool reel was cool, too bad it didn`t have a drag other than a thumb drag! Next came a couple 5000`s and the first 5001c I saw was mine! It had the old school handle, a couple - few years later I bought one that had the factory power handle, been using mostly lefty`s ever since.

Also had an Umco Tackle box, it would have been nice to see worm proof trays on them? I think every one I have seen has melted trays.

First Shimano reels came around 78-79? Went with my brother to a tackle shop in North Canton, he had a couple Black Magnum 251`s. I was leery about buying a Japanese product, but they seem very well made, still have them, and they were used hard.

At times it seems like I have been " collecting " tackle since the first time I entered a tackle store.

Roy, I was like 12 or 13 when I bought my first Abu reel, a 1750, after using Langley`s and such since I was 5 the idea of a free spool reel was cool, too bad it didn`t have a drag other than a thumb drag! Next came a couple 5000`s and the first 5001c I saw was mine! It had the old school handle, a couple - few years later I bought one that had the factory power handle, been using mostly lefty`s ever since.

Also had an Umco Tackle box, it would have been nice to see worm proof trays on them? I think every one I have seen has melted trays.

First Shimano reels came around 78-79? Went with my brother to a tackle shop in North Canton, he had a couple Black Magnum 251`s. I was leery about buying a Japanese product, but they seem very well made, still have them, and they were used hard.

At times it seems like I have been " collecting " tackle since the first time I entered a tackle store.

This ain't no sissy-boy casting reel! I own 4 Abu Reels, they don't need to be polished after every use. It will handle whatever you throw at it- and love it! I don't even know why they make any other bait casters. You're going to love that reel. Trust me!

What's wrong with those old Abu's?

First of all they were designed for dog-leg rod handles, so they sit too high on the reel seat of a modern rod.

Second the centrifugal drag is prehistoric...2 pins!

Third, if you don't oil the worm gear on the level wind after every trip you will wear out the pawl in no time flat...

Still I have, and use, couple. Despite their short comings they are great basic reels...But they are not to be confused with modern efforts like Revo's or Chronarch's

Edited by garry2rs

What's wrong with those old Abu's?

First of all they were designed for dog-leg rod handles, so they sit too high on the reel seat of a modern rod.

Second the centrifugal drag is prehistoric...2 pins!

Third, if you don't oil the worm gear on the level wind after every trip you will wear out the pawl in no time flat...

Still I have, and use, couple. Despite their short comings they are great basic reels...But they are not to be confused with modern efforts like Revo's or Chronarch's

Now THATS some good info.I was looking at the reel, on the newer Compre rod my dad had it on, and it really doesnt look comfortable to fish with.I dont think dad ever used it for Muskie, He was more of a bass and walleye guy, and the rod looks brand new, the cork is not even darkened, so i really dont think he ever used it.

I have one of his dog leg rods, so i will take it off the Compre and put it on that rod.

Thanks Garryclapping.gif