Gettting frustrated

bucktail

I am on a very bad streak of missing fish on the hookset.

Goes all the way to last year when i lost every bigfish that hit.

I mostly use a loomis crankbait casting rod, I switched to it because I was losing fish on the hooksets then and having a slower action rod would help me not pull the lure away.

i am using 40lb power pro on a curado most of the time. Should I ditch the power pro and go with flouro or straight mono, or is this just a bad luck stretch????

Wondering if anyone else has run into this??

GRRRRRRRR

D

well, I use a fiberglass casting rod so I don't pull the lure away when using crankbaits in open water..and it really helped me with hookups

when I started using superlines my missed fish numbers started to climb again

now with the slow action rod and superline I make sure I only sweep the rod instead of the big hookset and I am not losing fish

I make sure I only sweep the rod instead of the big hookset and I am not losing fish

The above statement and what Lew said about the sharp hooks are probably the reason Bucktail.

I used to over set when I started using braided lines 13 yrs ago. Now I sweep set "twice", every fish. Second sweep is not as hard, but I still do it. I was ripping my hair out back then on Simcoe watching giant smallies to come out of 20 feet of water and destroy my jerkbait only to lose them on the hookset.

I figured out why and now I've dailed it in. Good Luck.

Just a string of bad luck. However, site fishing and setting the hook when you see the fish hit is tough to hold back on. You have to wait until you feel the pull just as you would if you didn't see the fish. They should almost set the hook themselves if they're that close. Many large fish are missed on top water lures when the angler sets the hook to the sight of the fish breaking the surface rather than feeling it.

I did the same when I changed to PP. If you set the hook like you did with mono then you rip the lures right out of their mouths or almost and all they need is to spit it. Like others have said nice sweeps instead of over the head quick snaps. PP has no stretch.

No clue, the only time I usually lost fish was when a pike or ski ate my bass lure, no steel leader, too light of line for a big fish around cover.

Could it be they are short striking it? For the most part I stuck them no matter what line or rod I was using.

Guest gbfisher

No clue, the only time I usually lost fish was when a pike or ski ate my bass lure, no steel leader, too light of line for a big fish around cover.

Could it be they are short striking it? For the most part I stuck them no matter what line or rod I was using.

what kind of fish were you missng the hook set on? If they are Pike then I would say you were not setting hard enough and the fish were just holding your bait till you tried to set it and just let go of your hook when you went to set it. They can fight right to the boat and make you think they have it in their lip but when you see them open their mouth and the hook flies out...that'd be your first clue. Could be just shitluck!.. :tease:

Edited by gbfisher

what kind of fish were you missng the hook set on? If they are Pike then I would say you were not setting hard enough and the fish were just holding your bait till you tried to set it and just let go of your hook when you went to set it. They can fight right to the boat and make you think they have it in their lip but when you see them open their mouth and the hook flies out...that'd be your first clue. Could be just shitluck!.. :tease:

I haven't seen any of that this year, myself.. personally... :wallbash: