GPS choices???

brkygetr

hey folks could use some advice here...

I am heading to Great Slave for a summer position and need to get myself a new GPS that I can use a GOOD navigation tool. I am going to be on the water each and every day and need to make sure that my electronics will keep me safe and get me back to shore. What I am specifically looking for is a GPS that either comes with or I can download to, a decent basemap of Great Slave.

I have read through the Lebaron's catalogue, and done some research but without first hand knowledge I just can not decide. I am willing to spend between 300-500.

If anyone out there has some good advice and recomendations of a model that would be appropriate please let me know.

Thanks to all...

Brkygetr

Get a Garmin with the Mapsource topo map of Canada. You can check out the map here. Look for the link on the upper right that says 'MapSource Viewer'.

I checked and there is indeed good resolution there, even showing a streetmap of Yellowknife.

Any mapping GPS will do, but why not get the GPSMap 76CSX? Expandable memory, colour screen, floats, and waterproof.

GPSCity.ca

Between the fishing show and the RV show where I talked to the reps from both garmin and lowrance everyone had to agree that garmin had better map coverage of Canada ESPECIALLY in the north.Lowrance is catching up but garmin is better as of now.

vance

I've been looking at a new GPS as well. I think I've decided that Garmin will be the brand. I've been looking on EBay and haven't found much of a deal there yet. Besides, if I buy locally I can just return it to where I bought it. Here's the one that I'm most interested in. Does anyone own one of these that could offer some comments, good or bad??

I just purchased a Garmin GPSMap 76 csx. I researched portables for a while before i made the purchase. Best marine portable on the market. You can get the unit for around 350 us dollar on eBay. Then i would purchase the blue chart for your area. The blue chart will have a lot of information including contour lines for lakes. This GPS is water proof and it floats. Runs approx 18 hours on batteries.

I got the garmin 60CSX and love it. It does everything and then some. Got expandable memory (got 1 gig card in mine and have all Metro Canada and whole lot of Topo Canada), built in compass, updatable support and a whole lot more.

76CSX is basically same unit but the case is different so it floats. 60CSX is waterproof.

Autorouting features with Topo Canada, and address searches with Metro Guide.

Use it when driving vehicle (using Ram mounts). use it on my quad (takes me everywhere and back) and great in the boat and walking.

Also works real well for Geocaching, downloadable caches instead of entering manually.

Either the 60 or 76, you'll love, just make sure it's the CSX

Edited by Deano

There you have it, folks.

It's euonimous. It's enamourous. It's annonymous. Dang it, we all agree.

Self-pats on the back all around. Nice job, guys, and congrats to each of us.

Now, Brky and DanC, go for it.

Edited by douG

There you have it, folks.

It's euonimous. It's enamourous. It's annonymous. Dang it, we all agree.

Self-pats on the back all around. Nice job, guys, and congrats to each of us.

Now, Brky and DanC, go for it.

Thanks for the link to gpscity.ca douG. Lots of info there including user comments. Good prices too.

well I guess that settles it...Garmin gets my money (kinda the way I was goin anyhow)...

Thanks for the info..with any luck it will be my right arm up there... when I get back I will post the pics...BIG LAKERS!!!! (which unfortunaetly won't be till Sept)

Brkygetr

I have the Map60 CSX as well and it's a geat unit like a couple other members have said.

The 76 floats but the buttons are above the screen instead of below like the 60 and you block the screen when you push the buttons. That might not bother you but that alone made me get the 60CSX.Either way you won't be disapointed by either unit .

Cheers

I'm running a Garmin 60csx and love the unit. I have the Canadian Topo along with it and it sure is nice having colour along with the mapping.

Good Luck with you choice and I hope you have a great summer up there. Its a place on my list of to visit someday.

Mike