TO island report

fish4me

Well after working almost everyday the past 3 weeks except for 1 day, and seeing the monster pike some OFNers have caught just before the season closes, I was determined to get into some spring pike season this year. Off to the islands and started at Hanlans. LOTS of ice left still. Nothing, no follows just snagged some branches. Went to centre island and casted there mainly and managed to get one to my surprise and then another follow later, but I think it was the first fish only because it had a bad white gash on the back that looked familiar. Also it was weird because the fish took off one way, i went the other way down 40 feet and managed a follow from wha tI believe to be the same fish (must be hungry). Felt great to get my first spring pike on the largest husky jerk I had. Did manage to throw spinners, spoons, crank baits, but it was the husky jerks that worked the best today. Tried Wards and nothing. Still lots of ice in the channels so with the season closing soon, I look foward to when it opens up again. Lots of walking and casting, very tired now, but it was worth it. And yeah the water is freezing cold, the pike almost got away unhooked and I grabbed it by the tail before it had a chance, need to snap a quick pic for proof.... and here she is:

richardsfish1.JPG

richardsfish2.JPG