NF - Used car loans

scugpg

I'm considering getting a used vehicle and have been shopping around for loans with good interest rates. Best I've seen is around 5.6% fixed.

Is there banks or other financial firms that might offer a better rate?

Interest cost of borrowing sucks, so trying to find the best rate out there. No credit issues etc so figured I could find something better than what I've seen so far.

Thanks!

If you are buying from a dealer they may have better rates. Read the fine print though, the lowest rates offered are usually for 2 or 3 year term.

The 5.6 is what I was told based on 5yrs. I'll see what is offered on shorter terms but the payment starts getting pretty big at that point

If you are buying from a dealer they may have better rates. Read the fine print though, the lowest rates offered are usually for 2 or 3 year term.

This is true. My current vehicle I bought used from a Honda dealer when they had one of their financing deals on. The rate was 0.9% on new vehicles and 3.9% on used.

FYI

5.6% is a pretty decent rate on a used vehicle.

You will be hard pressed to get better than about 8% through a bank.

If you're getting quoted that rate from the dealer make sure you find out what if any discount on the purchase price you can get if you pay cash - then arrange a personal loan or personal line of credit with your lender/banker. 5.6% for 5years does look like a pretty good rate though. If you've got some equity in your home, home owner credit lines are usually the cheapest way to borrow. what you're basically doing is arranging a secured (mortgage on your home) line of credit - in return for a good rate. takes a little bit of time at the outset to get set up - but then you've got it for as long as you own your home.

Get a line of credit and pay for the vehicle that way. If you have a house, then make it a secure line of credit which will have an even lower interest rate.

I have heard folk do this as well. I'll check that out last time I asked it was a 500 setup fee. I've of heard some folks getting a 2% variable which is great.

Get a line of credit and pay for the vehicle that way. If you have a house, then make it a secure line of credit which will have an even lower interest rate.

Yup.

Some banks have different names for it but it's essentially an equity line of credit. Had I not just bought the house, I could have paid for my new truck within my equity LOC and would have a 2.25% interest rate. Instead, I used a portion of it and put the rest on an unsecured (normal) line of credit which will yield a combined rate near 3.5%. Still damn good compared to the 12% dealer financing!

An equity line works like this...

200,000 property value

160,000 eligible equity (80% of value)

-130,000 balance owing

========

30,000 available credit

Depending on the amount borrowed, the $500 registration fee (reappraisal etc.) can be realized easily in interest savings.

Having said all that; if your mortgage term is nearing renewal (within 6-7months), you have a little leverage and they may waive the $500 fee to keep you at bank x.

I have heard folk do this as well. I'll check that out last time I asked it was a 500 setup fee. I've of heard some folks getting a 2% variable which is great.

I pay 5% on my LOC, but I am a student (read: unsecured). Line of credit is probably the way to go.