Vintage Outboard Buffs

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

hey guys! a friend of mine has been trying to get a vintage outboard working and is finding some elements of the mechanics difficult. i know some of you older gents have likely seen them... the brand is a "Ted Williams" 7.5hp and it's got a tecumseh motor.

his first question is if his model is air cooled? apparently some of them are and he can't seem to figure it out...

his second question is what spark plug model and gas mix he should be using with it, as he cant' seem to find any info anywhere...

thanks for any info you guys have.

:canadian:

not that I'm a buff but had some time looked around on google it was sold by sears it is air cooled and should use a champion H12 plug from what I found

see if you can get photos

also when I was looking for info on my 1966 evin rude I used Iboats with success

If I'm not mistaken, they were made by ESKA and sold under various brand names through different retail chains. The info I have for the 7.5 HP ESKA shows it was made from 1970 to 1987 and used a Champion RJ14YC plug or a NGK XR5 plug gaped at .030". It is water cooled, even though the heads are finned like an air cooled. The water cools the leg and the lower portion of the cylinders and bearings.

Info I have for it shows older 7.5's at 20:1 and newer at 50:1. The difference in these is probably due to the newer 2 stroke oils being better than the old oils. A mix of 40:1 should be safe with the newer oils.

Edited by Old Man

hey guys! a friend of mine has been trying to get a vintage outboard working and is finding some elements of the mechanics difficult. i know some of you older gents have likely seen them... the brand is a "Ted Williams" 7.5hp and it's got a tecumseh motor.

his first question is if his model is air cooled? apparently some of them are and he can't seem to figure it out...

his second question is what spark plug model and gas mix he should be using with it, as he cant' seem to find any info anywhere...

thanks for any info you guys have.

:canadian:

I wonder if he knows which end goes in the water. :rofl2: Take the cowl off, if it looks like a lawnmower engine with the fins, it's air cooled, no fins, water cooled.

If I'm not mistaken, they were made by ESKA and sold under various brand names through different retail chains. The info I have for the 7.5 HP ESKA shows it was made from 1970 to 1987 and used a Champion RJ14YC plug or a NGK XR5 plug gaped at .030". It is water cooled, even though the heads are finned like an air cooled. The water cools the leg and the lower portion of the cylinders and bearings.

Info I have for it shows older 7.5's at 20:1 and newer at 50:1. The difference in these is probably due to the newer 2 stroke oils being better than the old oils. A mix of 40:1 should be safe with the newer oils.

Hey you should be a weatherman!

"Todays forcast: sun, with a possibility of clouds. No rain on the horizon, but we might see the odd shower".

Ambiguity is an essential skill. :lol:

Now I remember why I don't bother posting here too often, too many. asshat.gif

I wouldnt be too hard on the place. Once ya sift through a bit, the majority are really great people here.thumbsup_anim.gif At least you made an effort to be helpful, and that was appreciated i'm sure.

Paul