Need help figuring out a selling price for a boat

danbouck

We decided that it's time to get rid of my Grandfathers boat and I'm trying to figure out a selling price. I'll throw on some pictures and if anyone can let me know a ballpark price that would be great.

It's an old (no idea on year) 18' Starcraft Holiday with a 115 Evinrude. Comes with a custom made trailer that's built like a tank, comes with a box that mounts on it when the boat's in the water. My grandfather bought it new.

Once I figure out a price, it will go in the classifieds here.

The Problems:

- The transom will need to be replaced, it still holds strong but should be replaced.

- The motor has only been used a handful of times in the last couple years so it will need a tuneup

- It's an older boat that sat in the water 4 months out of the year and is stained below the water line

- The ownership for the trailer is long gone

The pics that I have, can grab more this weekend

215038_22012080104_746020104_286059_5058_n.jpg

217070_22012190104_746020104_286081_1846_n.jpg

217262_22012075104_746020104_286058_4732_n.jpg

We decided that it's time to get rid of my Grandfathers boat and I'm trying to figure out a selling price. I'll throw on some pictures and if anyone can let me know a ballpark price that would be great.

It's an old (no idea on year) 18' Starcraft Holiday with a 115 Evinrude. Comes with a custom made trailer that's built like a tank, comes with a box that mounts on it when the boat's in the water. My grandfather bought it new.

Once I figure out a price, it will go in the classifieds here.

The Problems:

- The transom will need to be replaced, it still holds strong but should be replaced.

- The motor has only been used a handful of times in the last couple years so it will need a tuneup

- It's an older boat that sat in the water 4 months out of the year and is stained below the water line

- The ownership for the trailer is long gone

The pics that I have, can grab more this weekend

[

Based on the trim that I can see in the opics, I would judge it to be a early to mid 70's hull.

To redo the transom is a big job, but if done will add at least a thousand to the value IMHO

The motor is probably worth 700 - 1500- it's old and a fuel hog.

The trailer would be worth ~500 on a good day - ownership is easy just re-register as a home-built.

This paticular hull is very sought-after as it is proven to be one of the best big-water hulls out there. And the fact that it is setup for an outboard is an advantage as a lot of them were I/O. It is much easier to upgrade your powertrain if it is an out board.

I have seen these for as little as $300 and as much as $9000 when I was looking for the bow rider version of this hull. I would be tempted to take on another project, but...

The good news is, it's an outboard.

The bad news is, it's a closed bow.

Just a wild guess from the limited information but I'd say $2200-$3200. If it's on the ratty side of needing work, closer to $2200. If good care and maintenance is evident but still needs some reconditioning, closer to $3200.

I bought a 16' 1974 holiday with a '89 mercury 45 hp. I paid 2000. In my opinion you get what you pay for my boat is solid and so far has been very reliable. I didn't have to do anything to it. That being said I still have original sleeper seats, they are ready to come out. Transom is good and strong and it doesn't leak and the motor is great I saw the exact same boat with a '74. 70hp johnson on the back with 4 new swivel seats asking 2500. With a 115 I think you could probably get a decent amount.

My pop just passed away and we went through this same sort of thing. We sold his beloved organ for a song. He loved playing and singing for his family and it was a great organ and looked after but it was old. It felt wrong to sell it for so little but nobody wanted it and an older gentleman was really excited to get it.Unfortunately, I think you'd be lucky to get 1500 for it - not meaning to be rude. It is a very old boat and buying it would be a gamble or a lot of work and maybe more $ invested.

Just my guess

Landry

Based on the trim that I can see in the opics, I would judge it to be a early to mid 70's hull.

To redo the transom is a big job, but if done will add at least a thousand to the value IMHO

The motor is probably worth 700 - 1500- it's old and a fuel hog.

The trailer would be worth ~500 on a good day - ownership is easy just re-register as a home-built.

This paticular hull is very sought-after as it is proven to be one of the best big-water hulls out there. And the fact that it is setup for an outboard is an advantage as a lot of them were I/O. It is much easier to upgrade your powertrain if it is an out board.

I have seen these for as little as $300 and as much as $9000 when I was looking for the bow rider version of this hull. I would be tempted to take on another project, but...

HT knows somebody els that wants and needs a boat and has the know how to get it done..

So I am intrested in taking a look.

Thanks guys, i will pull it out this weekend and really go over it. Probably at least get her running strong and clean her up. But my mom does want it gone so i dont have too much time to do much to it.