Battery help needed, please

zvejnieks

Hi Guys,

Inherited a Garmin GPSMap168 (GPS/fishfinder combo)...and am wondering about the best type of battery to use for long fishing days. Maximum power usage is 10 Watts. Assuming maximum power usage, any idea how long the smaller 12V 7-8A batteries would last, or should I go straight to a Marine Deep cycle. I am trying to keep the weight down in my 14ft aluminum boat, but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

If all you are going to run off of that battery is the finder/gps, why not use a 12v gel cell like the ones made for the ice fishing finders. When Ice fishing or using my finder/gps in someone elses boat I have the Lowrance ice kit with the small 12v battery and it last all day.

I use a sport (motocycle) battery in my canoe ( and in the tinner when I had that) with the old pirhana. Lasts all day, charge it at night and much more portable.

Edited by spincast

If all you are going to run off of that battery is the finder/gps, why not use a 12v gel cell like the ones made for the ice fishing finders. When Ice fishing or using my finder/gps in someone elses boat I have the Lowrance ice kit with the small 12v battery and it last all day.

I second that

How do thise small batts like to be drained and charged all the time tho? Your going to kill 1 a year at least no? I run RC planes that need a batt and starting unit and those small sealed 12v batts only last about a season because they are always draining and being recharged. Marine batteries are made to be cycled and may last a few seasons

As long as that's not a colour unit, you will have plenty of power, and years of use out of the 12V 7aH Batteries. I've been using the same one winter and summer for 5 seasons now. Just keep it charged all the time and it will last. I can run just the graph on an similar lowrance for days.

S.

How do thise small batts like to be drained and charged all the time tho? Your going to kill 1 a year at least no? I run RC planes that need a batt and starting unit and those small sealed 12v batts only last about a season because they are always draining and being recharged. Marine batteries are made to be cycled and may last a few seasons

You must be getting the worst brand or have the lousiest luck. I've got one that runs my winter F/F and that thing has a 1989 date stamp on it and still works fine, mind you it's a Sonnenshine brand, made in Germany, not the cheap recycled crap from China.

If you're anywhere close to Hamilton, ACME battery on Parkdale has small sealed batteries for a good price. I think I paid less than$25 two years ago and use it to run my sonar in the winter. Compact, light and spillproof; runs the 'finder all day in the winter no problem.

Hi Guys,

Inherited a Garmin GPSMap168 (GPS/fishfinder combo)...and am wondering about the best type of battery to use for long fishing days. Maximum power usage is 10 Watts. Assuming maximum power usage, any idea how long the smaller 12V 7-8A batteries would last, or should I go straight to a Marine Deep cycle. I am trying to keep the weight down in my 14ft aluminum boat, but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Is your motor electric start? If so use that battery.