Out fishing...

Well, Went fishing with the GF this weekend for some kawartha crappie. Saturdays bite was a bit slow in the normal spot but the water temp was a bit down from last year, 54 degrees. We slowed down and were putting crappie in the boat maybe 2 an hour. The sun fish were crazy and driving me nuts, tonnes of bluegill and pumkin seeds. We moved deeper and shallower to try and get away from them but they wouldn't go away.

Sunday was better water was a couple degrees warmer, we finished off our limit with some great sized crappie. Of course as usual with the kawartha's. As I always come to expect we run into some redneck racist pigs on the water. In a White Nitro, grey and red stripes with a 150 Merc. They come into the small bay and get on the trolling motor. they start on the opposite side and I guess they weren't having much luck, because after the first crappie we put in the boat when they came in the bay they buzz over to us within 15 feet of us. We are anchored down and they start fan casting all around us. Then the guy in the front says to me. "Hey we caught lots of sunfish do you want to eat them?"

I said back to him "Well if you are only catching sunfish maybe you should just tie off to the back off my boat. You're so far away you may not catch any crappie way over there". I'll leave some of the choice comments that were hurled at us out of the this thread.

So he proceeded to stay on his trollin motor circling us for about a half an hour before he finally managed to cast right over my line. I mean really. Its not like we are all shoulder to shoulder at the grand river on opener here. We are in a lake in boats that move around. So I fired one two feet in front of his boat and let it sit there for about 10 minutes. The guy in the back I could tell was uncomfortable with the situation as he motioned to him to back off a few times.

Since we were at our limit and were trying to cull out some of the smaller ones from the live well. My GF wisely said "I can see your angry face coming out lets just go somewhere else before you jump into there boat", and believe me they were close enough I could have.

So I fired up the motor and left it on full rpm's idling for about 5 minutes while I pulled up the anchor and put my jacket on. We drifted to within about 2 feet of them, before I cut the throttle back and drove out of the bay.

I bumped into a friend back at my cousins place who said we was in the same bay later that day. I asked him if he saw a white Nitro with grey and red stripes and a 150 merc on it, with two older white guys in it. We said yah. "Those guys a morons". I said why what happened. He said "We caught one crappie and they came buzzing right over with there trolling motor then the guy in the back told the guy in the front to back off and give them some space"

I laughed and said "Was the deck of his boat wet?"

Anyway. I would expect more from a tournament bass fisherman. I know he goes in the emerald Isle Tourney, but never the less we had a great time. Here is a pic of our crappie from day 2.... day 1 all hit the frying pan and dissapered too quickly for a picture. :) Yum Yum...

We found the ideal water temp to be about 57 degrees in about 5-7 fow, in an area with submersed weed growth. We were using micro tubes suspended below a slip float, about 2 feet to 3 feet under the float. The trick to getting away from the sun fish was adjusting the height of the bobber. Too high and no fish. Too low and only sunfish.

crappie.jpg

Good on ya!!! Nice bunch of crappies you got there.

I would make a report of the harrasment you recieved from these two yokels and have your buddy do the same. It is illegal and unless they have their hands slapped they will just continue their misguided ways.

Yah I can't really complain too much, I think they got the point and the fishing was really good once we got dialed in. Worst part of the weekend was I broke the dip off of my Compre setting the hook on a musky that was disguised as a crappie. Gotta make a run down to aikmans this week. Its my walleye rod, that doubles as a drop shot and crappie rod. I hope he has a few spools kickin around, I would love to have some extra spools for those symetre's I bought on sale at gagnon's.

I gotta admit I am half tempted to go find them during the emerald isle tourney and go fish for sunfish where they are bass fishing. :):devil:

I don't ever want anyone to be in trouble, I just wanna go enjoymy day in peace. I prefer to leave all the poop disturbing to the fishing boards when I am off the water.

Edited by jedimaster

Yah, thats why I quit shore fishing many years ago. It used to be safe a sound in the boat, now its even getting bad there. Thankfully people leave me alone while I am in my tree stand with my 30/06 while deer hunting. Now if only I could find a way to legally put my tree stand in my boat and carry a gun and I think my world would be a perfect place.

The "R" word is still live and well in Ontario especially on and around the water.

Funiest one was a few weeks ago I walked past a marina and asked if they had any open slips for the summer. The owner went on and on for a half hour or so about how much he hated "those Asians" and how "some of them" bought the other marina and not to go there. I guess I shoulda took my hat and sunglasses off, as my lack of accent must have thrown him off. I just kinda slipped out the door shaking my head.

I kinda debated posting this thread to begin with but I was pretty steamed about it. Anyway, after the trout opener skunking I took, it sure was nice to get into some targetted fish. I mean out side of the idiot comments, at least give a guy some space. I mean why hoard in on someone thats just minding there own business. There is a whole lake to fish. Its not like there are only fish under my boat. They are everywhere. Especially crappie.

Sorry about the negative experiences on the water Jedi. Having grown up in Elmira I can get a pretty good mental image of the type of person that was sitting across from you. Nice haul on the Crappie though! I'm on Scugog for the long weekend and am going to target crappie almost exclusively - it'll be something almost new to me, so it should be a fun experience.

Thanks for the report.

I would have gotten the number from the boat...call it in as a suspected drunk boat driver and explain what they did...I'm guessing that might put them on the radar of the police pretty quick...