looking for glue for plastic

skinny

Hello all I'm looking for someglue to buy. the top on my laptop is cracked by the hinge and it need to be glued. this are takes some weight when opening and closing

what are the sugestions on here

Try Loctite gel:

LocTiteSuperGlueGel005228.jpg

Like any other cyanoacrylate glue it sticks just about anything to anything else, so be careful using it. The advantage of this particular gel over other 'superglues' is that it sets slower, allowing you to adjust the position of parts. Once you have the parts in place you can dribble some water on the glue to accelerate the curing process if you wish.

If you want strong something like JB Weld is good, the problem is that if it's only a crack, it may be hard to get more viscous stuff like epoxy in sufficiently to hold it so Super Glue may be the best solution as Dave said.

BTW Top tip on putting water on cyanacrylate to cure it - didn't know that :thumbsup_anim:

Realistically speaking, you're screwed. Most glues, even those for plastics, don't bond the plastic all that well. So in a high-stress area (like near your laptops hinges), glue will be at best a temporary solution. If you can figure out what kind of plastic your laptop is made of, it may be possible to chemically weld the crack shut. You simply add a small amount of a solvent that'll dissolve the plastic, then let it evaporate. This works for polycarbonate, polymethylmethacrylate, ABS, PCV, and acrylic. This is the only really reliable way to repair most plastics. Google can tell you which solvent will work with your plastic, if its an option. If looks matter to you, than don't do this (the welds tend to be ugly and discoloured).

Cyanoacrylates are good for bonding unstressed plastics. Unfortunately, they are quite brittle (technically, have a low shear tolerance), so in areas that will flex (like the plastic near a hinge) they are a poor choice. A more flexible glue, like some of the silicone adhesives (adhesives, not caulking or sealants) may do the job, but I'd expect getting that into a crack would be a real PITA. If you're willing to open the case, a plastic strip glued over the crack on the inside of the case (cyanoacrylate would be fine for this) would provide the strongest fix. If looks really don't matter, you could put the strip on the outside instead.

Bryan

EDIT: just to add, the most common silicone adhesive is used for gluing hot bits together in car engines. Any canadian tire, princess auto, etc, will have dozens of brans of the stuff. Its ugly as sin (when dry looks like slightly transparent feces) but I have a old case for my SCUBA camera that's been held together for 10 years by that stuff without fail, and under tremendous stress.

Edited by Warthaug

Locktite permabond works great too. Also if you mess up, acetone will get rid of it.

Careful - Acetone + many plastics = goopy mess. Before applying glue or solvents to a plastic, its best to check compatibility ahead of time (google is great for this). I've ruined a lot of expensive things because I didn't check - ya'll might as well learn from my stupid moments.

Bryan

Careful - Acetone + many plastics = goopy mess. Before applying glue or solvents to a plastic, its best to check compatibility ahead of time (google is great for this). I've ruined a lot of expensive things because I didn't check - ya'll might as well learn from my stupid moments.

Bryan

Agree 100%, nasty stuff.

I use slow cure gel epoxies and reinforcement strips to fix broken plastics.

You need to make sure to rough up the surfaces prior to applying the epoxy so it has some area to bite into if not it will just peel off.

I would disassemble the screen and make the repair and reassmble.

If I had to guess I would say it's either an Acer or Toshiba laptop. :ninja:

it's an acer aspire 9410

thanks for the glue tips I will have to see what I can find in my small town

:lol:

It's a design flaw with the two brands I named.

Have seen lots of broken top covers in the hinge location.

Edited by DRIFTER_016