Gas Fireplace cutting out

Rizzo

Finally got up to the cottage after 7 months of non-use and thought I'd test out the gas (Propane) fireplace. The pilot reluctantly lit and I was able to get fireplace going, but after about 10 seconds it would make a "click" noise and then shut itself off, including the pilot. This happened repeatedly until I finally gave up. Tank outside said it was still 40% full. Any thoughts?

spider in the venturi or a bad thermocouple. The click is the valve closing because it's not sensing heat.

I use to have a similar problem with the motorhome if it wasn't used for the winter. The fridge or furnace would not light as the line was full of air from sitting all winter. I'd run the stove to get the line purged and then light the fridge without it shutting off. Might be your problem as well and may just take some time to bleed the line before getting enough propane to the burner.

100 percent right.. Is it a direct vent or is it vented with a liner and gets its combustion air from the room? If it isn't direct vent it could also be a faulty spill switch..meaning a clogged vent causing over heating and your switch is working correctly or the switch is sticking ..and needs to be replaced.

The fact that you are able to get the pilot to hold for 10 seconds has me leading towards the thermocouple ..check your pilot assembly inside the firebox and see. If you have two probes sticking up. If you only have one then its a thermopile not a thermocouple.

Edited by livinisfishin

At one point I did leave the pilot on for about an hour, thinking air in the line might be the issue. Got the firelace going again, after 10m seconds it shut off...that was when I said screw it and shut the pilot off as well and went back to Barrie! Would an hour of the pilot being on be long enough to clear air out of the lines (tank is maybe 40 feet from the fireplace)

If the pilot is staying lit for that long then it is not t couple.The tcouple will cut off the pilot as soon as you lift your finger from the button.Would need to know the mdl and make to know more.Prolly not something to tackle your self if you dont have the skills.I would bet on a partially clogged pilot tube if I was pressed to diagnose it over the net.If you can take it loose and blow thru it or blow compressed air thru it you may be able to get it going.Is the pilot light lazy when it is on?

Joe

I've had spill switches that have been stuck open which do not allow pilot to stay lit as soon as you pull your finger off..but I have also replaced thermocouples that have only allowed the fireplace to stay on for so long , when replaced the pilot has stayed lit no problem. You also have a very good point about the pilot tube being clogged. If there is a lazy flame the thermocouple may not be making good contact with the flame therefore shutting off gas the gas flow. I don't think its a lazy flame though only because he said he has had the pilot running for an hour.

If the pilot is staying lit for that long then it is not t couple.The tcouple will cut off the pilot as soon as you lift your finger from the button.Would need to know the mdl and make to know more.Prolly not something to tackle your self if you dont have the skills.I would bet on a partially clogged pilot tube if I was pressed to diagnose it over the net.If you can take it loose and blow thru it or blow compressed air thru it you may be able to get it going.Is the pilot light lazy when it is on?

Joe

Edited by livinisfishin

flame on pilot is plenty strong, but when I switched it to burner, flame on the burner wasn't that strong and then shut off after approx 10 seconds.

Livinisfishin if you want to work out some kind of arrangement as Wayne has suggested let me know! Cottage is a little south of Parry Sound so not too far away, full of small pike and big bass.

Does the fireplace have 110 volt wiring to it? If not it could be the millivolt powerpile generator. Similar to a thermocouple, it is a probe that when heated by the pilot light, produces a small amount of electrial current that allows the gas valve to open. Or it could be a spider. :wallbash:

Being licensed, In all honesty guys, unless you are licensed to be working on a gas appliance, i would not recomend it. It can lean toward unsafe operating conditions and potential further expenses. Some gas fireplaces come with a ppilot assembly that you need to replace the whole thing as opposed to replacing the pilot tube, thermocouple or thermopile. The potential for more damage while replacing parts is great too, if you don't know what you are doing. Please call a licensed contractor or maybe a local guy can check it out for you. I'm not trying to drum up busines lol just trying to keep people safe.

What tinman said.Gas is nothing to mess with if you dont know what you are doing.Good call Dan...we used have what we called pilot generators in the hvac field.This sounds like it has a pilot safety and a burner safety of some sort.Would need to see a schematic to trouble shoot because I dont come across them much.

Joe