My first fish of the softwater season!

Hi all,

My wife and I actually had 3 days off in a row together. The weather sucked on Saturday and Sunday, so lots of indoor stuff got done, but on Monday afternoon when baby went down for a nap i went exploring. I stopped at Crappy tire on the way out to buy a new garden hose and bumped into my buddies Al and Carmon, lol....they joined the adventure.

We went to see if a local trout lake had enough ice off to cast from shore....nope...few days yet. So we walked down to a creek running out of the same lake to see if the suckers had started to run....nope....again a few more days. However there was a solitary walleye of about 19" just holding in the current under the falls...pretty cool to just watch him waiting for the Ladies to show up :thumbsup_anim:

EARLY BIRD GETS THE WORM EH BUDDY?

IMG_2522.jpg

IMG_2521.jpg

IMG_2520.jpg

IMG_2506.jpg

After that we headed to a small lake off the highway which we thought might be clearing of ice. This lake holds perch, pike and huge smallies. The ice was being blown off the lake as we watched and we stayed for an hour. Never fished for bass with the ice moving off the lake before...i got 2 hits and Carmon landed a decent one.

GOOD ONE CARMON!

IMG_2527.jpg

I wanted to stay longer ....but my turn to cook supper...and baby was gonna be up after his midday nap...soooooo off we went.

After supper we went for a family walk in our little piece of heaven. Its really great having a kid that loves the outdoors as we do this walk every evening now, before Jack came along we seldom did....its a really nice way to end the day.

LOL...even 1 of our 3 cats has taken to coming along for the walk and will follow us the whole way....and given we have 9 acres....i am surprised she follows for the whole circuit of the property...lol...more like a dog!

OUR KITTY EVEN JOINS US ON OUR EVENING STROLLS

IMG_2533.jpg

IMG_2577.jpg

IMG_2582.jpg

IMG_2589.jpg

IMG_2548.jpg

IMG_2567.jpg

IMG_2570.jpg

In that last picture, my wife and baby are standing on a little point on our shoreline that I had previously not noticed. The deer had beaten a trail off the main deer trail through the forest down tho the Lake. OMG...what a perfect spot to cast for my first ice out pike.

We finished our walk and while baby and mum took a bath I snuck back armed with my floating jig set up and some 5"-6" minnows and suckers.......within fifteen minutes I had one on.....then i just sat for another 15 minutes breathing in the scenery on a beautiful evening.

MY FIRST FISH OF THE SOFTWATER SEASON

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/C-0K_y1utz8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cool video Simon, and great pics. That's really neat that your cat follows you for your walks :thumbsup_anim:

It really is a little slice of heaven, you are a lucky man.

Nice pike too :)

Joey

Fantastic....the animals must really love you...the cat follows you around...the deer clear out a spot for you to fish...LOL

Love the shots of the evening walk....nice fish to start the softwater season with too!

I'm jealous Simon, up here we are still full of ice and the open water is JUST making an appearance at the end of the bay, but I did bring my skiff down today and washed it out in the hopes I can launch next week.

Cool video Simon, and great pics. That's really neat that your cat follows you for your walks :thumbsup_anim:

It really is a little slice of heaven, you are a lucky man.

Nice pike too :)

Joey

Thanks Joey, i'm loving that the cat follows us...she is a weird but very sweet kitty.

Always look forward to your reports/pics/videos, always great stuff!

It sure is nice to fish in the front yard isn't it? lol, we are lucky.

We got walleye spawning now, this makes me want to go get some pics as well.

DOOOOD...we will share a boat this year for sure!

if we could swear on here Simon I'd call you an whistling.gif SO VERY JEALOUS man! Beautiful location.. I love it!

If you need to cuss me out Ryan..just use PMs....lol.

Thanks for the reply :thumbsup_anim:

Fantastic....the animals must really love you...the cat follows you around...the deer clear out a spot for you to fish...LOL

Love the shots of the evening walk....nice fish to start the softwater season with too!

Limey Doolittle....lol...gots a good ring to it. :Gonefishing:

Good deal Simon :thumbsup_anim:

:thumbsup_anim: i'm dying to get out in the boat.

I'm jealous Simon, up here we are still full of ice and the open water is JUST making an appearance at the end of the bay, but I did bring my skiff down today and washed it out in the hopes I can launch next week.

Hey grt1.....i just went down to Gov. Dock on my way to work this afternoon....apart from our bay and 3 kms of the west arm the whole of the Goon to the east is completely locked in still.