anyone on here have a meat smoker

skinny

Hey I'm starting to gather items I would like to use for a smoker. This is kindof new to me but I remember as a kid having smoked meat all the time.

I'm curently trying to gather either old fridge racks or oven racks I figure 6 should be lots.

I'm also looking for the guts from a old pilot type water heater like a super flu.

the idea is that with the old water heater parts I will be able to get the right temp going and it will maintain it much like it maintains the temp in the water heater.

this whole thing is just a dream right now but looking for clues and info.

I'm just taking a guess at this but, the burner on a water heater puts out one heck of a pile of heat, I had one given to me, built a rack around it and use it for the big cast iron french fry pot. Even on low it takes no effort to heat in winter. I think part of the temp regulation problem is that the temperature sensor sits in the water as its heated, not in the surrounding air to turn the burner on and off. I just looked at our 40G present water heater, that's a 47,000 btu burner. I'd be leaning more on the 1000-1500 watt electric heater if your box would be the size of a 4 drawer filing cabinet. If you went propane, maybe a small single burner portable coleman camping stove. Anyway, good luck.

I wasn't thinking of being to much just rying to make sure I had enough. the old super flu water tank I had there was a external temp prob attached to side of the tank in in the water but that might have been why it sucked.

Electric hot plate from CTC $20

3 BBQ trays CTC $5 each

untreated cedar boards from Home Depot ~$50

It did let out a bit of smoke between the boards but fixed that up with silver furnace tape

Around 4 ft high and all sized to fit the BBQ trays. I add a couple hot charcoal briquettes to get temps up to 170-190C

DSCF9295.jpg

Finished product

DSCF9449.jpg

I've always been into simplicity seein I'm a city boy B)

http://www.cruftbox.com/cruft/docs/elecsmoker.html

Ya, but I have a friend that got sick from eating out of a garbage can...LOL....no really....he cooked a turkey one Thanksgiving in a garbage can and later came down with the flu...but I told him that's what you get from eating out of garbage cans... :rofl2:

Ya, but I have a friend that got sick from eating out of a garbage can...LOL....no really....he cooked a turkey one Thanksgiving in a garbage can and later came down with the flu...but I told him that's what you get from eating out of garbage cans... :rofl2:

Billy ya got to admit though that all the making of a functional smoker are right there..Nice fresh container with a lid and all ya got to do is add a couple of things to it and thar ya go !! You could even go as far as to cut out a side entry door and add an extra rack or two pending on what size of can you buy.

now this is no crap!

i worked for one of the top chefs in the world as a carpenter.!

his smoker was an old fridge .

one of the ones from 50s 60s ? where the compresor was behind a large pannel at the bottom.

he drilled a bunch of 1 inch holes in the bottom of fridge compartment and a 2 inch vent stack.

the old compresor compartment held the coals.

the smell that came out of it was simply heart stoping to say the least. my mouth is watering now. i also had the chance to sample meat that came out of it. (awesum)

they wouldnt tell me the kind of wood ! (damit)

Billy ya got to admit though that all the making of a functional smoker are right there..Nice fresh container with a lid and all ya got to do is add a couple of things to it and thar ya go !! You could even go as far as to cut out a side entry door and add an extra rack or two pending on what size of can you buy.

Oh, I agree 100%.....a garbage can does make a lot of sense...it's just my friend (who is not Redneck) heard about how good a turkey can be done in a garbage can. And he said it came out fantastic....but then 2 days later he got the flu....so I HAD to jump on that opportunity once he got over the flu... :lol:

ok so I decided I didn't like the racks at CTC . I found some (6) old oven racks. I also got all the guts for a old gas stove (partly my brothers Idea) if the gas thing is a bust I will make sure i can always go electric.

So the next part is wood I see others have used cedar. Is this the wood of choice ? why? was it tounge and grove i think it will end up about 6ft tall.