Fishing camp for kids

Ok so I have had this idea for a few years and I might pull the trigger for the 2012 season .What I am planning on doing is setting up 2, 1 week fishing camps for kids ages 8-13 .I am posting this to see what kind of interest there is for this ,would anyone here send there kids to something like this .I would be taking the kids out for bass and pike for 1 day(on long point bay) and a charter for bows and walleye as well as camping and fishing instruction each child would get a fishing rod and some tackle and learn how to tie lots of knots, cast a bait caster, stuff like that. It would be held at a reservoir camp grounds so the kids could fish every day if they like and I would provide canoes and supervision for these activities .I still have a lot of details that have to be addressed like insurance possible sponsors and what it would cost per child . I won’t be doing this to make money but would like to have it self supporting but if there’s enough interest I may consider doing this as a business in the summer months .Please feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] .Let me know your thoughts and if you would be interested in sending your children to a camp like this .

yep.

i would also be willing to volenteer.to help get this going.

sounds like a good idea.

i have a couple other sudjestions if your intrested?

Shoot me a PM I am all ears as far as I know this hasn't or isn't being done so it will take some planning and some trial and error but most important for this to work would be the kids have to catch a tonne of fish and have the time of there lives that is my first priority in this venture.

I have done this on a short term basis with underpriviledged kids( half a day)...If you have insurance worries then check into the possibility of starting a club affiliated with the OFAH. They provide members with free insurance for certain outdoor activities that may include this type of camp....You may also need to get police checks for anyone who is involved...in fact it's a good idea to do it anyways...Then there's the issue of feeding them etc. A day camp setup may be a good way to start off with overnights only if the parents stay with them or in a nearby tent...A good source of ideas could be scout leaders....

OFAH affiliation, might be your best bet with insurance. Most insurers shy away from group insurance for kids. Those that do offer coverage, levy a hefty premium per child.

Scouting is literally raped in order to have suitable insurance for their programs, and the insurer will give you a list of preconditions and limitations that must be met; especially any aquatic activities.

Not trying to be a wet blanket. Just trying to make you aware of what it all entails. I've jumped through the hoops for years running large scale youth events and been stopped dead in my tracks by the insurers.

I think a day camp is the best bet. I wouldn't take them out in a personal boat for insurance reasons. Do some hiking/fishing day trips, fly tying, canoeing and have a perch charter as the last day possibly.

I am always willing to lend a hand.

As a Dad I'd say the idea was awesome. Are you talking a day camp or a sleep over? I would seriously consider dropping coin on this but it would have to be comparable with other stuff out there.

My eldest is 6 so he'd hit your younger end ctiteria in year one. His attention span is pretty limited with fishing but he loves it. I never push it with him. If he says he wants to go - were gone. If he's bored or fidgety, we go right in or right to some pan fish fast!!!! You'll need to deal with that.

I'm thinking you will find the fishing the easy part though. You will need to figure out something else to keep them busy when not on the water. (Lifeguards for swimming?). You could probably pick up some ECE kids doing co-op placements or a hire a student grant. If my kids were involved I'd volunteer too.

I bet you could easily pick up a sponsor that wanted to market to kids to get some free gear. I bet there are some guys on this board who could hook you up. You could also find catering for the kids from other daycares around.

Get Italo Labignanni or guys from Fish \n Canada to get you some spots on their shows too. Hell get OFAH to give you a segment on their radio station and a story in the mag for some free publicity if you buy the insurance.

Good idea. Good luck! Feel free to PM me for a email address to keep me posted as a possible paying customer.

PS I think Blue Pickeral's idea is brilliant. Keep me posted if you do that too.

just a thought.

i think this is a great idea when i first read this post this afternoon i asked my daughter if she would like to go to a fihing camp for kids.

her eyes lit up like a christmass tree. she wanted to know if it would be camping and if i would be there?

this got me thinking.

what if OFC members got together on a few different weekends to give this a trile run?

this way srt8 could get the oppertunity work out the logistics and we as volenters could help.

not to mention the kidds could have a great time meeting new friends as well as parrents helping together to get a great idea off the ground.

like i said just a thougt.

it would take allot of planning but its for the kids.

The Belle River Chapter of Muskies Canada ran our kids fishing clinic for years it was a 1/2 day thing.

We had the OPP,Transport Canada,MNR,Local people talking about fishing, Games,Clown and face painting, Different areas where the kids would learn about fishing and helping them cast. We also had BBQ and prizes for the kids. It was all we could do to keep there attention for 4-5 hours we also needed a lot of volunteers to keep things going smooth. We also did and still do run the Belle river Kids fishing Derby in July during the sun-splash weekend.

I don't know what you can do to keep the kids happy and involved all day long it is a hard thing to do. I would think starting with a day idea might be better or have it a camp for the kids and parents but the parents can go off on there own at different times of the day when the kids are at camp.

I would like to volunteer but my summers are always so booked up we don't have to many just family weekends as it is. I hope that things work out for you with this adventure.

One other thing that you might want to check out is kids Copps Canadian Tire they help out everyone.

Thanks guys keep the ideas coming I will reply to everyone induvidually this week but just to be clear I am thinking a camping experience would be the most fun for the kids I am thinking small groups like 8-10 kids and I would encourage a couple moms an dads to stay and help out I would definately have some other activeties set up (board games movies sports) my wife is a day care provider and I would def be going to update my CPR/first aid and my lifegaurd cert. Like I said this will take LOTS of planning which is why I am sooting for next july to allow for lots of planning and I will make a decision in the fall and start advertising in the new year this is still just a idea but I am starting to think it just might work.

I like the idea of a week long camp as most summer camps are a week at a time and are utilized as a daycare replacement for many parents. Like any specific sport camp, many different activities are necessary. Most hockey camps have plenty of other activities since the kids can only be on the ice for so long each day. Logistically, it could probably be considered a multi sport camp once your final schedule comes together.

Be sure to update the thread with your progress. If you ever get to the stage of handling kids with food allergies, my interest would spike ;-)

Good luck.

Must have missed this post the other day. I think you are definitely onto something Shawn. Depending on when and where, I'd love to lend a hand as well...work schedule can be a little tough for me in the summer, but, I agree with Ryan...."keep me in the loop" as well. :thumbsup_anim: