Cozumel Report

Master of Bait

OFNCers,

I've been back from the south for just over a week now but this is the first chance I've had to draft up a proper report. I've got some pics below, but, sadly, it was more about relaxing in the sun than it was about fishing. There was still a little fishing, though, and the relaxing part was REALLY nice.

My wife and I flew into Cozumel from chilly Canadian climes on a late Sunday evening for a March break of fun and frivolity. This was just what we needed to cure the winter blues and I was PUMPED for the warm ocean with two rods in tow...

Arrived late, checked into the Cozumel Reef Resort and Spa and cruised over to the bar to enjoy some cool drinks in the warm evening air. This place looked great and we were looking forward to the week ahead.

121275.jpg

Slept in on day one and just enjoyed the beach. I had plans to get up early and angle a little while the wife slept in. That way I could fish on my own time and we could enjoy our days in the sun together.

It was bright and early, 5:30am, when I learned that I was surf casting into a protected national reserve. Yeah, that's right, the ocean on Cozumel's ENTIRE WEST COAST IS NOT OPEN TO FISHING... Nice.... Ultimately, it is to protect the natural wonder that is the second largest coral reef in the world. It's a mecca for scuba divers and snorkelers and home to some really beautiful reef fish. So it was not meant to be for me until we took our one and only drive to the far opposite coast at the end of the week. Oh well, sounds like beer at 10:30am, naps on the beach and casual dips in the carribean for most of the week... I managed to live with it...

On the Friday of the week we rented a car to do a lap of the island. We'd heard great things about completely empty, white sand, caribbean beaches, but the site that geeted us exceeded our expectations...

121262.jpg

This was the rougher surf side of the island that faces the open caribbean. Best part about it is that this side of the island cannot be developed according to current mandates, giving the adventurous folks a paradise to enjoy on their own.

121270.jpg

121267.jpg

Once I regained conciousness and the color came back to my face, my wife and I danced and jumped around a little before I got down to business. Having set up my rod, I would run waist deep into the crashing surf and launch a 2-ounce sinker loaded with calamari from the fish market as far as I could into the cresting waves. I would then run back up the beach to place my rod in it's holder, clear of the tide.

121272.jpg

121271.jpg

Amidst the fishing my wife and I explored a few tidal pools where we flipped over stones to find interesting critters like starfish and urchins.

121268.jpg

121273.jpg

And finally, as I watched my rod tip bob with the action of the waves, I connected with something. It was a small but very scrappy fighter that was not ready to give up too easily. This was the best moment. Having launched bait into the deep blue sea, I had absolutely no idea what might come out. With half a football field in line out, I took my time, relishing in the thought that, although small, this could be almost anything with fins. Finally, an ebbing wave revealed my prize...

BONEFISH!!!!!

121265.jpg

What a treat to pull this little guy out of the crashing surf. I reloaded the squid and fired out again after a careful live release. The action wasn't constant but it was a nice couple of hours of casual fishing. Within another short while, I connected with another. Had to snap two close ups of this guy. What a beautiful fish. They look almost irridescent in the sunlight (pics don't do justice).

121258.jpg

121266.jpg

That was it for the fishing action. We packed up and headed for the nearest bar.

One of only a few buildings on this far coast was a "Bob Marley" bar called 'Freedom in Paradise'. Owned by a Canadian girl from Kingston who'd had enough of the rat race and decided to make her life in Cozumel. Here is a pic of my wife with the "I love this beach but that sun is REALLY hot and I need a cold beer".

121263.jpg

A couple of days later, the sun set on our vacation, the end coming all too soon for a couple of travelers who'd just begun to get used to the good life. I guess that's what makes the memories that much sweeter.

121269.jpg

Hope you liked the recap. I know it wasn't fish-focused but, really, our trip was not either. I'm just glad I got to wet a line, if only for a couple hours, on a beach with no one else on it...

NICE !

think it was you that asked about cozumel a couple weeks back... I did the same thing as you when i was there last year... rented a car and drove around looking for spots to catch some fish !!

glad you had a good time .. Cozumel is now one of my favorites places to go... amazing beaches and water is crystal clear and WARMMM :)

Very nice pics and a great place to visit. My wife and I spent our honeymoon in Cancun about 9 years ago and did a number of side trips on the mainland. Beautiful beaches down there. Several years ago we want spent a week on Ambergris Key, Belize. More beautiful beaches, clear water ..... I'd love to go back some day. Thanks the sharing them ... brings back some great memories and future desires.

Sounds like a fantastic vacation, my wife and I were in Cozumel last September for a friend's wedding, and spent about five days in total.

Didn't do any fishing, so at least you got to do some surf-casting. I also remember the big difference between the east side of the island, which is almost entirely undeveloped, and the west side, which is lined with resorts & villas. Saw lots of locals enjoying the beach the day we rented a car and headed to the east side.

Mike