U.S. shipping address at Niagara falls ,NY

bassfighter

US address is available for those who wants to order stuff and shipped to just south of lewiston bridge. http://www.usaddressinc.com/

Shipping cost inside US is very inexpensive, USPS have flat rate shipping in different size box. Do not buy stuff if sellers will be using UPS, UPS charge less at times but will charge extra $25 brokerage fees and HST taxes, a catch for unsuspecting Canadians buyers. US sellers like to ship stuff using UPS, since it is convenient for them. UPS pick up the goods at their site, while the seller has to drop off the package at the local postal services using USPS. USPS working with Canada Post are not the fastest, can take at least 2 -3 weeks for our package to arrive. However, they seldom charge me a brokerage fees or HST taxes if home address is used. Once in a while Canada post randomly charge me taxes, I still cannot figure a pattern when they charge or when they do not charge. Definitely, not always worth buying stuff and get it shipped to canada. Unless you do a thorough comparison shopping or do a combine shipping with another buddy.

To maximize savings from a US purchase, work with 2 or 3 guys ordering stuff at the same time, to take advantage of shipping cost, US mail box storage fees and driving cost to Lewiston bridge. The border sometimes will charge you HST if they knew you are just picking up stuff from ebay seller. We always head back home and use Peace Bridge border to beat traffic on our day trip. Using Lewiston Bridge to get back to Canada is a long wait, going across in the morning is not an issue if you are there by 8am. Hang around Walmart first before most stores open, including the US mailbox address opens by 9am, walmart is open for 24 hours, they charge only $5 for tire balancing. Tire rotation is also very inexpensive. Deep cycle battery with 750 Cranking amp is roughly $80 with 1 year warranty.

The custom at the border do keep a record of your activity. If they suspect you have a regular pattern of just going for couple hours across and saying you did not buy anything, they will be suspicious of you picking up an ebay purchase or drugs or cigarettes, they will interrogate, check your entire vehicle for at least 1 hour. However, if you are travelling with your family, it is the best scenerio to do your shopping or picking up your ebay purchases. The officer knew you will buy stuff across the border due to our CA currency being good these days. Shopping is not a concern for custom officer. Lying is a concern for them. Better to declare and create a good track record of your shopping habits or history, rather than lying and get caught once, you will have a bad record in years, and will be stopped every time you go across. The US border will be controlling Canadian travelling pattern soon and will be stamping our passport, a new agreement signed between both countries to monitor our borders.

I have been across 30 times with my family for 8 hour day trip to buffalo in many years, we bought at most $250 worth of stuff between 4 of us as our shopping pattern, no issue on being charge any HST to date, not even once. We always declare what we had bought, have an attitude of being ready to pay our HST taxes, since we knew that even after adding our gas travelling expense, curency conversion, and HST taxes, we are still ahead. After many years of shopping across the border and experienceing tons of savings, we are ready to pay at least some taxes, However, we are always surprise that we never have to pay. Honesty is always the best policy. To maximize savings, you have to comparison shop in Canada and know what you want.

It cost $5 per package per week storage fee to this US address across lewiston Bridge, they are flexible at times for 2 weeks of storage without having to pay extra. Ebay seller will ship your goods, since it is not a P.O.box address. Your package has your name and a box number and NY address. If you are ordering more stuff and more frequent, I suggest you subscribe to a US address that cost $8 per month, they will then only charge you $1.50 per package per week.

Car parts at Carquest Military road is quite inexpensive. I also buy car parts from Ebay and get it shipped to the US address. Auto tires are very inexpensive across the border. I time all my purchases at least 10 days before my next trip to buffalo, and pick them up at the same time. My wife, daughter and I like to window shop across the border, so it is always a family day for us. There is a saying, happy wife equals happy life! Round trip gas expense from Toronto to Buffalo cost roughly $60, It includes going to Galleria(Dicks), Outlet and Boulevard Mall (close to Gander mountain.)

Unfortunate news for anglers expecting deals, Gander mountain and Dicks Buffalo are not inexpensive these days, unless they are having their sale. By chance, Gander mountain has some long 9-12 ft Salmon/Steelhead rod with some backbone rated for 4-12 lb range for sale at $40-$50 range this week. However, Peter's tackle at St. Catherines also have some deals a months ago for $70. On-line shopping are the cheapest, if one buys in bulk.

We can always find an excuse to fish the Niagara US side when we pick up the package, one day US fishing license is $15 , can be ordered on line.

Edited by bassfighter

I just had a $3750 x 60 lb Lycoming crank shaft sent USPS from MA. $90.55 insured. I couldn't put gas in my truck to Buffalo for that...

Sure, if you have nothing better to do than make weekly trips to NY with the family, go for it. But remember you're not actually allowed anything of value on a day trip, other than the cheap gas in your fuel tank!

Edited by irishfield

Best method to avoid to horrid brokerage fees is CAN-AM MAILBOXES 2315 WHIRLPOOL RD,NIAGARA FALLS ,N.Y. 14305,Just send the package C/O Bob Seager.Cost $6.30. Even if you declare it coming back you only pay the duty NOT the brokerage...still save a bundle.

i say this is more for those vendors who are not willing to ship to the states and for items that are big and cost a fortune to ship up here...

more than often, items are a lot cheaper in the States than in Canada, so you don't only save on shipping.. the service that I use doesn't charge for the time the package stays, only a one time fee. I usually wait until I have a few packages and then pick them all up at the same time.

• 1 year later...

Your kidding yourself if you think they don't track you coming and going...just saying

I declare all packages I bring across. If I have several parcels I'll stay overnight at Seneca, and my wife and I can each bring back $200 now. At Christmas we stayed 2 nights and each brought back $800.