which finder would you recommend

thefireman

Hello all, I was thinking of one of these 2 finders- Lowrance 5xDSI or the HB 596 HD DI. Both are around the same price but was wondering if anyone has these models and what their opinion was. Also do they have gps? It says they will track your waypoints, so I am to believe they have it. Any input on these 2 models will be appreciated and if you have a better suggestion for the money I am open to all. Thanks

I have had both Hummibird and Lowrance over the past handful of years. I believe the Lowrance HDS units are much better out of the two choices. I will never downgrade to a Humminbird again. Don't get me wrong, the HB is a good unit for the money. It works well and there is nothing wrong with the HB units I had... they just don't compare to the quality of the Lowrance HDS units.

Some people prefer HB, some people prefer Lowrance, it's a user preference. My preference is Lowrance after using both brands. I also like the standard 2 year warranty on the HDS units. Unless HB changed their policy, they only have a one year warranty.

The one thing I am unsure about now is how good the service for Lowrance will be since they closed the Mississauga office. They had great service there, it is a shame they closed it.

I'm sure you will be happy with either brand, both make good units. Make sure you research the units you are interested in to make sure you get everything you want in a unit.

Happy sonar hunting!

Aaron

My choice would be Lowrance, as previously stated choose the tool not the toy....

Here's Lowrance's website.....you can compare their products here...If it were me I would purchase the HDS 5 unit if that's the size screen you prefer.

http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Marine/

Good Luck in your decision,

Bob

I run a couple of Lowrance.My main unit is my LCX 113 CHD and I absolutely love it.It all depends what you want in a unit.I suggest going to the upcomming sportsmans show and stopping by the Radioworld booth.Talk to Lawren he will set you straight with all you need to know.

Don't the HDS units have a nasty habit of letting condensation in? I know it's been brought here on numerous occasions.

You're right......when the HDS units were first released Lowrance rushed them to the market and there was a H2O leakage problem when it rained.....Lowrance has since corrected that problem and replaced all effective units. The HDS units also are covered with a 2 year warranty, the only units that have that....all others 1 year only.

Bob

The HDS units don't have the Down scan imaging? I figure that would be better than the standard fish finder?

I think you may be confused....all HDS units are "capable" of down scanning AND SIDE SCANNING where the 5X DSI cannot side scan or be networked together. Networking 2 or more units on a boat is the cat's meow.

Lowrance's HDS units are the best on the market right now until Lowrance or someone else comes to the market with even a better unit.....HOWEVER, this units come with a hefty price tag. But it's the only unit out there that has a TWO YEAR warranty.....now if they could only make the fish bite... :whistling:

I am not sure what the price is for the other 2, but i would get the HDS 5, if you buy before march 27? you get a $50 mail in rebate as well. It is expanadable for future purchases, has a split screen for map/sonar, and as mentioned already, 2 year warranty.I talked with Lawren from Radioworld (he was a main cog for lowrance for many years and if anyone was an expert, it would be him)) and he doesn't suggest having a DSI as a standalone finder, it just doesn't show fish very well.If you can afford it, go with the HDS unit.

I like the visual presentation on a Lowrance better than the Humminbird but I like the ease of using a Humminbird better. I sit on a computer all day and don't need to do the same when I'm in the boat. With Lowrance you have to drill down through the database to set anything up and you really have to sit down and learn the unit first. Me...I don't want to make fishing work. I find the Humminbird menu more user friendly and quicker/easier to use plus many of the units have the hot buttons to pick previously set up screens.

I may be wrong but I think the hds 5x is not gps capable by itself. It can be hooked up to another gps though and is capable that way. It just can't take a mapping card. I may be wrong but that is my understanding so be careful it is not a gps/fishfinder by itself.

No experience with Hummingbird.

I bought the Lowrance HDS 5 last year largely on what I read here on this forum. It has GPS and is expandable for several other Lowrance add ons - 3D scan, networking, satellite radio. It also takes the SD card maps as well as using SD card for software updates. There is a less expensive model that does no have the GPS.

For a complete noob, it was a joy to learn. As well, the screen is very easy to read even in bright sunlight for eyes that should be using bifocals. I might have got the HDS 7 for the larger display but over budget.

Another vote for Radio World...when I needed extra rig for a second boat, was mailed out and received in 24 hours or so. Good price too.