CANADIAN SPORTFISHING

darsky

I can see your point some but frogs barely get used anymore except for the rowboat "locals" i see time and time again...get real fella's...I hate to see what people think of hunting let alone stupid frogs.

I think it's time to put this topic to rest.

Cool the jets. Said I used them. Just pointed out its different.

I can see your point some but frogs barely get used anymore except for the rowboat "locals" i see time and time again...get real fella's...I hate to see what people think of hunting let alone stupid frogs.

I think it's time to put this topic to rest.

Not sure where you get your info from Mike. I am not a row boat local and use frogs all the time. As do many of my friends. They are a great way to locate finicky bass and catch walleye in the fall.

Edited by Harrison

Not sure where you get your info from Mike. I am not a row boat local and use frogs all the time. As do many of my friends. They are a great way to locate finicky bass and catch walleye in the fall.

Not sure if you read my above posts...there is nothing wrong with using frogs...i used them for years and still have family that uses them...by "locals" where I fish every summer for 2-4 weeks the locals that i see time and time again still use them and i dont have anything bad to say about it...kinda miss using them but for me it's too easy to catch bass with a real frog...so I stopped using live bait(soft water) and haven't looked back as I like a challenge when fishing.

The show is alright sometimes but my dad always call's him "mr boring haha"...instant channel change most times but I've watch a few of his live bait segments. To say there are slightly wrong for showing kids how to hook up live bait is stupid and to be honest, be thankful that a hand ful of young ones are fishing and watching fishing shows.

But hey, everybody has something to say. In this world the younger kids are better off using a frog and catching bass young as I did.

Scientific study on pain in invertibrates. Interesting read.

http://cotrout.org/d...h_feel_pain.htm

PAIN IS A PSYCHOLOGICAL EXPERIENCE THAT IS SEPARATE FROM BEHAVIORAL REACTIONS TO INJURIOUS STIMULI

Or you can flick them in the head before you hook them like I remember doing...there you go all the research doesn't apply to frog fishing now.

I don't watch Italo Or Henry, but You guys must be wimps lol, when I was a kid we use to catch the frogs put them in a pail & take them one at a time & cut their legs off as we needed them & caught the biggest Speckles in out neck of the woods & if they were really big a buddy loved to cook them up & we'd eat them, nothing better then frog legs & rabbit, the good old days, only used frogs for pike or bass a few times, specks were way more important back then

SBK

kinda miss using them but for me it's too easy to catch bass with a real frog...so I stopped using live bait(soft water) and haven't looked back as I like a challenge when fishing.

Patience grasshopper... they are a tool.

Edited by Harrison

I honestly can't stand the show, or Italo. He is an arrogant, patronizing idiot and I don't care if I've offended anyone by saying it.

On the subject of frogs as bait: I used them sometimes as bait when I was younger and would never once hesitate in letting my boys use them either. If your worried about torturing animals, you shouldn't be fishing. With that said I always do my best to put the least amount of stress possible on bait and the fish that I catch with them.

Never personally had any sucess when using live frogs (1-2 frogs lifetime) but I hear they work great for buckets and Pike...

I don't think we need to use them anymore since lure manufacturers are making frog lures look better than the real thing, but hey if it's part of a tradition, or childhood memories, then go for it.

I'd rather leave them alone as they are a good indicator of environmental health in some areas, and they eat bugs of all different types.

Hmm a frog on a carolina rigg down in the weeds....anybody ever tried it..

Now your thinking Mike! :thumbsup_anim:

As for Canadian Sportfishing, they were #1 back in the day in Canada. No Doubt about it. TV, Mags, contests etc...

but times change as with all things in life.

Edited by Harrison

Used to use frogs all the time for large mouth. My kids would get buckets full at White Lake here in Ottawa. Toss them into any dark shadow along the bank and hold on. But with their numbers appearing to drop and the advance of plastics, I can't see sacrificing a frog for a fish I'm going to let go. Modern day imitations are the way to go.

I am not against using frogs as bait-it is just how the segment was presented. I just dont think little girls/kids should be present when hooking a frog. I can see my 6 yr old boy asking me " doesn't that hurt the frog Daddy ? "

I am not against using frogs as bait-it is just how the segment was presented. I just dont think little girls/kids should be present when hooking a frog. I can see my 6 yr old boy asking me " doesn't that hurt the frog Daddy ? "

Your soft hearted kindness should be commended D. I applaud you for thatclapping.gifclapping.gif

Paul