TOHATSU Outboards

Steve_R

Hi Im looking at getting a new 9.9 for my tinny..l was at the London boat and fishing snow today and l was looking at a Tohatsu 4 stroke. l have never herd of them before..any feed back would be great. or should l just stay away them and stick with Mercury or Yamaha?

Steve

The Merc is the Tohatsu as is the Nissan 9.8. Same engine. Tahatsu makes it. I did all this research last year and ended up buying a Nissan from a dealer in Mississauga who imports them from the US. Saved about $400 over anywhere you could get it in Ontario. New with full warranty. If you want me to find his contact info, let me know.

Tohatsu have been making outboards for decades, mainly for other brands (including Sears and Eaton's, at one time). As others have noted, they continue to make smaller outboards for other major brands, and they make parts for still other engines. The first Tohatsu branded motors showed up in Canada in the early 80s, I believe.

It's a good product.

Tohatsu have been making outboards for decades, mainly for other brands (including Sears and Eaton's, at one time). As others have noted, they continue to make smaller outboards for other major brands, and they make parts for still other engines. The first Tohatsu branded motors showed up in Canada in the early 80s, I believe.

It's a good product.

West Shore Marine

mapit.gif Address2175 Whitfield Road, R.R.#1 Port Perry ON L9L 1B2 Phone905-985-2658 Fax905-985-2658 DistanceApprox. 14 Miles

Edited by mercman

This thread has sparked my interest in a new motor again. Can anybody share a dealers location in/around Ontario?

http://www.mcgregorbaymarina.com/

These are very good motors. We have one as a tagged fish prize for the Rice Lake Spring Fishing Festival provided by McGregor Bay marine. If the tagged fish is not caught during the festival we will be drawing a lucky participant and giving away a new 9.8 Tohatsu motor. :clapping:

• 3 months later...

Was just doing a search on these motors and found this thread....most of whats talked about are the smaller horsepower motors. Can anyone add any input about the 60+ hp motors??? I have been looking now for over a year (all companies) and found a some pretty good deals on these motors. This makes me a little wary though? Any thoughts?

Dale