Interesting gas prices

lew

I was watching the Toronto news this morning and they mentioned that because of the recent troubles in the Middle East, gas prices have risen about 6 cents a litre in Toronto in the last couple days .

That's about 27 cents a gallon.

I then switched to an American channel and they said that because of the same troubles in the Middle East gas prices in the States have risen, on average, about 8 cents per gallon.

27 cents per gallon increase here...

8 cents per gallon increase in the States...

A Canadian gallon is only about 20% bigger than an American gallon but our increase is about 3 1/2 times more.

I just found that rather interesting.

Edited by lew

I was watching the Toronto news this morning and they mentioned that because of the recent troubles in the Middle East, gas prices have risen about 6 cents a litre in Toronto in the last couple days .

That's about 27 cents a gallon.

I then switched to an American channel and they said that because of the same troubles in the Middle East gas prices in the States have risen, on average, about 8 cents per gallon.

27 cents per gallon increase here...

8 cents per gallon increase in the States...

A Canadian gallon is only about 20% bigger than an American gallon but our increase is about 3 1/2 times more.

I just found that rather interesting.

And when you consider the beaver buck is basically at par with greenback Lew you can imagine how much money these scumbag oil companies are pulling in to say nothing of the scumbag politicians that let them get away with it!!!

And when you consider the beaver buck is basically at par with greenback Lew you can imagine how much money these scumbag oil companies are pulling in to say nothing of the scumbag politicians that let them get away with it!!!

And lets not forget the additional 8% Mr. McLiar jammed us with recentely, but I believe he said something about that being for our own good ?? :glare:

Where is the PM from??? There will be no meaningful reform in our fuel supply as long as Calgary is calling the shots. The Chretien government let the refiners and oil companies get rid of their competition (the individual gas station owners) and the whole retail structure was reworked to suit them. I never could figure out how that was supposed to be good for the consumer. There are fewer refineries which are artificially tightening the gasoline supply. Now I don't blame the oil companies for not wanting to spend billions on new refineries when the internal combustion engine may be going the way of the dodo bird in the next 25-50 years or sooner. We are getting hosed and there is nothing we can do about it. Saudi Arabia has 4 million barrels/day of excess capacity capability so really, Libya shouldn't really affect the market as much as it has with 1.6 million barrels/day of output. I think with all the unrest in the Middle East, we can expect oil prices to continue upwards and gas prices to do likewise. Unfortunately for us, who really knows what kind of regimes are going to take power in these countries. The people there in all likelihood whon't be any better off than they are now.

Too bad they have not developed a way to cleanly produce petroleum on a larger scale from our Canadian oil sands (largest bitumen deposits in the world) and have to rely on middle eastern oil due to its light sweet characteristics.

Another factor would be our love for large gas guzzling vechicles.... Did you know in 2010 Ford sold over 90,000 F Series trucks in Canada alone???? These are trucks with a minimum 98 liter gas tank....

Combined with increased demand from across the world for gas (eg. China, India ect...) It's no wonder when an Arab sneezes prices for us will increase.

We can't have it both ways guys.

It's not so much the unrest in places like Libya that throws our gas prices up, our gas prices are affected more by speculative day traders than what is happening in Libya. All their oil goes to Europe...

It doesn't help that they tax the crap out of our fuel at the pumps either.

somethings gotta give but it never does! The kicker is that all this speculation drives prices up, however, there is NO correction, EVER! argh!!!

I could be wrong but as far as I know due to NAFTA, Canada exports more oil to the states than any other country (Including Saudi Arabia). We have to legally give them (for the rest of our known lives) something like 75% of our oil. Basically oil in North America must be divided up to the highest consumers which of course is mainly the States. :wallbash: