Nipissing is good again-Almost

Bernie

Went out for a drive this morning to check things out after the wild weather.

I waited a day to make sure it froze up tight.

The ice is bumpy but you can go just about anywhere.

I used caution and avoided shorelines and channels known for current flows.

Police reported a vehicle went through over near Deepwater Point. Not sure where exactly but I suspect it may have been in a channel.

Anyhow, I took a couple pictures.

Good thing there was a rope on this one.

P1030689.jpg

And this guy wishes he would have had a rope.

P1030688.jpg

Good pics Bernie, the hut beside me on Callander Bay was on it's back too. Mine moved (pivoted) off thew 4x4 blocks I had it on and settled into the water. I'll use the chipper and chain saw to lossen it tomorrow and the farm jack to lift it up.

Here is where it used to sit. You can see the back end moved a fair bit.

CIMG2119.jpg

Here is a quick pic I took underneath just to see how bad it is in there. Look like an inch of wood plus the runner near the back.

CIMG2120.jpg

I'll get a good work out tomorrow.

2 hours of fishing with the wife, and boys and we caught 10 perch and a pike.

A little snow last night will help keep you on your feet.

Nipfisher, it looks like a tough job ahead of you. Chip as much ice as you can, otherwise it will split the board.

Mike, get out there and catch a few.

My turn to give it a try next weekend with the guys. :thumbsup_anim:

A little snow last night will help keep you on your feet.

Nipfisher, it looks like a tough job ahead of you. Chip as much ice as you can, otherwise it will split the board.

Was about 2 hours of chipping today with the spud bar. I brought my chainsaw but no gas :wallbash: I managed to free up both outside edges and then the farm jack popped it out. It is ready to move now.

Mike, get out there and catch a few.

My turn to give it a try next weekend with the guys. :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by Nipfisher

Things I have learned about having a hut over the years.

1. wrap your skis with crazy carpet. Roofing nails or a strip of 1x2 high on the skis to attach it. It slides really nice and pops out of the ice a lot easier than just bare wood. A few raps with an axe do a lot to break it free.

2. Chainsaw for cutting ice when its in deep. Chipping is a lot of work and ice really won't hurt a saw.

3. Keep it tied down and blocked up...I would much rather sacrifice a bunch of 4x4 blocks than spend 3 hours chipping.

A couple of posts into the ice will stop it from blowing away on you. When you move cut them flush or below the ice with the chainsaw.

4. You really have to go there every weekend for proper maintenance. I just don't have the time or don't want to fish the same spot every time I go so I skip the hut now.

I know...I'm rambling but I'm burnt out from yesterdays trip

Things I have learned about having a hut over the years.

1. wrap your skis with crazy carpet. Roofing nails or a strip of 1x2 high on the skis to attach it. It slides really nice and pops out of the ice a lot easier than just bare wood. A few raps with an axe do a lot to break it free.

2. Chainsaw for cutting ice when its in deep. Chipping is a lot of work and ice really won't hurt a saw.

3. Keep it tied down and blocked up...I would much rather sacrifice a bunch of 4x4 blocks than spend 3 hours chipping.

A couple of posts into the ice will stop it from blowing away on you. When you move cut them flush or below the ice with the chainsaw.

4. You really have to go there every weekend for proper maintenance. I just don't have the time or don't want to fish the same spot every time I go so I skip the hut now.

I know...I'm rambling but I'm burnt out from yesterdays trip

Dara, All great advise. I usually tie down my shack with an anchor (2x2 turned sideways in a hole tied to the shack) but I was hoping my 8x12 shack wouldn't move. I brought my chainsaw out but no gas :wallbash: with my cheap little Polan it would have saved me a buch of time and sore muscles.

Dara, All great advise. I usually tie down my shack with an anchor (2x2 turned sideways in a hole tied to the shack) but I was hoping my 8x12 shack wouldn't move. I brought my chainsaw out but no gas :wallbash: with my cheap little Polan it would have saved me a buch of time and sore muscles.

O ya, the bigger they are, the more wind they pick up.

I rebuilt an old shed at my cottage from the ruins of a couple shacks that came crashing in to shore and left floating in the spring..

There's always a good 2x4 or two left in them. :)

Edited by Bernie