Kaberle to boston

jedimaster

So the leafs a get a number 1 from Boston and joe coldbourne

He sounds like he could work out well to be a centre of kessle on the second line. Fast, big, pass first.

If the leafs can get dione straightened out, Reimer develops well, monster as a number 2, deal jiggy for another draft pick or something, I think next year is gonna be real interesting.

I think this deal is more than what could be expected from Kaberle. Hats off to Burke on this one. I have always liked Kaberle but to get a number 1 and a top center prospect is great.

Here is a little bio of him

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/joe_colborne

as a long time leaf fan its sad to see kabby go. however i think this was a good move clearing up some more cap space and acquiring a top prospect as well as their first round pick back

(correct me if i am wrong but that is the leafs pick that they got back from the kessel trade?).

Was there a classier player for the Leafs than Kaberle? Gilmour maybe but certainly not Sundin. It was nice of Kaberle to allow the trade. He's a free agent after this year anyway. And Sundin wonders why people never really warmed up to him (not me anyway).

Dan O.

The first round pick that they got from Boston was Boston's not the one that the Leafs gave up..., so it's at the back end of the first round.

It gives a chance for some of the farmhands to show their stuff.

WR

Most of the farm is already here!

Good trade for both teams.

Basically its a number 30 for a number 2 pick over the two years , cant see how thats a win unless dumping salary is the purpose. Should have moved him when they were rebuilding 2 years ago. That being said they had to do it at some point.

Just wonder who is going to get the puck out of there end now, Kaberle is one of the best in the league on getting that first pass going for the break out.

Basically its a number 30 for a number 2 pick over the two years , cant see how thats a win unless dumping salary is the purpose. Should have moved him when they were rebuilding 2 years ago. That being said they had to do it at some point.

Just wonder who is going to get the puck out of there end now, Kaberle is one of the best in the league on getting that first pass going for the break out.

They tried to make a similar deal last year and boston backed down before the trade deadline. Remember too, Kaberle had a no trade clause he could refuse any trade and thankfully allowed this to happen. They couldn't just sell him like he was freely available to all teams because he wasn't. What other choices did they have? This is likely the best deal they could've got for him and it's 10x better than having him walk to the free agent market like Sundin did.

Great deal for the Leafs IMO. I've been following Colbourne since he was the 2008 RBC Canadian Junior A Hockey League Player of the Year. The kids a beast and when he grows into his body will be a force.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Burke packages the two late first rounders he just aquired to move up in the draft as well.

As far as Kaberle goes, it's a sad day in leafland, but if the trade wasn't made he undoubtedly would have walked this summer anyway and the Leafs would've had nothing to show for him.

The team currently has no one on the roster who can do what Kaberle does.

I'm hoping Wilson changes their style a bit and has the forwards become more involved in breaking out of their zone.

I'm guessing we'll probably be seeing a forward on the point for powerplays as well.

In any case it's a fantastic deal for the Leafs future, very happy!

The leafs got worse today...however thats today. If the leafs miss the playoffs we know they will..and they dont do this deal kaberle walks and the leafs get nothing. To get a prospect and a late first rounder is great imo. Kab was a great defensemen for the leafs but he is honestly no better than a top 50 in the league. He looked good and logged minutes on the leafs cause we sucked. In boston he is about 3rd or 4th best.

Burke said in the press conference that he wants to deal the two late first rounders for a player, and then for a better pick. I am betting he gets a player, and I would think if he is able to deal jiggy he may also go.

The cap space in the summer resigns a few leafs, and picks up whatever they don't get in the next two weeks, a Center, a solid healthy backup goalie if monster caan't play, or a puck moving defenseman. We all know they need those three. Obviously Reimer is top dog next next. Monster is a big ? and Jiggy will walk if he is healthy or retire if he is not.

I am not sure who all the UFA's are this year, but a big shot puck mover or a solid center would be great at 5-7mil a year.

Next year brayden schen and kadre play center on line 2 and 3 with Joe biting at there heals. They still need that center...

Gonna edit in some of the UFAs for 2011 - Some of these guys would look great in blue and white.

Brad Richards

Chara

Thorton

StLuis

Markov

Vokuoun

Brylgalov

Semin

Miko Koivu

Edited by jedimaster

i for one am glad tosee him go. glad that they got as much as they did for him. considering how bad he is defensively and his bad play this year. now, if we can just ge rid of grabovski we'll be in good shape!

Do you even watch the games?

Haha, actually I watch all the games and live in stoney creek.

Schenn has been the best player all year.

Grabovski has scored a career high in goals. True. And some beauties and timely goals. However, a lot of his goals are the result of the excellant play of macarthur and kulemin. Both of whom have been 2 of the best players on the ice each nite. For all the goals grabovski has scored, he's caused twice as many with his poor defensive play, bad turnovers or just plain stupid penalties.

Kaberle is a great puck mover. Has a wicked shot when he uses it and can thread a needle with a pass. But he is a poor defenseman. He should have been moved up to the wing years ago. He's too soft in his own end.

Maybe u all should watch the game more closely and not base a players season on a few goals scored. More to the game then that!

I watch every game...and to say grabovski has to go is crazy. He is an offense first player no doubt, but. On a team that is in the bottom 5 in goals for to be in the top 20 in goals and leadin the team in goals, as well is. +7 is pretty good in my books. He plays with heart, doesn't back down. Gets backup. And puta the puck in the net. We have bigger fish to fry like kessle a -21. I don't think anyone is giving the con smythe to grabo but he is not the problem with the leafs.

Gonna edit in some of the UFAs for 2011 - Some of these guys would look great in blue and white.

Brad Richards

Chara

Thorton

StLuis

Markov

Vokuoun

Brylgalov

Semin

Miko Koivu

Although I would LOVE some of those players to be wearing Leafs jerseys next Fall, some have already signed extensions to avoid free agency.

Chara, Thornton, St. Louis, Semin, and Koivu all re-signed at different points during this season.

:wallbash: Wow that was stinker to watch! I know Anderson played well but that was terrible as an effort. :blink: Kaberle we didn't know how good you were and how the team would struggle without you. Phaneuf can't handle all the extra ice time and Gunnerson needs alot less time. :w00t: Going to be a long way to the end of the season and Boston might get that top pick!

:dunno:

Dan O.