fridge question

Hey all,

I have a question. I recently replaced my old fridge which works fine and we put it in the basement in the cold storage room.

I recently went downstairs and opened the freezer and everything in the freezer was frozen fine, but everything in the freezer door was thawing....except the ice packs. Now, is my freezer not working? or is it because the temperature outside the freezer is the same temperature or colder than inside the freezer? Any thoughts?

Thanks

Dave

There is a temp sensor that is calibrated to normal room temp. When the temp outside goes below freezing the sensor shuts down the system and it doesn't get cold. You can buy a small heater or hang a treble light down the back of the fridge which will then let it turn on.

Dave.......The stuff in the freezer door is still in the freezer section and should be the same temp as the freezer compartment.Touch the plastic moulding around the opening of the freezer door. Is it warm......there is a mullion heater on many freezers and refrigerators that helps keep condensation off the door frame.If it stays on, it will heat up the door, enough to defrost the door contents but not the rest of the freezer compartment.

Make and model number pleasewhistling.gif

In theory, no refrigeration system should be able to function in cold ambient conditions without the addition of special components. You domestic appliances are just not suited to operation in these conditions, The condenser on the back or bottom of the unit has to build sufficient pressure (called head pressure) to correctly allow for the metering device ( in this case, a capillary tube) with enough refrigerant to create the refrigeration effect necessary to freeze the food. The capillary tube is considered a "fixed orifice" and requires at least 60 psig across it to feed properly.

However saying all this, a lot of people do run freezers and refrigerators out in garages all winter.It defies what we know, but some folks get away with it. Depends on how cold it is outside too.

There is also the fact that if the thermostat (which in most cases controls the freezer section temperature) is satisfied by the cold ambient, then the compressor will not run long enough to freeze everything solid. The refrigerator section is usually controlled by directing a portion of the cold freezer air down into the refrigerator section to satisfy it.

These things cost enough to operate as it is without installing a heater on it. Silly idea in my opinion!

merc its the standard freezer on top ge that comes with newly built houses

Is it an older fridge Dave.If so, not a heck of alot goes wrong with them.They are a solid appliance that i know inside out.Probably just too cold in the cold storage. Raise the thermostat slowly until the compressor starts and check it in 24 hours.Becareful though,it may get cold enough to freeze the fresh food section too,because of the outside temp.

Paul

Well, I'll be Danged !!!

And here I thought I would have to get rid of the "beverage" fridge in the garage...rolleyes.gif

This is the first year I've noticed the freezer section not working...Hmmmm...The things you learn on OFC !thumbsup_anim.gif