Tough going out on the Lake for an ATV

Big Cliff

Managed to get off work a bit early on Friday. I noticed two guys trying to get their ice hut dug out and onto a sleigh so I thought I'd try to get out and give them a hand, they'd been at it for a while. Well getting to the lake wasn't too bad, I had made a trail the week before but from there on it was tough slugging. I got stuck about 7 or 8 times in snow drifts and had to dig myself out, the drifts were 2'+ in a lot of spots, the ATV will dig through a lot of stuff but once it gets hung up the wheels just go round and round.

Anyway I finally did manage to get out to where they were and with the three of us it only took about 15 minutes to get the hut up onto the sleigh. We had a nice chat, and away I went again. The trip back wasn't quite as bad since I did have a bit of a trail, I did get stuck a couple of times and had to shovel but nothing too serious. I also noticed that they had to pack a trail with their sleds before they could tow their hut or they just bogged down.

I was goint to try again yesterday but with wind gusts up to 60k and all the blowing and drifting snow, decided I had better things to do (like vacuum and do the floors). :whistling:

I'm sitting here this morning thinking "I wonder how long it would take me with the snow blower to clear a trail out to where I want to fish?"

I'm actually hoping that the warm weather and rain will knock the snow down and the cold weather that follows next weekend will make traveling on the lake much easier, I have some spots that I want to try but can't get to right now.

I just checked the weather forecast and they are calling for 35K winds for this afternoon, I sure hope it isn't like yesterday with gusts up to 60. That wouldn't make it too comfortable and I sure wouldn't try putting my portable up even in 35K winds. Time to build a solid hut for next winter I think.

Time to get some tracks for the ATV Cliff. :)

Was out on Nipissing with the pickup yesterday and took a cord of firewood out to the cottage.

The going was OK along the road out to the outfitters but when I had to swing off it things got pretty tough.

The snow made for tough going but was manageable in four wheel drive.

The toughest part was the last hundred feet in front of the cottage.

Snow had drifted in there from the wind last weekend and there was about a foot of slush under a foot or more of snow.

The wood gave me enough traction to carry me through but it would have been a bad situation if I had gotten stuck.

was oout on simcoe yesterday at innisfil beach i had my arctic 500 atv and buddy had a sled we went out almost to the islands didnt get stuck but slowed down abit in four wheel drive wind was really bad coming back in and holding the clam up

but the wind was making drifts buts they were getting a frozen layer on top

i will put my trac kit on this week i quess

no fish not even perch

Four of us were sitting in a restaurant in Bridgenorth Friday evening with a good view of Chemong Lake and could see a vehicle out on the ice who seemed to have alot of trouble moving thru the snow. Couldn't tell if it was a car or truck but could see from the back-up lights coming off and on that he had a problem. Took a good 30 minutes before he got outta there.

Lonely spot to be stuck after dark for sure.

Well, we can scrap the snowblower idea, :whistling: the snow is just too deep and hard packed, I made it about 30 yards and finally decided it was just a bad idea and too hard on the snowblower, looks like we'll be walking out today! I think I'll let the young lads break trail though.

I'm running a 450 Sportsman and it has lots of power but once the snow packs up under it you just can't get any traction.

It's been quite a few years since I have seen conditions like this on Nipissing.

Almost like it was many years ago.

With the ice shacks getting larger and heavier one of these years folks are going to get an eye opener on how to get them off the lake when the time comes.

Dad always built his as light as possible for easier removal in poor conditions.

I suspect that one of these years I'll find several shacks drifted up on my shoreline when the lake opens up.

Last weekend we got stuck a couple times in my truck on Chemong, nothing a shovel and push couldn't get us out of. I wouldn't go out on my own.

Yesterday we managed to get set up with the portable in a reasonably sheltered spot and had no problems, the wind wasn't as bad as you might have thought, fishing was poor at best. You gotta stick with the beaten path, fortunately we get enough traffic on Chemong to keep most spots accessible.

Despite the wind forecast, so far we have nothing more than a breeze, we'll be heading out at about 1 pm and try to stay past dark for a change. Most times we have been heading in while most people are just getting set-up for the evening bite because we've been out since 8 am, caught almost nothing and have had enough.

We were spoiled last year with travelling conditions, it's surprising how what really doesn't amount to heck of a lot of snow this year, has made a mess of the ice.

We had a wet fall and the water was above summer normals by November.

The water froze high and they have steadily dropped the level all winter.

They need to drop it in order to handle spring runoffs. But the runoff last spring was non-existent due to little snow and a very warm and dry April. I believe they could have handled the situation better however.

Hopefully they learned from the experience.

Thanks Bernie, hopefully things will be back to normal this year as it was just a bit hairy at times running around the West Arm last summer.

I'll be up there for a couple weeks again in August, so fingers crossed.

Remember Cliff.. if you clear a path you'll have to mark it nice and clear or the sledders will hunt you down! :whistling:B)

They won't have far to look, heck they can give me the one mitt salute as they go airborne LOL. Actually, where I would have made the path they shouldn't be riding anyway especially at any speed. We don't get a lot of sleaders out here, there aren't any trails close by.

What about snow shoes Cliff, would that be feasible for you in the deeper snow ??

Might be Lew, if I was a younger man LOL. Actually I did manage to walk out this afternoon. Once I got about 100 yards off shore the snow wasn't too bad, the warmer temps today seem to be making it pack down a little. Even in the last couple of hours there doesn't seem to be any drifting snow like there was when I first went out.

Fishing is really slow today, 2 walleye and about 8 perch for about 3 hours fishing. The cold finally started to get through to me so I called it a day.

Hopefully by next weekend I'll be able to get around out there and can do some serious fishing. The crappie are there, I just have to find them.