Brook Trout Or Splake

toca

42 members have voted

1. 1. What Kind Of Trout Is It?

• Splake
    • Brook Trout

It is a brook trout.

I remember the report where you caught a fallfish as well there.

Both uncommon catches in Rice Lake but it was early in the season when the water was still cold.

Have caught quite a few specks in tribs of the Otonabee River. Early in the cold water season they could slip into main lake.

Yeah I Asked If It Was A Speckled. But Somebody I Talked To Mention It Could Be A Splake. So I Thought I Confirm It Once And For All.

I Caught This Fish At Rice Lake. It Was Approximately 10" And Was Release Immediately Because It Was Out Of Season. Took My Quick Picture And Put It Back.

After looking at all the pictures and some of my own I am sure that it isn't a brookie, and it sure ain't a laker so that only leaves a splake. The post about the tail is correct. It isn't square and it isn't fully forked like a laker so another vote for the splake. Soooooooo theres my 2 cents.... I think its a splake.

The only legal answer is, if it was caught in a lake stocked with Splake, then its a splake. If it was caught in a spec lake or anywhere else then its a spec.

Splake are open year round and you are not expected to determine if it is a splake, spec or lake trout. If the lake is stocked with splake, its legal as a splake

Just by location, I'd hafta say it's a brookie. I can't imagine anywhere near Rice that would be stocked with splake.

Agreed. If you'd have said Rice right off the bat there would've been no doubt. :D

Some of the creeks feeding Rice have brookies. There's certainly no splake.

As far as the mis-identification goes, the tail is slightly forked in the pic.

If you guys are curious google some images of splake. As mentioned depending on the strain they look pretty much exactly like spec's except for the tail.

Definatly a speck. The square tail doesn't mean perfectly square. A Spec side by side to a splake is easily distinguishable. I have only been on one lake with both Spec's and Splake's.

Plus to tell the tail, you ned to lay to fish on its side and spread the tail out completly. If the tailfin is pressed in it will fork a bit like in the picture. But if you had of spread it out you woul dsee it squares up a bit.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

anyone who claims to be able to tell by looks alone are full of beans... at least according to the flat belly scientist types.

they think they can tell because they've fished lakes with splake... therefore, they knew WHEN they caught them that they were splake.

i looked at specimens in college that were in fact splake, but looked in every way similar to a brook trout, including the square tail. as i mentioned above, the only way to know is to count the pyloric caeca, and if you can do that looking at a picture you're real good!

but, it sure is funny how definite some of you are! :whistling:

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i think it's been established that it's a brookie, but that's only because the location of where it was caught was revealed.

if that fish had no waterbody associated with it, there is not a person on this page who could tell definitively by a single picture like that (even though many of you clearly think you can)...

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

i think it's been established that it's a brookie, but that's only because the location of where it was caught was revealed.

if that fish had no waterbody associated with it, there is not a person on this page who could tell by a single picture like that (even though many of you clearly think you can)...

Agreed.

My first answer was a guess, nothing more.

Have you ever seen a Speckled trout with a deeply forked tail? Me neither. If it has a forked tail and its in a lake stocked with splake, chances are very good its a Splake.

If its in a lake that has not been stocked with splake, and the tail is squarish its more than likely a speckle trout.

If you are on a lake with both speckled trout and splake then you are in for a fit, and you will have to take your best guess.