Catching Gar Pike

northernboy

Well, I have been a long time lurker here on the board, and have learned much from all of the members here. It has come time to introduce myself and ask a question. I live in Sudbury and have recently purchased a cottage on Lake Nippissing West Arm, and there are gar pike in the area. Just wondering any tips and tricks for catching them.

Thanks in advance

Hello neighbor..Welcome aboard!! :thumbsup_anim:

We (Dad and I) used to "noose" them with snare wire and a 5-7" sucker minnow.. no hooks. worked like a charm... I haven't tried it

in a while , but was very successful in the past.

'Kinda like snaring a wabbit... Many gar in the West Arm.. the whole of Nipissing for that matter...

Randy

:canadian:

Northernboy,

We fish for them now and again on the west arm of Nipissing. Most of the time in the summer you will find them in back bays in the shallows. On approach they will look like small pieces of timber lined up in the shallow water but when you get closer you will be able to distinguish fish from wood.

Ok,so heres the way we do it. Enter small back bay and shut of motor not to spook the gar. Paddle in slowly until you can make out the gar lying just under the surface in the shallows. Use spinning rod with single hook no leader no weight. Thread minnow through the lips so he can swim around a little and cast this gently towards the gar without spooking them. Stealth is the key to this type of gar fishing in Nipissing. If you need to know more about these back bay locations PM me

When the bass aren't biting we throw small senkos in white and keep them moving just under the surface. The ones that don't sink so fast work the best. It's sight fishing for us so it's cool to cast and get a reaction. Lots of bites but not so many hook ups. I kind of like it that way though

Thanks to all who replied.

I watched the Aaron Shirley episode and it was really good and informative.

Hello Randy. I am a little further in than you as I am in the Musky Bay area.

ChrisK, thanks, and see you on the water in the spring.

Northernboy

And too all in doubt, TILLER all the way

Edited by northernboy

When the bass aren't biting we throw small senkos in white and keep them moving just under the surface. The ones that don't sink so fast work the best. It's sight fishing for us so it's cool to cast and get a reaction. Lots of bites but not so many hook ups. I kind of like it that way though

Even better - just take a six-inch length of white braided anchor rope, and fray it with a knife so the end is all frilly. Then twitch it like you would with a Slug-Go. You don't even need a hook - their little curved teeth get stuck in the frayed rope. In fact, 'unhooking' them takes a bit of patience.

• 2 years later...

My son and I went poking around some bays off of the West Arm yesterday just to look for Gar but didn't see anything...caught some nice largemouth though. Any other specific info on location? We are from New Liskeard so we don't get down there often but like to go to get fish that we don't have up here.