Beer on the ice?

cram

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

I would apply the same rules as summer boating...use a coozie on your beer can. Place all empties back in the cooler and carry no more than 3 beers per personal cooler.

Art

and i'd say that would make you a responsible angler.

here in ontario however having one of those beers could land you a 100-something dollar fine.

my uncle has received a fine 2 summers in a row for having ONE beer in the boat. he's not a drinker at all but took a single beer in the boat for his evening troll. it's despicable!

how about this one - EMPTY beers in the boat?

cop says do you have any alcohol on board.

boater - no

cop searches finds 4 empty beer cans in the livewell.

cop - you said you didn't have alcohol?

boater - i dont have alcohol i have garbage. there is an empty tim hortons cup right there, if you asked if i had any coffee i would also say no.

so the cop wants to pursue the issue, so the explanation is we were in our residence (campsite) and drank these beers legally. we are now responsibly returning our garbage on the way out, as it would be illegal to leave it.

the issue im raising is the transportation of empty liquor containers can be an issue as well. once a year we clean out the island of empties. im talking a bargeload, hundreds of cases of bottles and bags of cans. its about the only money the lodge makes! so if a cop pulls the barge over and discovers 50000 beer bottles are we in violation of the law? im talking two guys on a 38foot barge so loaded with bottles you cant see over the top! the answer is yes, if you can get grilled over EMPTIES in your bassboat, and of course you're not loaded. but here common sense rules out, beers have to get to island properties and empties have to come back.

well the opp officer found out who the group was and 'let us off with a warning'. translation - too hard to prosecute empties without prooof of consumption.

just something to chew on. you'd would have liked the look on his face when the tim horton comment was made....

Guest gbfisher

Oh boy we have a real scientist here, :wallbash: what do you call it when it thaws, crown ________ :jerry:

It's called water... :good:

Water on the water Beer over here. :lol:

The registration for your hut is the reason behind being on crown land. ;)

Ya need to do some reading Mr Fisherman. :)

It's called water... :good:

Water on the water Beer over here. :lol:

The registration for your hut is the reason behind being on crown land. ;)

Ya need to do some reading Mr Fisherman. :)

The registration for your hut is the reason behind being on crown land. ;) The last time I checked, you registered permanent huts so that the MNR knew who the owner was in case of it being left after the "hut off the ice" date, nothing to do with crown land. That's why you don't have to register the smaller portable huts, people take them home at night so they are not left to be trashed or burned down like the big ones.

Guest gbfisher

The registration for your hut is the reason behind being on crown land. ;) The last time I checked, you registered permanent huts so that the MNR knew who the owner was in case of it being left after the "hut off the ice" date, nothing to do with crown land. That's why you don't have to register the smaller portable huts, people take them home at night so they are not left to be trashed or burned down like the big ones.

I meant to add that your INS and registration for your ATV or snowmachine is to ride on crown land as well. That would include frozen lakes. :D

Seems to me we have a lot of rules and different interpretations.

So just why is it illegal to drink a beer while fishing, lets say, in a hut.

There are laws against being drunk in a public lace. there are laws against drunk driving. So why is there a law against drinking at all. What do they think we are...little kids. As long as you don't disturb others or drive impaired, whats the problem.

And why don't the cops issue a release officially stating the rules on ice huts. Are they scared we might not kiss their butts when they come to interogate us. Its not like there is a G20 summit out on the ice

Seems to me we have a lot of rules and different interpretations.

So just why is it illegal to drink a beer while fishing, lets say, in a hut.

There are laws against being drunk in a public lace. there are laws against drunk driving. So why is there a law against drinking at all. What do they think we are...little kids. As long as you don't disturb others or drive impaired, whats the problem.

And why don't the cops issue a release officially stating the rules on ice huts. Are they scared we might not kiss their butts when they come to interogate us. Its not like there is a G20 summit out on the ice

... but they sorta did on our local news this week, but the terms used were "some sort of permanency!" Very vague and quite obvious nobody still knows the true law???? Very grey!. I'll continue to "sip" in my hut and deal with the consequences....doesn't mean I'll ever operate anything impaired! It's all Bull. spell it out once and for all and we'll react accordingly.

Because most who drink do stupid things including driving atvs or snowmobiles drunk... People on this board may have self control and common sense, but there are MANY people out there who aren't

Alcohol makes people do really stupid things and from what I see day in and day out there are a lot of good people who become absolute idiots when they drink

I'd just like to add that if you have a vehicle or a sled parked next to your hut, it seems to me you'd better pull the ignition key while fishing.

Depending on "officer discretion" if you've had a couple you might get slapped with a vehicular offense, and that means losing your driver's license and all the other nasty stuff.

Because most who drink do stupid things including driving atvs or snowmobiles drunk... People on this board may have self control and common sense, but there are MANY people out there who aren't

Alcohol makes people do really stupid things and from what I see day in and day out there are a lot of good people who become absolute idiots when they drink

"most" who drink, drink and drive? Is that honestly how you see the world?

In response to...""most" who drink, drink and drive? Is that honestly how you see the world?"

Yup

C'mon now. You must know that's not true. Surely you must know collegues who enjoy a drink or two...perhaps you do yourself. I know I do...but that doesn't mean that any of us drink and drive.