Parking Access to Lake Simcoe Now Restricted

Aaron Shirley

OK I'll play the devils advocate.

Saw this happen years ago in Keswick. Witnessed a women change her kids diaper and throw the dirty diaper on a residence lawn and then walk past a porta pottie and 2 garbage cans to get back to fishing. I think that kinda stuff just pushed the locals over the edge...and can you blame them?

Same sort of thing got an access point to Sturgeon Lake closed last year, garbage, used toilet paper, just thrown on the ground. The locals got tired of having to clean it up.

Beans and I went to a spot a couple of years ago to do a little shore fishing, we spent about 1/2 an hour cleaning up garbage even though there were garbage cans sitting right there, the previous anglers had just thrown their stuff all over the ground.

Get used to seeing public access points closed because saddly I doubt it is going to get any better!

Ya, but people litter everywhere. I have cleaned up my fair share of other people's litter at fishing spots and it disgusts me, but there is litter all over the city/country and you can't close up everything because of it. The Subway would never run again if that were the case!!!

Hmm, wonder if the locals are tossing litter to make it look like it's the anglers :whistling::blahblah1:

I can't stop people from parking in front of my house or in the nearest parking lot so I can't understand how this bylaw was passed. Don't think the locals need to park there either as they're "local." :rolleyes:

:"Hmm, wonder if the locals are tossing litter to make it look like it's the anglers"

LOL :rolleyes:

Tell you what, wanna save ten bucks?.....you are more than welcome to park in my driveway.

3 min and your on the lake.

Leaves me a spot for my truck and trailer at the launch :clapping:

Edited by Rustic-Fisher

I only have one question because i'm 90% against this sort of thing...

How busy is this parking area typically? Does it get busy enough that it ever gets full? Was getting a parking spot at 10 am on a Saturday possible or were guys from Toronto already in every spot?

I could see the municipality taking issue with local residents not being able to access a facility they pay for through taxes because it's full of "outsiders"...

The parking lot has about 7 spots, it's full before 8am. I'm surprised they even call it a parking lot. Problem is ALL the roads around the area are posted as well, so nowhere to park.

Edited by BillM

For the most part, we are the hard core of the fishing world. We live eat breath fishing.

The average angler is a 2 week a year weekend warrior. Don't know the issues and don't care. Like most weekend warriors and their hobbies. See it camping, fishing, skidooing, cycling, golfing, etc... Too busy having fun to worry about the impact they are having. Used to having people clean up after them rather than cleaning up after themselves.

With this prevalent attitude, get used to seeing trash. Get used to seeing angry residents. Get used to seeing restricted access.

Other municipalities take another tack. Automated parking lots and user fees. I've seen the ticket meters in a few fishing locations as well. The sites were downloaded on municipalities that don't want to foot the bill. So visitors now pay.

Other municipalities take another tack. Automated parking lots and user fees. I've seen the ticket meters in a few fishing locations as well. The sites were downloaded on municipalities that don't want to foot the bill. So visitors now pay.

No one wants to pay Bruce...but given a choice I think most would rather pay then lose access. Like I mentioned in my earlier post though...existing infrastructure can rule this out in a lot of cases.

Edited by crappieperchhunter

I use to fish 100 days a year (literally). Now with a child I am a week end warrior. I do not litter. I do not take the issues with a grain of salt. In fact I appreciate them more as my time is limited on the water.

Idiots litter. It does not matter how far they drive or how much they fish or who they voted for or which team they cheer for.

I will guarantee one thing. When this is all said and done the morning noise and the litter will not subside magically now that only the Innisfil residents are the only ones able to utilize that access.

The littering and the noise is not done by the evil city people.

Actually most of the out of towners that are dubbed the evil city people are in fact other rural people from other rural communities that do not have the luxury of having a lake at the back door.

This has nothing to do with litter and noise. This has more to do with

a municipal government securing votes.

edit "does" to "does not" matter.

I use to fish 100 days a year (literally). Now with a child I am a week end warrior. I do not litter. I do not take the issues with a grain of salt. In fact I appreciate them more as my time is limited on the water.

Idiots litter. It does matter how far they drive or how much they fish or who they voted for or which team they cheer for.

I will guarantee one thing. When this is all said and done the morning noise and the litter will not subside magically now that only the Innisfil residents are the only ones able to utilize that access.

The littering and the noise is not done by the evil city people.

Actually most of the out of towners that are dubbed the evil city people are in fact other rural people from other rural communities that do not have the luxury of having a lake at the back door.

This has nothing to do with litter and noise. This has more to do with

a municipal government securing votes.

And you are still, like me, part of a very small minority.

Residents squawk and politicians listen, and the outsiders become the scapegoat. Whether the trouble is local or outsider does not matter. It will also help to line someone's pocket.

Perhaps the Federation of Anglers and Hunters" could send some letters of discontent towards the parking issues at BBP and lake access in general. They are the voice of average fisherpeople.

I sent my zone rep an email. The last time I did that in Niagara on the Lake the OFAH came right down to check out the area and met with the municipality presenting at a town meeting. Many of us on NFN also submitted letters to the town and some had it added to the minutes.

I spoke personally on the phone with the mayor who was very upset this was happening as he fished that spot for years. It was all in vain though and we lost. As we were all discussing the situation and the threat of starting a trend some ignorant slobs were filling the place with trash and crapping in the neighbours gardens. Yes they were fishermen and aside from the dinner plates and napkins left behind the next biggest item was fishing trash. We are a disgrace and we need to clean up our act.

Now only NOTL residents can get a permit to fish there.

And you are still, like me, part of a very small minority.

Residents squawk and politicians listen, and the outsiders become the scapegoat. Whether the trouble is local or outsider does not matter. It will also help to line someone's pocket.

indeed

It has nothing to do with noise or garbage. That was an assumption by us because that type of thing is prevalent.

I agree as a group we need to be more respectful and not litter, and show respect for locals. This isn't the reason for closing the government dock parking to non-residents at BBP.

I received a reply from the township of Innisfil. You can review what they had to say at this OFC link:

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=50246