large frozen smelts

SBCregal

Does anyone know where you can find whole, head on frozen smelts? I am heading up to a buddys camp at the end of the month and was looking to get some frozen fish to use as deadbait for pike on his lake. I've only come across gutted/head off fish in the freezer depts of the grocery stores i've been to. I have seen larger sardines for sale with the heads, but I'm not sure how well those would work. Will the headless ones work well enough? If it matters we're heading up to the Massey/La Cloche lake area.

ryan

I've only seen whole frozen smelts for sale in Alberta, where live bait is illegal. You may find someone who has them in their own freezer but it might not be an easy task.

Maybe with a well matched jig head and a trailer quick strike hook, the gutted smelt would work???

This spring, net some smelts and keep them in your freezer., smelt fishing is SOOOO much fun thumbsup_anim.gifthumbsup_anim.gif ..I've got some beauty chub I'm keeping for lakers and pike this winter.

live or dead smelt illegal to use as bait in ontario.. Grocery store smelt might be ok if can prove it, would check first

Live Smelt cannot be used but with the exception of a few Zones, there is no restriction on using dead Smelt as bait. Massey/LaCloche is in Zone 10 which has no such restriction.

Edited by wallacio

price choppers (now a new name) in brantford had both whole and prepared frozen smelt for the 3 years or so i had been going there. might want to check there? fortino's is probably a good place to check too.

i've seen them at many grocery stores around here so they shouldn't be that hard to find?

check the ontario fishing gear and bait regulations, it has something about smelt as bait. http://www.mnr.gov.o...el02_178932.pdf This is where I saw it Regulatory guide lines for Bait and Gear restrictions.

The link you posted doesn't work. Page 10 of the Ontario Fishing Regulations says nothing about using frozen smelts.

Tedley's link worked for me....good resource outlining current restrictions plus some proposed ones. The fishing regulations are clear about what can be used as LIVE bait....but so far I can't find anything saying dead bait is not allowed.

Edit: Upon closer inspection, Tedley's link is dated Feb. 2006....so not everything in there may be accurate today

Edited by johnnyb

i HAVE seen head on sardines. they would work for pike? i was thinking something along the lines of 6-8", think those would work? or should i go bigger or smaller? last year when we went we werent able to get much more than 3-4" live minnows up there..didnt have much luck

ryan

We use frozen smelt here all the time and I've never heard of anyone questioning it. We buy them at No Frills here in Elliot Lake.

It's the cheapest bait around. Especially good for lake trout from shore in the spring when the trout are looking for easy pickings. They're usually available whole.

Edited by Bob

Check the fisheries act to be sure about using them for bait. In the summary it may state no organic baits. Which includes live or dead animals, plants or part of. Call the local mnr office to be sure.

Now another ? on the same topic. Smelts that get washed up and caught between rocks on shore. Can they be used for bait in that same waterbody, that doesnt have a restriction on organic baits. They are there naturally.

Edited by vinnimon