ice fishing toronto islands

castgame

~~~~There is only on ferry running over to Ward Island, and from there you have a long walk around to the channels, and as soon as you get set up on some safe ice the Police arrive, to tell to get off the ice. Put there are some small Pike in the area, with some small Perch, and Sunfish.

I hate to burst your bubble but I can confidently say that you wouldn't be the first person to ice fish out there in a hundred years because I've done it in the past 10. 1 small pike to show for the effort.

Good luck if you go and be very careful of the ice out there. Thickness changed from 10 inches to 2 inches very quickly in the areas I was in and this was after the ice being in for weeks!!

I hate to burst your bubble but I can confidently say that you wouldn't be the first person to ice fish out there in a hundred years because I've done it in the past 10. 1 small pike to show for the effort.

Good luck if you go and be very careful of the ice out there. Thickness changed from 10 inches to 2 inches very quickly in the areas I was in and this was after the ice being in for weeks!!

i wasn't serious about being the first :rolleyes:

can the police tell me to get off the ice? is there some sort of municipal bylaw? the fish are in season and the ice is (preumably, i'll check) safe... how can they kick me out?

same question about grenadier pond. i know the pond's posted 'no access', but how is that enforceable?

where were you fishing that the ice thickness changed so quickly? is it because of current in the channels? i was thinking by the rcyc...

Edited by castgame

I spoken to one old guy who tried fishing for pike at the Spit few winters back. He said the fishing was great and that the pike where huge. He was icefishing in one of the many bays. But I warned him... if he goes through hes done!!

Cause no one would know hes there and no way to get help.

dsn

Thought about setting up a quick strike rig for pike at the main lagoon on the spit.

Never did it though. Caught many big pike there from a boat in late March, thinking they must be under the ice in the winter as well. :rolleyes:

Years ago when i lived in the city, we tried at Ontario place under the walkway... Got kicked out pretty fast

Was there with Snag today. Security came down and said that we should leave.

"Why would I do that??"

"Because it isn't safe, and this is Ontario Place property"

"Ice is 6in thick, and this is naviguable waterway, I'm not on OP property now am I."

"I have no problem calling the police"

"Go ahead, I've never had a problem with the police"

And so on and so forth.. She finally left and we thought best not to push our luck.

Blasted glorified night watchmen.. Some yop always has to ruin our fun!! :wallbash:

I'm heading to the Islands with a friend on Wednesday. Please organize a search party if I don't check in later.

cheers :canadian:

Edited by Highdrifter

Was there with Snag today. Security came down and said that we should leave.

"Why would I do that??"

"Because it isn't safe, and this is Ontario Place property"

"Ice is 6in thick, and this is naviguable waterway, I'm not on OP property now am I."

"I have no problem calling the police"

"Go ahead, I've never had a problem with the police"

And so on and so forth.. She finally left and we thought best not to push our luck.

Blasted glorified night watchmen.. Some yop always has to ruin our fun!! :wallbash:

I'm heading to the Islands with a friend on Wednesday. Please organize a search party if I don't check in later.

cheers :canadian:

yeah, i don't get how they figure they can kick you out. if i can be there in a canoe when the water's soft, what's the difference on ice? seems like a lot of bluffing to me. i'd like to have that convo with the cops, actually.

let me know how your island excursion goes! pm me wed night so i don't have to organize a party :D