Is there something Wrong with me?

ryanheritage

I have have come to the conclusion I want to fish for a living weather it be a show host, a tourney fisher, or just win the lotto and stay on the water for life... CAn anyone help God?, Ontarion lotto Corp? I can't stand being a corporate slave NO MORE!!! Any one else want to rebel and fish for a living!!!!!!!! lol What would you like to do if you didn't have to do what your doing? If you had the chance is there anyone out there that would do something else?

DSC00179.JPG

now, not everyone..

but for many, once you do it for a living...it just becomes a job

and some of the fun leave......

and I love fishing too much..to make it a job...

now if I win the lottery..sorry make that..when I win the lottery, I just might go fishing every day...

I am just soo passionate about fishing... I eat sleep breathe it... lol And I don't even catch alot of fish or big ones either. I just love the whole adventure with getting out on the water and trying.... A crap day fishing to me is better then a great day doing anything else. it's like i am addicted.

Some wise words spoken there Terry...

I just read an interesting book on the professional bass fishing lifestyle, a good read and an eye opener in some aspects.

As for the addiction, isn't that why we are all here on this site? :lol:

Tony

If you wanna fish for a living start looking for a job. also practice your techniques because you have to be good to fish for a living. I have wanted to do it since I was about 3 years old and finally got my opportunity this year to be a guest services/guide person at a very reputable lodge. Hopefully the beginning of the rest of my life fishing and I can't wait.

ATF

Some people asked me why I didn't try to persue music as my career, but as Terry mentioned, I didn't want music to EVER become my job. I enjoy playing music a lot, and it used to be my number one hobby...until fishing came along...LOL. I still have a band, but making it in the music industry isn't just going up on stage and playing...I'm sure working in the fishing industry is the same in some regards.

That being said...it's nice to think about fishing for a living that's for sure!!!

Edited by ccmtcanada

I used to work with a guy who bought a lodge up near Elliot Lake. Frontier Lodge actuallly. Think its on Rawhide lake? Anyway, trying to get him on the phone is like pulling teeth because he is out tending to some repair, or cooking for the guests, or portaging to a camp to retrieve an outboard motor one of the clients let go to the bottom of the lake. Or setting up sponsors and prizes for in Ice fishing tourny, ......or cleaning someones fish. or yada yada........its a non stop job. A buddy of mine went to see him for a long weekend at the camp, and saw him for 5 minutes the whole weekend. lol. I knowy our not exactly referring to a lodge owner position.........but im sure the stories are all the same once it becomes a living.

I'd much rather be doing something fishing related every day of my life than an office job or something else. I'm the type of guy who likes to be busy most of the time anyways. I'm in school to become a forestry technician but dropped that idea when this opportunity came along for me. I still have my diploma to fall back on if it doens't work out for me though. I guess that would be a good bit of advice too. Get qualifications for doing an alternate job just incase you don't like it as much as you thought you would. But other than that if you are that passionate go for it.

ATF

I'd rather be able to fish all the time than fish for a living. For the very reason others said, I wouldn't want it to become"Just a job". I highly doubt that fishing would become just a job, I love it too much. But I won't take that chance.

Do you want a million dollars in the bank as a pro fisherman? It's easy...

Start with 5 million.

:)

Charles

P.S. You don't need to be rich to fish tournaments. I'm certainly not what I would consider rich. You just need to be dedicated and willing to do what it takes and make other sacrifices in order to be able to do it.

Thank god !!!! :thumbsup_anim: I thought it was just me I had my wife read this thread to prove Im normal (at least on this site)After my wife and kids are taken care of any free time and money goes into fishing its all I think about and want to do,just 20 min in the summer along the river can melt away an entire day of stress for me .

I honestly spend more hours reading the posts on this site then I do work in the day. I need someone to ban me from this site from the hours of 9-6 I never get any work done. I am really think I am obsessed lol.... I read the posts and look at the pics and go off into a dream about being on the water bringing in fish. its causeing me problems lol... II know you guys/gals are reading this thinking to yourself "really how bad can he be?" but its bad. So with that note ban me from 9-6 and I will start preping for the season (open water) to start. this year I will have to get into at least three tourneys. I just gotta try...lol. Oh and if you see me on between the hours of 9-6 tell me to get a life I am getting too consumed by fish stories and the thought of fishing. I can't concentrate and when your a building consultant you need to be one your game so this is my plea to my fellow OFC's lol help me its intervention time. LOL

Hi My name is Jon and I am a fishaholic :)

Some sound advice though ... why ruin a passion by making it into a job ....

Do what you have to do for financial security ... and MAKE time for your passion .... you can do it .... I have done it all my life ...

I really dont think that you have to be 'in the business' to make the time to enjoy it .... in fact I think its a lot easier to do when you are NOT in the business.

And the best part of it all is that you can do it with whom and when and where YOU chose ... keep it that way and it will always be your passion... and even if you dont always get to do it right when you want .. its the 'want' that makes it so special ....

And as someone said already .. its the shared 'want' that makes us OFC'rs a family :)

Edited by camillj

get married to a guy? huh? lol I hope yer teasing.. lol

Naw my Fiance is amazing she doesn't care what I spend on fishing cause she knows how happy it makes me and that I will definetly get my money's worth. She even said for me to buy a new boat ( a bigger one) she likes the tracker or legend packages lol she was looking at them without me... hmmm

get married to a guy? huh? lol I hope yer teasing.. lol

Naw my Fiance is amazing she doesn't care what I spend on fishing cause she knows how happy it makes me and that I will definetly get my money's worth. She even said for me to buy a new boat ( a bigger one) she likes the tracker or legend packages lol she was looking at them without me... hmmm

Sounds like she's a keeper. My wife is a little interested,but if I take her fishing who'll do all the work :worthy:

i hear ya bookoobeast. I'm sure you're not the only one here.

When i had to send in my university applications about two years ago, i posted on the old board to get some opinion from all the fellow board members as to what to apply for. Back in the day i had no idea what i wanted to do and everything in my head was ... fishing, fishing, and more fishing. I was disappointed when i found out that there's no university that offers fishing-ology, well the closest thing to it was Marine Biology at U of Guelph. Meanwhile i also applied to other things like Engineering, Math and Life Sci.

I don't think we can dig up the posts on the old board anymore but i got similar responses. Find a good daytime job that you enjoy which can support you financially and you can fish all you want when you're not at work. Knowing that i don't really like biology other than the fact that it's about fish, i took the advice and went with Civil Engineering (planning to specialize in Water resources/Stormwater management).

I'm now in my 2nd year and i am happy with everything so far. What i'm studying/doing is also somewhat related to fishing, all i need right now is to graduate, find a job, and get a boat :D.

I also daydream and play with my reels/fishing rods pretty much everyday. LOL. so don't worry, you are normal.

It shouldn't be long now...