A Frightening Yet Exciting Career Change

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Becoming a licensed tradesman was without a doubt, the best thing I ever did. I don’t even want to think about where I’d be right now if I hadn’t committed myself to it.

Are you beginning your apprenticeship with a paying company, or are you enrolled in a pre-apprenticeship program? You should be aware that there are hundreds of guys that take pre-apprenticeship training courses each year while only dozens of actual apprenticeships are signed.

What this means to you is that if you graduate anywhere near the middle of the pack (and don't know someone who knows someone) your chances of landing an apprenticeship are not super-great. There are but a handful of good opportunities available to graduates each semester...you have to soundly crush all your classmates if you want a real shot at one of them. When employers ask your instructors who the best student in the class is (and they will) you want them to say, without hesitation, "Dr. Salvelinus has worked harder and has taken his training more seriously than any other."

Good luck and kick butt.

as some of you may know i have worked for 5 years in the lamprey control program with the dfo, a season with a provincial fish hatchery and 3 years on top of that with coaster brook trout and lake sturgeon projects within the mnr...

after 8 years of trying to get a good job, and having never even had a benefit package, enoughs enough... the gov't must be "entitled" somewhere else because my experience is that it is far from it in the lower echelons....

so this fall, after another layoff i looked into options as far as a career change. i'm happy to announce that as of january 31st i'll begin training as a welder, hopefully to end up working in structural steel and ironwork.

wish me luck!

Hey Doc,

First off, per your wish, I hope nothing but the best of luck to you and your new career.

I think I read in another post that you are a Fleming graduate? I want to thank you for your current post as it provides positive affirmation for a tough decision that my son had to make last November.

Sean is a first year student @ Fleming (Lindsay campus) and was originally enrolled in Fish & Wildlife with the intention to do the 3rd year NR law enforcement program. During his first semester, Sean had the opportunity to meet a number of 2nd & 3rd yr students in the F&W/NRLE program. We new up front that 'job placement' would be a challenge and 'contract positions' (many out of province) were the 'norm' upon graduation. But after Sean got to know these 2/3 yr students, it became apparent that the 'challenge' of becoming a CO would become a 'long shot'.

All student have an opportunity in the first semester (by reading week) to change programs for 2nd semester. So he did some further research and investigation and met with course co-ordinators/students and learned that Resource Drilling & Blasting had excellent (100% placement) post graduate career opportunities. Sean was accepted into the program and feels much more confident about his future.

So Doc, because of your post (& past experience) I am feeling very comfortable & confident about my son's program/career change. I want to say 'Thank You'.good.gif

Best regards,

Simon

Edited by pikeslayer

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Hey Doc,

First off, per your wish, I hope nothing but the best of luck to you and your new career.

I think I read in another post that you are a Fleming graduate? I want to thank you for your current post as it provides positive affirmation for a tough decision that my son had to make last November.

Sean is a first year student @ Fleming (Lindsay campus) and was originally enrolled in Fish & Wildlife with the intention to do the 3rd year NR law enforcement program. During his first semester, Sean had the opportunity to meet a number of 2nd & 3rd yr students in the F&W/NRLE program. We new up front that 'job placement' would be a challenge and 'contract positions' (many out of province) were the 'norm' upon graduation. But after Sean got to know these 2/3 yr students, it became apparent that the 'challenge' of becoming a CO would become a 'long shot'.

All student have an opportunity in the first semester (by reading week) to change programs for 2nd semester. So he did some further research and investigation and met with course co-ordinators/students and learned that Resource Drilling & Blasting had excellent (100% placement) post graduate career opportunities. Sean was accepted into the program and feels much more confident about his future.

So Doc, because of your post (& past experience) I am feeling very comfortable & confident about my son's program/career change. I want to say 'Thank You'.good.gif

Best regards,

Simon

I went to Sault College for F and W but it makes no matter, the job field is tough. It's not impossible but you really have to leave an impression where ever you work, and you have to get used to no/partial benefits, extensive travel, and a modest wage. I've stuck it out in this field as long as I can but fishing is too expensive a hobby to work in that field!

To all those with advice on the skilled trades, thanks a lot!

...and the goal is to be at the top of the class! I'm a pretty smart guy when I want to be, and enjoy working with my hands.

you can bet on it! thanks dara!

Like i said earlier, Congrats on good luck on the move bud.

Ever since i left the DFO, I have not looked back. leaving that field was the best decision i ever mad in regards to employment, and i am sure you will feel the same. Although it was a fun job, i look at it as a great summer job and not one in which is condusive to family life or a real career. Lots of broken and miserable families in that area.

Good luck...you will enjoy it.