Ice Conditions - Pinned/Sticky

onebigtoe

Just a suggestion, I see a lot of questions and decent supply of Ice Conditions on our lakes. But wonder if it would be a good idea to create stickys for specific Lakes etc.

example.

2011 Nipissing Ice Conditions, etc.

I like seeing the updates as they flow in and would be nice to have this available at our fingertips, as I don't see this anywhere on the net. I can give an update after I return from Nipissing on the weekend of Jan 14th! :Gonefishing:

I don't know if this community wants the responsibility of believing random people that any lake is safe or unsafe..

they post that cooks bay is safe and a guy goes through is this site responsible for not checking the accuracy of the info

I don't know I am just throwing it out there

I don't know if this community wants the responsibility of believing random people that any lake is safe or unsafe..

they post that cooks bay is safe and a guy goes through is this site responsible for not checking the accuracy of the info

I don't know I am just throwing it out there

I wasn't thinking it would be something official or legally binding if that is what you mean. Not sure how else to get a general idea of ice conditions unless I drive 4hours to check the ice. :sarcasm:

I get where you are coming from, but the posts are already coming in, just thought it would be a nice thing to have for members.

I hear you but to me

if it's a pinned and updated post it could seem far more official then random post about a day on the ice

but I am just giving my opinion, the mods will decide if they want to get involved in this

Guest gbfisher

No ice surface is safe. One way yer good the other yer in a hole, through a crack, through some unsafe ice due to springs...and so on.

Never consider ice to be safe ever. It changes all the time.

I use the "Don't go if ya don't know" idea. Then there's always the "chip chip step" idea which works all the time.. :good:

We will not pin a "safe ice" thread nor will we endorse or encourage members to fish certain areas. If you want to know where it's safe, post the question. If you REALLY want to know where it's safe, go check it out. There are enough reports here

It is NOT safe in the Sound. The path the ice breaker made back on the 29th is wide open as of this morning! I think the grain boat left today... Mild temps and snow all week = it won't be safe anytime soon!

Edited by irishfield

We will not pin a "safe ice" thread nor will we endorse or encourage members to fish certain areas. If you want to know where it's safe, post the question. If you REALLY want to know where it's safe, go check it out. There are enough reports here

Hope I did not imply "Safe Ice" thread? Is there such a thing? I guess it takes a bit more education than the potential users which may take a pinned post about Ice Conditions as Safe Ice. No worries, I probably should have known better than to make a suggestion.

ahh no worries man.... if you ask questions I'm sure you'll get the answers you are looking for on this site.

Formal ice conditions are hard to find on the net for a reason....it's hard to keep information accurate for every location and conditions change quickly.

It's just easier to read the posts or ask questions imo.

Hope I did not imply "Safe Ice" thread? Is there such a thing? I guess it takes a bit more education than the potential users which may take a pinned post about Ice Conditions as Safe Ice. No worries, I probably should have known better than to make a suggestion.

Onebigtoe, feel free to PM me about Nipissing. I am on it every week and I contribute to several forums and read several blogs about daily fishing on Nipissing. I will tell you what I have read/ know but you have to decide on how you use that info.

I hope gbfisher's "chip, chip, step" is not the reason for your board name :w00t: ?

We have always encouraged people to make suggestions however if it is one that we decline to act on please do not be offended. Responsibly and liability plays heavily in all of our decisions here.

Art