What's new and where's the sense in it?

Garry2Rs

People won't buy tackle that they already own. So the guys who sell this crap have to keep inventing something else you can't possibly already own .... then convince you that you just can't live without it. All for the incredibly low, low price of just $179.95, no less.

What? How can you even begin to call yourself an angler unless you have an IM-19 Titanium Garry Two R's Signature Edition Pro Graphite 5'9" Rock Bass twitchin' stick, complete with micro Magnum Guides and multi-piece compound grip made of real genuine not-to-be-imitated synthetic foam? Perfectly made to balance the all-new Solopaddler signature series reel, with 127 ball bearings hand-made by Swiss craftsmen and pre-loaded with the all-new 1.4 lb. test Spectral Carbon Wonder Filament, utilizing the latest in micro-polymer technology to make a line you can't even see!

English translation: the same reel we made 15 years ago, but now it's orange and silver, and the same rod we sold in the 60s for $19 but now it's $200 and has a handle made up of old bicycle grips. Line up!!

:worthy:

View Postgarry2rs, on 02 January 2011 - 04:27 AM, said:

"If you tell a lie that's big enough, and you tell it often enough, people will believe you are telling the truth, even when what you are saying is total crap." [/b][/i]

In fishing terms I think that's sort of like the benefits of fluorocarbon...

So far you are the only person I know of who's even hinted at that.

That's exactly how I feel about fluorocarbon and I've had many a heated discussion about it with friends. :)

OH YES--- I think it is safe to say--- Same as the Global Warming Scam-- Carbon Tax---

Great post.

With some of my other hobbies (diving, golf, etc) gear piggery was a major problem. There were always some nifty new pieces of "must have" gear and I was a sucker for all of it. I couldn't go diving without the back of my van being loaded with boxes and tanks and suits. Typically I'd have enough gear to put 3 people in the water well-equipped. That's ridiculous ........ but fun, dammit.

Naturally I've gone at fishing the same way since I rediscovered it a few years ago. I was just down in the storage cage the other day sorting out rods and reels. I have more than 18 setups of which I really only use 4 or 5 for different situations. Ironically when I head out to the river which is my most frequent fishing happening I'll be wading so of course I need to strip down to the essentials. I carry one rod and everything else goes in a small canvas bag over my shoulder. The hemostats and clippers are on a light bungee around my neck. The license and cam are in the bib pocket of my waders. I'm the poster boy for minimalism as long as no one sees my storage room.

Instead of having threads talking about species specific rods, reels, lines and lures let's all try to identify the gear that is most generically successful in it's application.

FIGHT BACK!!!!!!!! :thumbsup_anim:

JF

English translation: the same reel we made 15 years ago, but now it's orange and silver, and the same rod we sold in the 60s for $19 but now it's $200 and has a handle made up of old bicycle grips. Line up!!

It all started with cars and clothing. My grandpa had one good suit and one work suit. He removed the vest and jacket when he got home at night and put on a cardigan over the shirt and tie. Once the work suit wore out the good suit became everyday and a new one was purchased for Sundays. They were always grey. I was told that was why old houses didn't have huge closets - no clothes to fill them. Today my wife and I each have a huge closet full of clothes for dressup, work, play and laying around the house. It's crazy.

And why do we need to change cars every 3 or 4 years?

JF

It all started with cars and clothing. My grandpa had one good suit and one work suit. He removed the vest and jacket when he got home at night and put on a cardigan over the shirt and tie. Once the work suit wore out the good suit became everyday and a new one was purchased for Sundays. They were always grey. I was told that was why old houses didn't have huge closets - no clothes to fill them. Today my wife and I each have a huge closet full of clothes for dressup, work, play and laying around the house. It's crazy.

JF

are u complaining ? :dunno: lol

JF

I remember that as a kid back when. 3 boys, one bedroom, one closet, one dresser.

We had one set of Sunday bests. couple of sets of decent everyday clothes. Never hear of having 20 pairs of pants and shirts. Nobody had a mountain of hats. We had 1 steamer chest for storing all the summer and winter gear out of season. Kinda limits how much fishing gear you can store away.

Guest Manitoubass

This thread made me laugh, lots of funnies....

Now,

I spent all of 2010 refining my tackle, I used to be the one to have a $2000 tackle box, lol, now, it has about $200 worth in it and I caught more fish, and higher quality fish this year than ever before. One thing is for certain, I'll never go fishing with jigs, grubs, live minnows and snap swivels, EVER! For cranks its nothing more than a few DT's and xraps.

Now, I also spent all year trying new rod/reel combos, and never been so frustrated with the gear. The rods are fine, with that I'm not picky, but for the life of me I can't find a spinning reel that doesnt break of malfunction after 2-3 months of heavy fishing.

When I was a kid, I had an ugly stik with a rapala reel, seriously, that rod has been fished a thousand times, still have it, and it still works(my son now uses it). It's 23 years old, haha.

Why cant I find a rod/reel combo like that now??????

When I was a kid, I had an ugly stik with a rapala reel, seriously, that rod has been fished a thousand times, still have it, and it still works(my son now uses it). It's 23 years old, haha.

Are you sure that Rapala labeled reels 23 years ago?

Back in the 70s I was given a tour of the Abu Garcia rod manufacturing plant, back when they still made their rods in the USA. Old timers might remember that back then, the fishing rod lineup started with the entry-level Blue Series rods. Above them, and priced about 50 percent higher, was the green coloured Avacado Series, followed by the upper-level Brown Series rods. Remeber them? If not, you may be able to google it. Top-of-the-line, if you had the money, was the prestige Black Series.

All rods had similar guides, reel seats, cork grips and metal ferrules, so the colour of the blank was how you told the serious guys from the beginners.

Problem was, they all used exactly the same blank - just painted different colours. Cheapie Blue Series rods sold for $19.95, while top-of-the-line Black Series rods were $49.99 to $59.99 - big money in those days.

The only thing different was the colour.

No one wanted the crappy Blue Series rods. Everyone spent more money for the otherwise identical Avacado, Brown or Black rods.

Nothing's changed today.

Not to center out Lew but he's someone many of us know. He has seen a lot of trends in fishing and could easily be identified as 'old school' in many ways. Yet, I don't think he'd be willing to downgrade that sexy boat; the four stroke Yamaha, colour electronics, the Calcutta TE, the fluoro leaders, the fin saver nets etc. It's enhanced his fishing pleasure.

Why do we do it? Because we can.

You've got me figured out pretty good Brian and I guess I can't disagree with you.

It sure is nice flying across the lake at crazy speeds while we're picking out our spots on the GPS as were listening to Sirius radio and thinking about which too expensive rod and reel combo to use when the sonar shows us where all the fish are sitting. :lol:

I often wonder though, if fishing wasn't actually more fun, or relaxing, back before we had all the fast boats and very expensive gear & gizmos to go along with it.

Fishing today is still fun but I think we're sometimes too pre-occupied with our toys, our speed, and out Jonesing everybody we know and we forget what it's really all about. :dunno:

....or maybe I just spend too much time thinking about the good ole days :lol::lol:

Back in the 70s I was given a tour of the Abu Garcia rod manufacturing plant, back when they still made their rods in the USA. Old timers might remember that back then, the fishing rod lineup started with the entry-level Blue Series rods. Above them, and priced about 50 percent higher, was the green coloured Avacado Series, followed by the upper-level Brown Series rods. Remeber them? If not, you may be able to google it. Top-of-the-line, if you had the money, was the prestige Black Series.

All rods had similar guides, reel seats, cork grips and metal ferrules, so the colour of the blank was how you told the serious guys from the beginners.

Problem was, they all used exactly the same blank - just painted different colours. Cheapie Blue Series rods sold for $19.95, while top-of-the-line Black Series rods were $49.99 to $59.99 - big money in those days.

The only thing different was the colour.

No one wanted the crappy Blue Series rods. Everyone spent more money for the otherwise identical Avacado, Brown or Black rods.

Nothing's changed today.

I remember those ABU rods Craig, I saved up for one of the avacado ones when I was a kid.

Drove my bike from Carlisle to Waterdown (long way for a 10 year old) to pick the rod up at the hardware store where I ordered it.

:)

Guest Manitoubass

Are you sure that Rapala labeled reels 23 years ago?

good point, i'm not sure when my dad purchased the reel???

still though, its old, lol

I remember those ABU rods Craig, I saved up for one of the avacado ones when I was a kid.

Drove my bike from Carlisle to Waterdown (long way for a 10 year old) to pick the rod up at the hardware store where I ordered it.

:)

I had one too - seven-foot Avacado Series medium action spinning rod, with a Mitchell 300 and 8 lb Royal Bonnyl, my reward for working 10 days straight, 10 hours per day, at the Toronto Sportsmen's Show in 1978.

I used that rod and reel for everything .... crappies under docks with jigs and a float, walleyes on Mepps spinners with a worm, largemouth in slop with weedless spoons, smallies on topwaters, even steelhead and cohos, when I would skip school and spend my days at the Humber and Credit. I caught more fish on that single rod and reel than I can even begin to remember.

Of course it was waaaay better than the Blue Series rod my buddy had :-)

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

Dave, that's because the kid lives on the other side of the lake. :)

So that's why the kid was laughing, I thought he was laughing with me, he was laughing at me. :whistling::D:D

People won't buy tackle that they already own. So the guys who sell this crap have to keep inventing something else you can't possibly already own .... then convince you that you just can't live without it. All for the incredibly low, low price of just $179.95, no less.

What? How can you even begin to call yourself an angler unless you have an IM-19 Titanium Garry Two R's Signature Edition Pro Graphite 5'9" Rock Bass twitchin' stick, complete with micro Magnum Guides and multi-piece compound grip made of real genuine not-to-be-imitated synthetic foam? Perfectly made to balance the all-new Solopaddler signature series reel, with 127 ball bearings hand-made by Swiss craftsmen and pre-loaded with the all-new 1.4 lb. test Spectral Carbon Wonder Filament, utilizing the latest in micro-polymer technology to make a line you can't even see!

Spiel, take this in, can you make me one buddy.