An evening walleye fishing trip

tjsa

My bud and I decided to do an evening walleye trip. Supposed to be little if any snow on our lakes now, so we loaded up the quads and off we went at 1:30 pm. Got in and set up by 4. Bright sunshine, with some clouds moving by, high of -2C.

Didn't take many pics, only 2 of the 5 have fish in them.

Our quads

IMG_1260.JPG

My quad and sleigh

IMG_1261.JPG

My buds new yamaha Bruin

IMG_1262.JPG

Quite a bit of action, all but one on the set lines, all pike. The below pic is the size we were getting.

IMG_1259.JPG

The action dies, so out came the stove and boiled up some deer sausage, mmmmmmmmmm.

We got one more pike, and missed a couple of fish, then just after sunset, I got an 11 inch walleye, swallowed the hook, so kept him for breakfast. No picture, it was covered in blood.

My bud pulls a line and starts jigging, and right away gets an 8 inch walleye, then a 19" walleye.

A picture of his fish.

IMG_1264.JPG

So I pull a line, and start jigging, and loose one right away just under the hole, my set line goes down, and I lose that one right under the hole, geeeez.

My bud gets another 10 inch walleye, then I got one about 13 inches on the set line. He then loses 2 on a set line right under the hole, sheesh. We had quite a few hits on the jigs, landing 3 more walleye, all under 11 inches, and 2 more pike. Its pretty dark now, and I miss a fish about 4 times jigging, so I dropped the set line back down that hole, and within 30 seconds got one more walleye about 14 inches.

In the next half hour, we had one more hit, but that was it, and it was now 9 pm. Fired up the quads to warm them up, as it was probably -10C now, packed up our gear, and headed to the truck.

Loaded up, and noticed there weren't any lights on the trailer. Looked at all the connections, all looked fine, but the transformer box on his Toyota was hanging loose. The company he had install it had used double sided tape(so we found out at the time) to secure it under the box,and it had come loose and was swinging around under the truck. Probably the reason. So we got to my place, put it in my driveway(he lives 20 min. out of town, and would only have to haul it back in for servicing), and locked it to my truck. Hooked up the trailer lights, and they all worked with my truck, so he at least knows now the problem is on his truck.

Haven't gotten home at midnight from a fishing trip for a long time :lol:

UUUUURRRPPP!!

Okay, 2 of those walleye are now gone, saving the last larger one for tomorrow.

Edited by tjsa

LOL, quad god, I don't think so, but the action was steady. Yes, quads are much more stealthy than snowmobiles, for sure, I could actually hear my sleigh in behind me while driving in, and out, they are much more quieter than snowmobiles.

We did have headlamps though, and I had a couple of the disposable lights from CTC, which have an upwards angle to them, to illuminate my set lines, on which, the flags I put on them, I also put on some reflective tape, and as such, got my last walleye keeper. Without the disposable, and reflective tape, I would probably have missed the hit.

Quads are amazing machines, I am still learning where they can go, and am still amazed where they can go, and over what terrain they can achieve, even my small Polaris 325 Magnum, can only imagine where some of the higher powered ones would take me.