What was it like waking up christmas morning?

misfish

Myself, I couldnt wait to wake up and open up my stocking, which was at the end of bed.Pops biggest work socks , were stuffed full.Think my parent thought if we had that,we wouldnt get them up to see what was under the tree to early.LOL

There was always the candy treats, and tangerine and colouring books and a pez and so much more.(a tradition I carried on with my two boys)

Those stuffed socks, held me and my 2 brothers and sis off for sbout 1/2 an hour,then it was time to head to the basement.The odd time we got caught and told just hang on,but most of the time my pop and mudder got up so we didnt get out of hand.Hey thats mine,no it,s mine.LOL

One christmas comes to mind. We got a shooting gallery,it was so cool.Still remember mudder saying,you be carefull.you,ll shoot yer brothers eye out.Where did we hear that before? :whistling:When they werent around, we played a little dif.LOL

When I got older and was playing hockey,I got the top of the line shin pads and elbow pads one christmas. I know my pop had put out for these and I really did appriciate them. I couldnt wait to get to the next practice to try them out.I was superman when I had them on.

When the boys were young,we went through the same thing.Up at 4 am and ready to rip all the presents apart.What a blast.

Christmas really is for kids,and as adults,we remember what it,s all about.

My heart is so full right now,it is such a beautiful feeling.

Please share your childhood christmas days. :santa:

Edited by BrianB

Mom and Dad were really good at keeping our belief in Santa alive.We as kids, never saw any gifts coming into the house, or heard any wrapping of gifts.

We would take our baths, put on our PJ's, and sit around the tv watching Red Skelton Christmas special, and Don messer.We would have milk and cookies, put some on a plate for Santa, and be in bed by 9.

Up at 5, my mom would be up before us all.She loved the looks on our faces.Our stockings were hung on our bedroom door knobs, and we would open the gifts inside.Then Mom would get Dad up, and ask him to go check in the parlor because she had heard a noise late at night,coming from that room.We would be so excited, we were almost vibrating.Dad would call my mom into the parlor, and we would be listening as she would say, Oh My !! What happened here! I think Santa may have stopped here last night.

That was our cueclapping.gif We would run down the hall, and just go crazy !! Gifts in what seemed like mountains all under the tree and in the corner near the tree.

It would take hours to open the presents. GI Joe,creepy crawlers, slinky,Gumbi,man from uncle, you name it.

We were very lucky children.Such good memories, such good parents.thumbsup_anim.gif

Who slept on Christmas? Lol

I would wait long enough for my parents to fall sleep then I'd creep into the living room and get my stocking! Rip that apart, then wait untill around 5 then start making a ruckus in hope that my parents would wake up.

I got one of those creepy crawler sets to mercman :) started making my first baits with it lol, I was so proud of them lmao.

Christmas Day.. I was a little bugger. I usually knew what was under the tree because I had unwrapped it and wrapped it back up. I can never forget the year my Brother got me a new train engine .. and I opened it .. played with it and it jumped the tracks breaking the front wheel assembly. I glued it back together enough it looked original and then when I opened it Christmas Day I purposely dropped it. I haven't changed much... lol

Our Christmas was a season, not just one or 2 days. it started with the Santa Claus parade. Cutting a fresh tree. Going to see the windows at Simpsons and Eatons in downtown Toronto, and seeing Santa there for the annual picture. There was carol singing and Christmas concerts at school where we sang real carols. At the Ex, in the Automotive building, they used to have a Winter Wonderland. The entrance was done up like a castle, but one year it was done up as Captain Crunch's ship the year they first brought out the cereal with crunchberries. You also got to see Uncle Bobby, Blinky, and ride a train through Santa's candy mines.

Our Christmases were a story book. Christmas eve was a Finnish affair. Gram would have spent weeks shopping and preparing for that feast. From about 7 in the evening, til 3 in the morning, there was a parade of family and friends through our door. Me, being the oldest, did coat duty for the guests when I was older.

The drinks flowed freely. You drank beer in quarts at Christmas, not some wee stubby pop. Us kids even got to have a bit of the Heering or aqvavit for toasts when the stepdad ( stiff anglo type) wasn't looking. There were 2 massive tables of food. On the first table would be ham and corned brisket or flank steak, and meatballs. There would be a mountain of coldcuts and cheeses, devilled eggs, veggies and dips, crackers, sil, etc, etc,.....

On the second table were the goodies. Right smack in the middle was this huge bowl of trifle. It would take us 2-3 day to finish it off. There was pulla, coffee cakes, cookies, squares, Christmas cake, tarts, etc....

As in the old country, we opened a couple of presents that evening. One of which was a new pair of home made PJ's or a housecoat. I used to have this brown inflatable hassock, that was my seat, for these occasions

Christmas was typically North American, and morn came real early. Stocking hung on the door or bed post to keep us occupied for a while. We were not allowed out of our rooms til Mom or Gord knocked on the door. We did not get a mountain of gifts, some presents were the usual socks, shirts, sweaters,but there was some good stuff that we cherished.

A few of our Christmases were lean. On those years, the firefighters, gave us Christmases to remember. The one year, we were to go to the station where they were hosting a party for the kids. My little brothers went, but I was stuck at home with the mumps . They came home with the biggest parcels I had ever seen. I got this set of army men that was out of this world back then. I still remember every piece. It came with 2 tanks, a halftrack, 2 jeeps, a truck, a spring loaded field piece, and 200 men. I played with those until I learnt how to blow up the tanks :devil:.

Afternoon came with the usual turkey dinner. There were many times where I was so stuffed with the Christmas eve leftovers, that I had no room left for the next dinner.

On the record player we listened to "sing along with Mitch", "The Robert Shaw choir", Bing, and "Favourite Christmas melodies by the Grenadier Guards", for days on end. On TV there was always some special on during prime time. Bob Hope, Andy Williams, Red Skelton, Peanuts, etc... Christmas day had only Christmas programming.

IT was a special and cherished time. Something we cannot repeat in our politically correct and modern society.

Right smack in the middle was this huge bowl of trifle. It would take us 2-3 day to finish it off.

Ahhh yes Bruce, always one of my favorites.

Every year my wife makes trifle and it's always my favorite part of Christmas dinner. There's a big one for dinner tonight, a smaller one for tomorrow and a 3rd for our guests to take home tonight after dinner.